Just a thought.....

lindalans

On our only HAL cruise, they announced eroneous information about transportation ashore which caused me to miss 2 ports!:eek::eek: One I had seen before and had researched to find a place I wanted to go, the other I had never seen and would have gone if given the truth. When I discovered I couldn't believe what HAL was saying, it was too late.:mad:

Had a friend who went on the same 7day cruise every 2 weeks and never got off! He had B & L in his cabin but knew all the chorus girls by their first names! Still alive at 80+.:D

I always get off in the ports.....I love sea days....but I love to see different places also.

A few years ago I sailed an 18 day Panama Canal crossing......my roommate "cruises for cruising sake".......she might have walked off the ship once or twice and stayed close. Other than that she just enjoyed the ship. We saw each other for dinner and the evening...that is all. It worked out great!

DH doesn't get off the ship in any ports. He is in a wheelchair and finds accessibility difficult enough in the States ... doesn't want to deal with issues in the islands. He is perfectly happy staying aboard and enjoying the quiet.

We have friends who cruise only to relax and enjoy the ship. They have traveled the world and have been to all the ports. To them, the ship is the destination.

I've been tempted to stay aboard when we've been in Grand Turk. Last time I got off only briefly.

On our recent Rotterdam cruise(s) my husband did not get off the ship from Dec 16 thru Jan 10. Of course part of that time was spent traversing the Panama Canal and there were a lot of sea days between San Diego and Hawaii but my husband is not fond of beaches, really hot weather and wild cab rides in strange places. He much prefers to amuse himself on board the ship and relax as he sees fit. I do my own thing, sometimes taking HAL shore excursions or wandering the port. The first 19 days of the Rotterdam trip was a holiday cruise with our two daughters so the three of us went sightseeing. But my youngest daughter also sometimes stays on board in port.

After they went home in San Diego I did my own thing in a lot of ports. I am fairly brave exploring on my own but I'm not foolhardy either.

St. Louis Sal

We generally only do this when we cruise to Mexico -- been there many times. If we get off, we simply check out the booths at the port selling items.

We have been to the Mediterranean many times, generally on the last day, if we are in a port we been to many times, we stay on board and pack. We always have lots of clothes and luggage to deal with, so packing is a big deal, especially now that airlines have tighter limits on weights and we need to balance it out more.

Other wise, we get off and enjoy the ports as well as the ship.

No, never. I would go stir crazy. Why bother with a cruise - just book into a 5 star hotel with a sea view. I would also never repeat a cruise I'd already done - how boring!

Along this line of thinking though why cruise? Why not just travel by air? The sea view isn't the only thing I enjoy about cruising. I like being out on the water, the movement of the ship and yes, the ports. Occasionally I don't get off the ship while in port. I have been to the Bahamas many times so I often stay on the ship.

Does anyone just cruise to cruise e.g. never getting off in any of the ports?

We love to stay on the ship .....especially if it is a port we have been to,or it is raining.

It is fun to go to the library,watch a movie or read a book. The ship is quiet and very relaxing. I think a cruise is do what YOU want to do and dont feel guilty about enjoying it!!

Along this line of thinking though why cruise? Why not just travel by air? The sea view isn't the only thing I enjoy about cruising. I like being out on the water, the movement of the ship and yes, the ports. Occasionally I don't get off the ship while in port. I have been to the Bahamas many times so I often stay on the ship.

Saves on all the packing and unpacking, time at the airport checking-in, taxis, etc. All important in order to cover a lot of ground in not much time.

I do air/land holidays too, generally no more than 2/3 centre stays.

Just curious, why the Bahamas so often? Lots of other places to visit.:cool:

If my husband could have driven to Hawaii he would! That is why we chose to cruise there. However, he has decided he wants to spend more time in Hawaii so I think he will bite the bullet and fly so we can spend more time on the different islands.

It's amazing I actually get him to fly to the ports. If a cruise ship would tie up in St. Louis we would so be on it. Sometimes we drive to a port (New Orleans, Galveston) but the rest of the time we fly but he doesn't like it. For me I will fly anywhere, anytime, any kind of plane. I am the only person in my entire family that actually loves flying.

St. Louis Sal

Just curious, why the Bahamas so often? Lots of other places to visit.:cool:

Sometimes that's just the way it works out. My schedule / budget / and what is available. The main reason I cruise is to be out on the water.

Yes. :)

If we've been to a port before, sometimes we skip it. (But never Victoria. One must have tea!)

Sometimes we book cruises with no ports or only 1 port.

For me, the cruise experience is vastly different from a landside hotel or all-inclusive resort. Port intensive cruises can be fun, but they can also wear one out - not my ideal result after a vacation. For me, I want at least one sea day for every port day, preferably 2.

The ship is the destination for us, although we always get off in every port just 'because.' But I don't get cabin fever being on board for long periods of time. My SIL did when we were in Antarctica but we could have sailed there forever.

However, we don't use the pool and we don't go to the spa. We read, talk to people, enjoy the view...our favorite place is the Crow's Nest.

Tina

Yes. :)

...... For me, I want at least one sea day for every port day, preferably 2.

Our ideal would be the opposite, a minimum of 2-3 port days for every one sea day. We sail for the itinerary, and try to see something different each cruise. Although we do love being on the ship, we love seeing new things more. Cruising is the ideal way to accomplish this, as we all know. :D

Archived