Any Good Book Recommendation about POMPEII?

alwayslost

Just in case I end up with a not so good guide in Pompeii, can somebody recommend a good book about Pompeii. A book that is an interesting read for somebody who just wants to know more about Pompeii. History, culture, the volcano, etc.

Mary Beard's "Pompeii" is pretty recent. (I think it has a different title in the USA.) It looks a bit like a textbook, but is actually very readable.

From a totally different angle, how about Robert Harris' "Pompeii", which is actually a thriller set during the eruption. It's very enjoyable.

olippold, I think, is referring to Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town. This is out of print (in the U.S. at least).

In print -- and in paperback -- is her The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found.

Mary Beard is not my favorite Roman historian, but that is just a matter of style and I am in a clear minority. She does an excellent job of presenting daily life in the Roman world.

If you are looking for a guide book, I'd suggest Pompeii by Salvatore Ciro Nappo (It's part of the White Star Guides series).

I just read the Robert Harris "Pompeii" on our way back from our TA cruise, ending in Rome. We didn't go to Naples/Pompeii, though.:(

It was pretty good; kind of a thriller told from the viewpoint of a man who was in charge of the aquaduct that brings water to the area and how warnings of a coming eruption began with interruptions to the water supply and descriptions of how people ignored or coped with the disaster. I don't know how historically accurate it was, but it was a good read.

Just in case I end up with a not so good guide in Pompeii, can somebody recommend a good book about Pompeii. A book that is an interesting read for somebody who just wants to know more about Pompeii. History, culture, the volcano, etc.

Not a book but did you see the PBS special on Pompeii last night?

olippold, I think, is referring to Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town. This is out of print (in the U.S. at least).

In print -- and in paperback -- is her The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found..

I think they're both the same book i.e. The Fire of Vesuvius is the US version. At least that's what the complaining review on amazon.co.uk says!

In print -- and in paperback -- is her The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found.

Mary Beard is not my favorite Roman historian, but that is just a matter of style and I am in a clear minority. She does an excellent job of presenting daily life in the Roman world.

If you are looking for a guide book, I'd suggest Pompeii by Salvatore Ciro Nappo (It's part of the White Star Guides series).

I have this book and enjoyed it. It was different than I expected in that I thought it would be more of a narrative on the day Pompeii blew but it is a VERY detailed book on what life was like in Pompeii before the volcano.

Kirk

For fiction, Robert Harris is always a good read. His "Pompeii" is very good, and even better are his Cicero novels, "Imperium" and "Conspirata".

Also, check out Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa mystery series. The third volume, "Arms of Nemesis", is set in the Bay of Naples. The other books in the series are set in Rome, and are also good reads.

For nonfiction, Nappo's "Pompeii Blue Guide" is very good.

Also, don't forget to ask at the information desk (left of the Pompeii ticket desk) for your free, and very informative, Pompeii map and booklet.

I love the White Star guides and also would recommend the Pompeii one.

I just got the one for the Holy Land (upcoming trip). It's not as good as the Rome one but still good in terms of historic sites.

Archived