Just a thought.....

lindalans

I did it once, but not by choice:eek:......starting to feel ill as we drove down, talked to ship's nurse at checkin and was cleared to sail....made it to first M&G.......was sick for the entire 10 day cruise! I spent a few hours in the medical centre....IV, etc.......thought their staff was great. The nurse even came to my stateroom the next day to check on me.

Those guys can REALLY whip those wheelchairs around!

I wouldn't mind trying just that, thanks for the idea! My husband loves hot weather and beaches, while I prefer to stay out of the sun. So if we went on a Caribbean cruise, I'd stay on board, and he could go out in the sun.

Not my idea of a cruise. We do enjoy the sea and the ship, but the ports are the main reason we cruise. There have been a few ports where we've stayed on the ship, but it wasn't so we could enjoy the ship. We've skipped two ports because it was questionable weather in a port & we'd been to the port before & at the time were ok skipping it. We also skipped 2 or 3 ports when we were on conference cruises - we weren't interested in those ports and we needed some down time from the conference. Afterwards, I've usually wished we'd not skipped the port.

I stayed aboard during one stop in the Caribbean, as I'd been there before and didn't feel like going ashore. :rolleyes:

The ship was very quiet and calm while most were off in port. I read, had a nice cup of coffee, a leisurely lunch, read some more. What a relaxing day!

I would not do it in a new part of the world for me, unless I was sick, but it was a good choice at the time.

Once, on a Mexican Riviera cruise. We were in San Diego for a few weeks, then took a 10 day cruise, but we had been in all the ports so many times that we just stayed on board and relaxed. It was great, peaceful and quiet. However that was the exception to the rule, I think most of us cruise so that we can enjoy the different ports and cultures.:)

Does anyone just cruise to cruise e.g. never getting off in any of the ports?

We stay on in Mexico....our last cruise on the Sapphire we never got off. We took the trip for the ship only.....we are not interested in Mexico.

I live 500yds from the beach anyway so I don't cruise in order to go and sit on another one! But I can understand why it would be so appealing to people who live a long way from the coast. I will usually take a stroll around the port and try to find a local souvenir but it's very hard somtimes to find anything other than overpriced jewellery and tourist tat. I am very selective with excursions too these days because I have discovered that they don't always live up to their advertising. I'm often much happier staying on board with a good book, a cold G&T and some peace and quiet.

Yes, we have several ports (and sometimes, entire cruises) where we don't get off the ship - usually HMC, a few Caribbean ports and most Mexico ports. The ship is usually quite empty and quiet.

We live in the Pacific Northwest. It rains here during the winter...a lot. After some of DH's chemotherapy sessions we've booked cruises to familiar Caribbean and Mexican ports just to be able to see the sun. It has worked out well. We're able to be outside, there are limited decisions to be made, we have lots of food options, and we can enjoy entertainment either together or alone without concerns. By being in ports we've already visited, for us there isn't any internal pressure to explore so we can adjust to how much energy he has on any particular day. It also feels very private when everybody else seems to be in port, so those days can be very special.

In Jamaica we got off, started to walk around and got hassled by so many taxi drivers that we just went back to the ship.

In Cozumel - where we had been many times before - we just went to the terminal for an hour and back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman, which we like, it was raining like mad and foggy so back to the ship again.

We've never stayed aboard ship for an entire cruise but we've stayed aboard sometimes at ports we've been to before, especially if it is a tendered port.

We enjoy the quiet of the ship and being able to use the gym equipment or get a chaise at the pool. Or sometimes we sit up in the Crow's Nest with a drink, enjoying the view and chatting with other passengers there.

On our Caribbean cruise in October we'll probably stay aboard for some of the ports since we've been on several Caribbean cruises and enjoy the pool more than the sandy beaches.

Nope, not us. We cruise to see new places and experience the ports. Looking at the ship as a floating hotel and transportation.

We don't lay by the pool, go to the spa, play trivia, etc. The ports are what is of interest to us.

I've been to the Caribbean twice, and wouldn't go back. Nothing of interest there for me, so I find other places to cruise. New England/Canada, Med, Baltics, etc.

I've never stayed onboard for an ENTIRE cruise, but we have stayed onboard during certain ports that we'd been to before...the ship is almost yours alone on port days, and it's a great time to use that which you've paid for!

I got back from a Carribean cruise on the Noordam just a few weeks ago, and I did not get off the boat at all. It was my third Carribean cruise in three years and didn't care for the shore excursions and had no intention of shopping. I was on the ship with family and they got off in every port. I stayed behind and read (4 books in one week!), slept in in the morning, lounged in whatever part of the ship I wanted...I work alot of hours at home, so this week of doing nothing was exactly what I wanted. My family thought I must be so bored and lonely (which I wasn't) but at least I wasn't caught out in the rain every day like they were! :)

Amy

What is boring to one might be relaxing, beautiful and wonderful to another. Have been to almost every Carribbean port and sometimes to just stay on the ship and relax is more enjoyable than getting off the ship. The ship is quite and the pool is mine, usually, along with good food and peace of mind. Life is short and sometimes it is fun to just relax and smell the roses! Have fun on your next cruise as I know I will. And do what you enjoy; that is what cruising is all about.

No, never. I would go stir crazy. Why bother with a cruise - just book into a 5 star hotel with a sea view. I would also never repeat a cruise I'd already done - how boring!

What is boring to one might be relaxing, beautiful and wonderful to another. Have been to almost every Carribbean port and sometimes to just stay on the ship and relax is more enjoyable than getting off the ship. The ship is quite and the pool is mine, usually, along with good food and peace of mind. Life is short and sometimes it is fun to just relax and smell the roses! Have fun on your next cruise as I know I will. And do what you enjoy; that is what cruising is all about.

Like I said, nothing you can't do in a 5 star hotel, then?:D

Shortly after I retired [ DH was NOT retired yet] I went on a Mediterranean Cruise with a local group from my town. One day in Italy, my dear friend went on a long [ 8 hour] tour and I [25 years younger than her] decided the rainy day just wasn't MY thing and the movie that day was one I especially wanted to see -so I stayed onboard. We weren't "joined at the hip" and BOTH enjoyed "our" day to PERFECTION. HER day was the kind of long tour that would have driven me nuts; PLUS rain.....MY kind of day would have driven HER nuts and yet I found to totally delightful. ;)

Archived