When to do Chops and Portofino on Mariner?!

Before we get suggestions, a few things:

a) We eat late®, we enjoy the pool

b) We do get off at port

c) We enjoy the Fiesta Night

d) We have kids (they won't be going!)

Besides that, we're open to suggestions on what night(s) to go! We want to enjoy both restaurants.

We always decide about the specialty restaurants AFTER we meet our tablemates! We've had some really fun tablemates that we enjoy so much, we won't miss an evening with them!

When we do do the specialties, we do it on a sea day...port days are so tiring, that I can't fully enjoy the dining experience if I'm falling asleep! When you pay the extra, you should enjoy it to the max!

I believe on the Mariner there is no Chops.........just Portofino. We enjoy sea days to have our reservation or ports where we choose not to get off the ship.

I believe on the Mariner there is no Chops.........just Portofino. We enjoy sea days to have our reservation or ports where we choose not to get off the ship.

There is a Chops.. but sea days is a great idea...

There is a Chops.. but sea days is a great idea...

Maybe they added one........I haven't been on the ship for several years, but even the RC website lists only Portofino for the Mariner..........heck I hope I'm wrong........I LOVE CHOPS:) (but I sure don't remember one)

Dido on there being both a chops and portifino on the mariner. When we went in january we asked the host at chops and he recommended wednesday night as that was the caribbean night at the dining room and as he put it "the least enjoyable." It worked out well for us.

Dido on there being both a chops and portifino on the mariner. When we went in january we asked the host at chops and he recommended wednesday night as that was the caribbean night at the dining room and as he put it "the least enjoyable." It worked out well for us.

Glad to hear that and I stand corrected and apologize for any misinformation..........now I have to go find where it is LOL!:D

Before we get suggestions, a few things:

a) We eat late®, we enjoy the pool

b) We do get off at port

c) We enjoy the Fiesta Night

d) We have kids (they won't be going!)

Besides that, we're open to suggestions on what night(s) to go! We want to enjoy both restaurants.

My 2 cents -- just was on Mariner a couple of weeks ago. We ate at Chops on Wednesday (Mazatlan day) because it was my birthday and at Portofino on the last night (second sea day) to kind of have a special finale to the cruise. We ate at 8:30 both times. Since we ate at 8:30 I think it was fine to eat on a "port" day -- you are usually back onboard by 5 or 6 anyway. All in all I think it doesn't matter that much -- we enjoyed both restaurants! Food and service at each was great. Some people like to eat at them instead of on formal nights because each is "smart casual" every night. IMO I liked Chops a bit better but others will say just the opposite. Others will say why pay more to eat in the specialty restaurants. Still others I know have eaten exclusively at them every night! I understand all points of view -- I enjoyed both restaurants and I think I would have on any night of the cruise. one word of advice -- I reserved our meals at each restaurant online before the cruise and therefore pre-paid for them, but I got the impression at both restaurants that we could have reserved them once on the ship, as neither was full (at 8:30). So you might want to wait until you're onboard to decide. Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived