Cheaper booking strategies with kids

jlondon

We're finding that to have our two children (5 and 7) stay in a Balcony cabin with us it's cheaper to purchase an inside stateroom as well that we will never use then to just book a balcony room for the 4 of us. In other words, purchasing a Balcony + an inside room is cheaper than just a Balcony. How can this make sense for the cruise line? Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone discovered other secrets of booking to save money? Who do you book through? Going directly to NCL was also much more expensive then going to travel agents.

We're finding that to have our two children (5 and 7) stay in a Balcony cabin with us it's cheaper to purchase an inside stateroom as well that we will never use then to just book a balcony room for the 4 of us. In other words, purchasing a Balcony + an inside room is cheaper than just a Balcony. How can this make sense for the cruise line? Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone discovered other secrets of booking to save money? Who do you book through? Going directly to NCL was also much more expensive then going to travel agents.

That doesnt sound right . That would be 4 full fares instead of the 3rd and 4th at a reduced price. What are your numbers ? ;)

I would think that a little odd, but perhaps you aren't looking at just a basic balcony but some sort of suite cabin? I have two bookings made on NCL - one on the Star the other the Epic. My 3/4 person on the Star cost $199, on the Epic $249. No way on either of those trips could I have booked the other two in an inside cabin for $249 a piece.

What sailing, ship, etc are you looking at?

Sounds like you are trying to book 4 into a balcony cabin and can not. The balcony cabins that hold 4 are only a few and they may be gone. You can not book 4 into any balcony cabin even if you think your family will fit. Most have a capicity of 3 passengers no matter the age.

Please share the ship and date you are trying to book.

We booked on the Jewel to the Bahamas from NYC. We have a BB category balcony cabin that holds 4 (+ sign on the deck plan confirms this and the representative confirmed this) and then we booked an ocean view cabin on deck 5 category F. These two cabins together were cheaper than just booking the BB for the 4 of us.

You didn't provide the sailing date for us to actually be able to see what you are looking at. For instance though I pulled up the NCL Jewel on Oct. 17 and the BB is $809 for 1/2 and $339 for guests 3/4. The cheapest inside showing is a K at $519 for guests 1/2.

However the Oct 31 sailing has the BB at $809 and $489, with the inside still being available for $519 which would only be slightly higher than the balcony cabin rate. Guess it just really depends on the date you are sailing.

We booked on the Jewel to the Bahamas from NYC. We have a BB category balcony cabin that holds 4 (+ sign on the deck plan confirms this and the representative confirmed this) and then we booked an ocean view cabin on deck 5 category F. These two cabins together were cheaper than just booking the BB for the 4 of us.

Talk to an online TA before you do anything...we just booked 2 connecting OV's at a great price for 5 of us....and I do my research...I have checked everywhere and we got a good deal.

You will be paying1 & 2 person rates for all 4 of you rather than 1 & 2 and 3& 4

Why don't you just make it simple and save the cash......get the best 4 pax cabin you can live with....that would be an OV for me as I don't want to be in the midst of balcony smoke.

Are you saying that you are splitting up the family? There are no balconies on deck 5 and your kids will both have to sleep with you in a queen if you expect to keep them with you...unless you are giving them their own cabin:eek: You would be surprised what folks will do.

BTW, the Easter week cruises on this itin are very well priced.

The date we are sailing is 8/21 and the 3/4 person rate for a BB cabin is $1059 which is more than an outside cabin.

Sounds like good old supply and demand. If they have fewer cabins with a 4 person capacity, they are going to charge more for those. But it does seem to defy logic.

The date we are sailing is 8/21 and the 3/4 person rate for a BB cabin is $1059 which is more than an outside cabin.

We have 4 kids and when we sail it is always OV connecting......we hate balconies but even if we didn't....we understand we can't have it both ways...either take the family and get appropriate cabins or leave them home....which would mean none of us cruise because we like to cruise as a family.

