xray at Port of Miami?

catne

Do people walk through a scanner when entering the secure area for embarkation at the Port of Miami (like you do at airports? And is it restricted to just ticketed passengers or can people see you off?) And do the carry-on bags go through an xray machine like at the airport? Do purses/computer bags go through too?

Just don't want to be a total dork :rolleyes: & not know what to expect, lol :D

All cruise ports have secruity like the airport. It may not have as many restrictions, but you do have to put your bags through a scanner and go throuth the machine. I don't know, but I imagine that you would need to be on the cruise to get through security.

Yes, very similar to an airport although you can leave your shoes on and don't have all the liquids restrictions. All purses, bags, jackets, carryon suitcases, contents of pockets, etc. go through an x-ray machine and you walk through a metal detector.

Guests aren't allowed in the terminal - only ticketed passengers. They will want to see your completed Funpass or cruise docs and your ID before you enter the terminal building.

so if you walk through a metal detector do you have to take off watch, belts, jewelry and put it in a tray like you do at the airport?

Sorry for the extra questions...as you may guess I've never done this before:p

so if you walk through a metal detector do you have to take off watch, belts, jewelry and put it in a tray like you do at the airport?

Sorry for the extra questions...as you may guess I've never done this before:p

You don't HAVE to take them off, but if they happen to set off the alarm, then you might need to do so the second time around. I've found that I can just take the metal objects out of my pockets, and I get through just fine, even wearing a belt and wedding band.

You don't HAVE to take them off, but if they happen to set off the alarm, then you might need to do so the second time around. I've found that I can just take the metal objects out of my pockets, and I get through just fine, even wearing a belt and wedding band.

I've never had any problem going through with normal jewelry - wedding rings, watch, etc.. Take any change out of your pockets and your cell phone as well if it's in there. Sometimes belt buckles are enough to set off the machine - my dh usually has to take off his belt or he sets it off. Probably depends on the size of the buckle.

Does it really matter how much security you have to go through at the terminals? It might be annoying, but I would rather feel secure than sorry. Whatever they do regarding scanning shouldnt make a bit of difference to anyone.

Does it really matter how much security you have to go through at the terminals? It might be annoying, but I would rather feel secure than sorry. Whatever they do regarding scanning shouldnt make a bit of difference to anyone.

Don't know where this is coming from at all, at all. I believe you are reading a lot into an innocent query. My questions were regarding the actual procedures so I will know what to expect and whether or not I should wear my watch/belt, etc or go with my usual airport attire of slip on shoes/elastic waste slacks and minimal metal. Having never been on a cruise, nor at a port, I had no idea what to expect..

Re-reading my own posts, I really cannot see that I made a single comment or inference about any of it being annoying at all...

Do people walk through a scanner when entering the secure area for embarkation at the Port of Miami (like you do at airports? And is it restricted to just ticketed passengers or can people see you off?) And do the carry-on bags go through an xray machine like at the airport? Do purses/computer bags go through too?

Just don't want to be a total dork :rolleyes: & not know what to expect, lol :D

You go through the same security as at an airport, but I don't remember having to take off my shoes. You put you personal property (belts, purses carry) like you do at the airport on the belt to be scanned then you walk through the scanner and pick up your things.

Not sure about people seeing you off, I am always so harried since I carry my luggage on just making sure I don't lose anything.

Have a great cruise.

Yes, very similar to an airport although you can leave your shoes on and don't have all the liquids restrictions. All purses, bags, jackets, carryon suitcases, contents of pockets, etc. go through an x-ray machine and you walk through a metal detector.

Guests aren't allowed in the terminal - only ticketed passengers or wedding guests. They will want to see your completed Funpass or cruise docs and your ID before you enter the terminal building.

Fixed it for ya.

Fixed it for ya.

Also people doing ship tours with major TA's....I've done nine. Proper ID and (which you leave in the terminal) security screening are involved....

Also people doing ship tours with major TA's....I've done nine. Proper ID and (which you leave in the terminal) security screening are involved....

Perhaps I should have said "Wedding guests, and official Carnival guests but not some Joe Schmo who wants to see his family off.*

*This list subject to change at the whim of Carnival at anytime".

Perhaps I should have said "Wedding guests, and official Carnival guests but not some Joe Schmo who wants to see his family off.*

*This list subject to change at the whim of Carnival at anytime".

Carnival change things....Never.....What's up Duck???

OP doesn't care about airport security so quit trying to make the thread into your airport soapbox. Focus and stay on topic please.

Dh always removes his belt etc. I dont' know if it's required but it's easier to just get through it the first time instead of taking a chance on repeating it if you set it off and causing a delay.

Luckily they aren't as sensitive as the ones at our court house. Last time we went they went off due to the metal buttons on my jeans. Thought I was gonna have strip to get through that one LOL Usually they aren't that sensitive, someone set that way too high.

I have a hip replacement and I used to get hand wanded and patted down at the airport. With the body scanner at the Miami airport it is a simple, quick procedure. (and for me, less embarassing.) The port of Miami just uses a metal detector and I usually have to get hand wanded and frisked before entering the VIP lounge.

Ah, that answers a question I had about an announcement they made right before we sailed saying that anyone on a tour had to leave the ship.

Ah, that answers a question I had about an announcement they made right before we sailed saying that anyone on a tour had to leave the ship.

I have seen some travel agent groups do ship tours prior to sailing so that may also be what they are announcing for. There may also be some non-sailing employees onboard or contractors that do stuff we don't think about that would have to leave prior to sailing.

Archived