dining etiquette

granny red

My husband and I will be sharing a table for 8 people on our next cruise in the Britannia restaurant. If there is one couple already seated when we arrive,assuming they are male and female, should my husband sit next to the female and should we remain in the same seats till our cruise is over?

My husband and I will be sharing a table for 8 people on our next cruise in the Britannia restaurant. If there is one couple already seated when we arrive,assuming they are male and female, should my husband sit next to the female and should we remain in the same seats till our cruise is over?

It is really a matter of personal choice, some people keep the same seats, others change each evening. It might be something to bring up on the first night to see what the consensus is.

The last trip i was on, we moved around slightly each night, it mixed things up very nicely and we had a great time for 7 nights... but i do agree, would be good to casually get a general concensus the first night so no one is stepping over toes..

hope you have a fab time... :)

Just watch out for the awkward situation that can occur when a couple are sat at a table of eight and another couple take the seats opposite them, leaving two spaces between each - and then a party of three turns up!

I was brought up to take the next available seat to those already sat down, but this appears to be changing - individual space and all that. Now I don't know what modern etiquette is any more!!!

The last trip i was on, we moved around slightly each night, it mixed things up very nicely and we had a great time for 7 nights...

That's what we do, too. Gives everyoone a chance for a differnet view every night and to be able to talk to different people at your table. It's fun! :)

I like to move around the table, as it is easier to "meet" the other people at a big table.

The main etiquette as far as I am concerned is NEVER discuss Politics, Religion,Race, or sexual orientation.

Next comes courtesy, if I am not coming to dinner the next night I always tell the waiter and the companions, so they do not sit waiting for me to appear, and of course each night I do go to the table I arrive on time. On one cruise, a couple came 20-30 mins late every night, even though it was Transatlantic with no ports days!

The last time we were on a cruise we were with family. We had a table for 8 and every night we shifted one seat to the left. That way everyone had a different view of the dining room from the beginning of the cruise until the end. It was fun but maybe would be a little harder with people you don't know.

I have tended to take the open seat with the best loaction on the first night. Then we generaly end up in the same seats each night. Some times a little change.

Never thought of a group of 3 but will keep that in mind. I do like the name card idea and not sitting in the same seats. Don't think most of us would actualy do that.

I guess the easiest way to solve the problem is sit next to those already at the table and then after the last table mate is introduced suggest that everhyone changes seats each night.

I think I will just ask for a table for two and save all the bother :)

Then you might miss some charming and interesting people! Trust me, after a few Martinis in the Commodore Club everyone either is convivial or seems so.....

Then you might miss some charming and interesting people! Trust me, after a few Martinis in the Commodore Club everyone either is convivial or seems so.....

Quite true, so on second thoughts..................;)

Good topic, as it has crossed my mind how to handle this as well.

On our last trip one couple was only there early the first night to take the best view seats and they were late or no shows every other night. Couples traded spots with each other but kept the same two seats each night.

At an eighter if we were second to show up we would tend to take opposite and only if a couple with smaller kids showed would we move that night. If it was two couples together coming in we would stay and then move the next night unless the new couples indicated they were uncomfortable being separated.

jimsgirl- Politics etc CAN be discussed if you feel people out, know when to back off and agree to disagree as required. It's a big part of many folks' lives and is one way I can figure out what makes other people tick. Not to criticize, just to understand how they got to thinking the way they do based on the realities (or lack thereof;)) around where they live. Our table mates last time were all from NYC. We thought what do farmers from S Alberta possibly have in common with these people? On the last night or 2 we discussed healthcare reform and found we were all on the same page on that anyway. The last night one of the men mentioned as we parted that he had reservations about having anything in common with us and was happy to find otherwise. The inference I understood was that he believed all Canadians were of a certain stripe. Just as I thought New Yorkers were. I did however have to bite my tongue previously when the subject of Our Sarah (as she is known around our house) came up. But she's their business, not ours. Of course politics discussed by people of different countries (unless they are at war or contemplating it) won't likely lead to vehement disagreements. Whereas people of the same country but from warring regions SHOULD avoid it. We were crossing while an election campaign raged at home one fall and ran into someone from Ontario. Now that could have gone bad very quickly. 'Waiter, that man who was here appears to have fallen overboard. May I have his desert?...'

Ryancoke your comments were very interesting. Firstly, I think the couple that showed up either late or not at all were quite rude.

As for politics I think this can get a good conversation going as long as it remains light hearted.

