Just wondering

sapphire_407

Why doesn't Carnival and Royal Caribbean have a cruise that goes from Tampa to New Orleans? They could also have a port stop in Mexico. I live near Tampa and would LOVE it.

Not really sure...but...

I know Carnival used to. My first cruise was on Sensation from Tampa with port stops at Grand Cayman, Cozumel and New Orleans.

The only real problem with that itinerary was that it started a cruise habit.

Probably because sailing that route requires Carnival to sail to a "distant foreign port" (because it's not a closed loop cruise) and I would bet that just like on the West Coast, Cozumel isn't considered a "distant foreign port". That would be my guess :)

Not really sure...but...

I know Carnival used to. My first cruise was on Sensation from Tampa with port stops at Grand Cayman, Cozumel and New Orleans.

Yep we did it twice within 6 months. Went with BIL and SIL the first time and BIL didn't like the heat so we didnt see too much so we booked it again by ourselves.

Was a great trip. I'd do it again.:)

P.S. After reading again I see the OP wants a cruise to Tampa to New Orleans. As LollyLew says that's not going to happen.

Bill

Not really sure...but...

LOL LITown! My first Carnival cruise was on the Sensation, October 2000! That very same itinerary, and very funny that I am now also hopelessly addicted to cruising!:D

I still remember how the ship moved going around the bends in the Mississippi. A great cruise memory!

It's because of the Jones act - a part of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. A foreign flagged ship (CCL ships are registered to Panama) cannot transport passengers from one U.S. port directly to another. The law was designed to benefit the U.S.Merchant Marine industry

It's because of the Jones act - a part of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. A foreign flagged ship (CCL ships are registered to Panama) cannot transport passengers from one U.S. port directly to another. The law was designed to benefit the U.S.Merchant Marine industry

Then, how about the ships that leave Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and make a stop in Key West?

I believe it's the Passenger Services Act and not the Jones Act. I believe the Jones act has to do with cargo.

You can't start at one US port and end at another foreign port unless you visit a "distant" foreign port.

In the NY cruise that stops in Port Canaveral first, if you missed the cruise leaving from NT you wouldnt be able to join the cruise in Port Canaveral as you'd be starting at one US port and ending in another and there would be a $300 fine pp.

I have read that some cruise lines let you pay the fine and join the cruise at a US port.

Bill

Archived