Could there possibly be some type of system error? That is a crazy amount for 3/4 person rates. If I was paying that for 3/4 person I'd start looking at suites. We are booked on the Pearl over Thanksgiving and are paying 3/4 rates of $349 pp in an AF (mini-suite). I can't imagine that that 3/4 rate would be more at the end of August when many children are already back in school then over a national holiday! Also I'm sure I read somewhere recently that NCL is have a 3/4 for $99 on select sailings and I thought that included Bahamas. Check around before you book that rate.

Also, be aware of the fact that some lines, if you are booked in a cabin with less people than the cabin can hold (2 booked in a quad cabin), if the line needs the quad, they can move you to a cabin that holds only 2.

If you were to do as you are suggesting, and book the ocean view room for the kids for the cheaper price, expecting to have them sleep in your room, what will you do if they end up moving you from your quad to a double, because they need it? They have the right to do this, and I believe it's written on the cruise contract or somewhere else, so that people know that they may not be able to keep cabins that hold more than they are booking for.

Just a thought. If this happens, you are going to have to split up and have one adult with one child in the balcony, and one adult and a child in the ocean view on another deck.

I might look around and see if there is a lower cabin category for 4 that makes more sense financially than take this risk.

ETA: I just looked and there are only 4 regular balcony cabins left that are quads and they are all Cat BB. Other than that, you have to go down to ocean view or up to suite level. So that's why the 3/4 pricing is so high...supply and demand.

I would be really worried if I booked a quad cabin with only 2 people on a ship that comes out of NY pretty much the last week of the summer. I can guarantee that there will be a lot of families on board, and there is a chance that they will move you to a double cabin to free up the quad for a family of 4.

I can't imagine that that 3/4 rate would be more at the end of August when many children are already back in school then over a national holiday!

NYC schools do not go back until after Labor Day. So for an August 21 sailing, they have 2 more weeks of vacation left before school starts. And since this cruise goes out of NY, you'll see a lot of local families taking their end of summer vacations.

And here in NJ, my district goes back the Thursday before Labor Day, so we're cruising on August 22nd.

Also, be aware of the fact that some lines, if you are booked in a cabin with less people than the cabin can hold (2 booked in a quad cabin), if the line needs the quad, they can move you to a cabin that holds only 2.

If you were to do as you are suggesting, and book the ocean view room for the kids for the cheaper price, expecting to have them sleep in your room, what will you do if they end up moving you from your quad to a double, because they need it? They have the right to do this, and I believe it's written on the cruise contract or somewhere else, so that people know that they may not be able to keep cabins that hold more than they are booking for.

Just a thought. If this happens, you are going to have to split up and have one adult with one child in the balcony, and one adult and a child in the ocean view on another deck.

I might look around and see if there is a lower cabin category for 4 that makes more sense financially than take this risk.

ETA: I just looked and there are only 4 regular balcony cabins left that are quads and they are all Cat BB. Other than that, you have to go down to ocean view or up to suite level. So that's why the 3/4 pricing is so high...supply and demand.

I would be really worried if I booked a quad cabin with only 2 people on a ship that comes out of NY pretty much the last week of the summer. I can guarantee that there will be a lot of families on board, and there is a chance that they will move you to a double cabin to free up the quad for a family of 4.

Good point. We have booked cabins next to family only to discover at check in that they were moved across to the other side of the ship. This would be much more of an issue in the OP's scenario than it was for us, but we were disappointed at the time.

How can they move you if you have booked a specific cabin. At the very least, they should upgrade you if they have to move you.

How can they? They have the right - and no, they don't have to give you a BETTER cabin, just an equivalent cabin. In our case, we were told it was for safety reasons - and they have absolute say when it comes to safety issues. They have to balance the passenger distribution among life boats. Not sure if that is the only reason it could happen, but it was the reason when it happened to us. We were new to cruising at that time.

OP is right on the money here. I just tried to book a phantom reservation on her cruise, and #3/4 passengers in a BB are $1059.00, #1/2 in a KK are $859.00. Even if they get moved out of the 4 passenger BB, a 5 and 7 year old should be able to sleep together in the pullout couch/loveseat deal in a 3 passenger room with no problem. Amazing!

Archived