My husbands downfall is sport, especially English football, as he is fiercely loyal to his team. On our last cruise we met another mad football supporter who was a big fan of a rival team. This resulted in long long deep, almost heated discussions sometimes, so myself and the other guys wife often left them to it and enjoyed ourselves at the bar.!:)

I'm really glad this subject has come up as I too have been wondering about the etiquette for a table of 8. We have asked to be on an 8 on our cruise in June, having previously only had a 2. We were really lucky with our 2, being next to a lovely Mum and daughter who we got on really well with. I am still really nervous about joining a large table but all the comments on here seem to suggest it is a good choice. I don't want to do anything wrong!

Sarah

I'm really glad this subject has come up as I too have been wondering about the etiquette for a table of 8. We have asked to be on an 8 on our cruise in June, having previously only had a 2. We were really lucky with our 2, being next to a lovely Mum and daughter who we got on really well with. I am still really nervous about joining a large table but all the comments on here seem to suggest it is a good choice. I don't want to do anything wrong!

Sarah

Camgirl, on our last cruise we shared a table for 6 and we all got along great.

One couple were from Finland, the other couple from Brazil,(we still keep in touch) and us from UK. Luckily we were first to arrive at dinner most nights so had no problem with seating arrangements.

A little more worried this time as we are sharing a table for 8, but hopefully all will be fine.:)

We request tables for 6 or 8 on each of our cruises and we change seats each evening. Never had a problem and have enjoyed all of our campanions, though some more than others.

We have found people on cruises to be open and friendly. If there is an issue it is that at times they can be too friendly. On one cruise I ran into a dinner companion in the stair way and she proceeded to describe all her furniture to me, and she had a very large house.:( I was delighted it wasn't any larger. It was only a 9 day cruise.

One time we had a table for 10. we all got along very well. The only problem with this arrangement was it was a rectangular table and it was very difficult to hear the couple at the farthest point during most evenings.

We consider it a highlight of our cruises to meet new people at dinner. They have universally increased the pleasure of our cruise, and taught us new things about their city or country.

Thanks GrannyRed and LongTimeTvlr,

I'm sure we will be fine and will meet some lovely people, it just feels rather daunting at the moment! I'm worried about doing things wrong. I am really looking forwards to our cruise - only 7 weeks to go! I feel a buying frenzy coming on! Thanks for your reassurances,

Sarah

Thanks GrannyRed and LongTimeTvlr,

I'm sure we will be fine and will meet some lovely people, it just feels rather daunting at the moment! I'm worried about doing things wrong. I am really looking forwards to our cruise - only 7 weeks to go! I feel a buying frenzy coming on! Thanks for your reassurances,

Sarah

Just go with the flow. There is no correct or wrong way to deal with this, save avoiding anyone feeling awkward. And relax.

Some of us first sailed solo!

It can often seem as if one should be walking around constantly consulting a copy of Debrett's, but it really isn't the case (and anyway, everyone knows that Debrett's should only be read in your cabin :D). In reality, as long as you can avoid jabbing someone with a fork you will be fine.

I've committed some terrible faux pas almost everywhere I go, and somehow I still get invited back! Possibly the worst was snorting red wine out of my nose over an eminent, but unfortunately very short and white-haired, professor :eek:. Five years on, and no matter whether we are in the company of students or royalty, I am still greeted by him with a bellow of 'Ah, wine snorter'!!!

Mom and I (I am female) were seated at a 6 top with 2 M/F couples. Our table always shifted round a bit each night and we all sat next to someone else even though we were still sitting next to our companion, I think it helped that it didn't matter we were M-F-M-F while dining because we skewed the couples thing. It was fun and it made for much more interesting conversation as we all "met" someone new, and we got a different perspective of the dining room. None of this was set up beforehand, it just happened as the first couple to the table chose seats and we sort of drifted in and took what was open. I really did work out well.

• 5 months later...

It is a person’s personal wish as where to sit, as some be on the same seat till cruise gets over. Being familiar with dinner etiquettes is as essential as looking good as this will present you as a well mannered and sophisticated individual. It is very important to be aware of the basic dining etiquettes required at a formal dinner.

dining etiquette

Well,we requested a table of 8 in Queens grill and had a blast-all the rules about not discussing religion,race,sexual orientation and politics went out of the window...the maitre d' seated us two (British) with 2 Brits of Bangladeshi descent, a mother and daughter and 2 elderly American friends of Dorothy. It should never have worked,but it did.

We all had a blast and covered just about every subject under the sun. We also shifted seats a little each night...

as this will present you as a well mannered and sophisticated individual

I would much prefer people to present themselves to me as who they truly are. Many are not well mannered or sophisticated - but are still worth meeting and knowing. Remember - true character is what you are in the dark!! :)

Barry

Archived