Amsterdam Layover- Help w/ Options

Looking for suggestions in Amsterdam. We opted for a 6 hour layover (flying out of Bergen, Norway, connecting in Amsterdam before heading back to FL). We have never been to Amsterdam and were hoping to be able to take a quick trip into the city during our layover. We will not have any luggage. My questions:

- how long does it take to get from the airport to Central Station by train?

- how long by taxi (arriving at 8:30 am; fly out at 2 pm on a Tuesday and would want to be there atleast one hour prior to flight so returning around noonish)?

- assuming we have 3 hours +/- to spend, we were hoping to walk around and take the kids to the Anne Frank museum. I understand we need to get advance tickets for this. Anything else that we should do (and could do) given our very limited time? Any other must sees?

Thanks very much for any info. Much appreciated.

Looking for suggestions in Amsterdam. We opted for a 6 hour layover (flying out of Bergen, Norway, connecting in Amsterdam before heading back to FL). We have never been to Amsterdam and were hoping to be able to take a quick trip into the city during our layover. We will not have any luggage. My questions:

- how long does it take to get from the airport to Central Station by train?

- how long by taxi (arriving at 8:30 am; fly out at 2 pm on a Tuesday and would want to be there atleast one hour prior to flight so returning around noonish)?

- assuming we have 3 hours +/- to spend, we were hoping to walk around and take the kids to the Anne Frank museum. I understand we need to get advance tickets for this. Anything else that we should do (and could do) given our very limited time? Any other must sees?

Thanks very much for any info. Much appreciated.

With such a short time in Amsterdam and since you have never been there, I would strongly suggest that you take the canal boat tour. It gives you a one hour introduction to all the highlights of the city while enjoying the various canals, bridges and history.

Don't do the Ann Frank House. If you cannot be in Amsterdam for more than a few hours, in my opinion, it would be the last place to go.

From the cruise terminal it is a short walk to the train station where, perhaps you can store luggage. The train is the best way to get to Schiphol, plus the canal boats depart just southwest of the station. Ask and you will easily find it.

The simplest way to get to the city is by taking the train. As you exit Customs, the entrance to the train station, and multiple ticket windows, are right there.

Centraal Station lets you out right in downtown Amsterdam. The tourist information office is, literally, across the street. Also near by are the canal boat tours which, as Lair Bear suggested, is a good way to get an overview of the city.

I also agree about skipping the Anne Frank house. It would take up too much of the short amount of time you have. I would just suggest taking the canal boat tour then just walking around the city, taking the side streets along the canals. I recently did some posts on my travel blog regarding Amsterdam so you might want to check that out. (see below) It includes a link to Lair Bear's walking tour and information, if you would like, on a place I purchased cheese.

I think it is about 10-15 minute by train to CS so probably a half hour to get into to town by the time you get your ticket find the train etc...

It is very short time frame to go into town be sure to check the train schedule so you are back in time to go through security again in plenty of time for your flight.

Not sure what time Anne Frank house opens but you may be in a line up

A canal boat tour would be another good thing to do ..they are right near the CS.

I would do your research before you leave then you have some idea of what you can do in 3 hrs

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml?language=en

Enjoy

Lyn

It is close but it can be done. From the airport to Centraal Station is a ride of about 20 minutes, you will have about 4-6 trains each hour.

Absolutely book Anne Frankhuis online before. Usually there are no lines in the morning, but better be sure. http://www.annefrank.org/en/

Just this week the huis celebrated its 50th birthday.

Take either a cab from Centraal Station, or tramnr. 14 and get off at Westerkerk. It is walking distance, but it might take up too much of your time.

Check those maps:http://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

B3 for anne frankhuis, B4 for Centraal Station.

After that indeed make one of the canaltours, which last about 1 hour. In front of CS you will have various options. Check the departures, sometimes they wait a while for the ship to get full.

This is the best way to see the city in short time. The Hoho ships again take up too much of tour time.

3rd option is to book a tour which leaves from the airport and includes all.It is not the cheapest way, but the most convenient.

More details on this link:

http://www.greatamsterdamexcursions.com/excursions/

I

Take either a cab from Centraal Station, or tramnr. 14 and get off at Westerkerk.

This tram 14 does not go from the central station. You need tram 13 or 17 to the Westerkerk.

I agree with the others that you should leave the Anne Frank house for another time, and rather get a taste of the city. Take the canal trip, that is a good place to start, or the organised excursion from the airport.

Wow...excellent information! Thank you all so much. I think we may end up doing the set excursion from the airport that includes the canal tour and a guided city tour along with a few stops at some cheese thing and a windmill. We don't normally do tours and prefer independent travel; however, with a tight window and a desire to see as much as possible, this seems to be the easiest way to do so. I know we will pay a premium, but it should save us some of our limited time waiting for public transport.

Thanks again for all of the info...much appreciated.

Archived