How long from Civitavecchia to FCO?

lcumpire

I do trust you! We are both new to cruises, and your answers are so helpful!. Just finished our first cruise and liked it so much we are already planning number 2. We docked in Vancouver at 7 am. We disembarked at 9:30. I had said that we had no checked luggage and that we had a late flight back to U.S., so we didn't mind being among the last group to disembark.

Got off the ship fairly smoothly, but then once we got in the port building, it was a madhouse. Granted, we are inexperienced, but it seemed like a sea of people asking questions, not knowing what line to go to. There were lines forming in all directions, and no ropes to keep the lines orderly, and no one around to ask which line is which.

That is the main reason I am leery about Civitavecchia. If Vancouver was so crowded and disorganized, I can only imagine what C is like! Then again, I certainly wouldn't volunteer to disembark with the last group knowing I had an FCO flight to catch.

I have disembarked in Civitavecchia a few times and Vancouver for the first time last July. With all my travels I have to say Vancouver was my worst experience. The guys off loading the luggage would walk 4-5 together pushing one little cart and very slowly unpack the bags. Then a few would grab trollies in order to hopefully get passengers who wanted help with luggage......obviously so they could get tips. Then repeat. It was the slowest baggage unloading I have ever experienced and I have cruised a bit.

So I wouldn't base how well disembarkation goes on your Vancouver experience.

Disembarking at Civitavecchia from my experience goes much smoother.

Julie

I agree that disembarking at Citi is straight forward. We have flown out of FCO several times. About half of those times the airport was very crowded and the security lines long. Also, it was not always a clear line but a mass of people pushing to where the official line began. That said, we have never missed a late morning flight after a cruise.

All this makes me so happy to hear! I've decided to book a private transfer soon I leave to be waiting for me when I dock. That being said, anyone looking for a PT on Sept 30th from Citi, to the airport? :)

Just wondering for a followup for the folks who easily made their morning flights at FCO...what time did your ship begin disembarking? I see some cruises are scheduled for 5am, 6am, and even 7 or 8 am. I guess that makes a big difference for an 11 am flight if you arrive at 5 instead of 8.

• 3 months later...
My question (and I'm also a first time cruiser), is how do you make sure you are in the first group off the boat (or at least near the front of the line)? I would like to catch a flight out of FCO at 11:15, and our ship docks at 5am.

Depends on the cruise line. One common way is to carry your bags off. Another possible way is to be in a Suite. There may be a couple other ways, depending on the cruise line.

On top of that, the cruise line will ask your travel plans. An early flight will get you in an earlier group, but not as early as the previous two ideas.

11:15 is doable at FCO. You should be planning on private transport.

Depends on the cruise line. One common way is to carry your bags off. Another possible way is to be in a Suite. There may be a couple other ways, depending on the cruise line.

On top of that, the cruise line will ask your travel plans. An early flight will get you in an earlier group, but not as early as the previous two ideas.

11:15 is doable at FCO. You should be planning on private transport.

Our flight is at 1145. We are planing to walk off the ship with our luggage and have a car wait ing for us at 745 should get there by 845. That’s even enough time for your flight.lol. When do you fly home?

I am arriving a few days before my cruise and I will be staying in a hotel in Rome.

Who do you suggest I book a reservation with to transfer 2 people from the hotel to Civitavecchia port?

Anyone know how long the drive is?

Anyone know how much it will cost?

Which company did you use?

Wouldn't the driving time vary based upon hotel booked into? The standard comment here is about 75 minutes.

The cost will vary by which method you chose. Standard taxi will be the most expensive- upwards of 130 or so euros. Most vendors run 80-100 euros.

There are dozens of recommendations on this board...all you have to do is a little reading. We like Rome in Limo, great operation.