When should I book to get the best price?

bakery

We're looking at a cruise for 2011, and I'd like your ideas on when we should book to get the best rate. My travel agent says now -- but of course she would, as she wants to guarantee getting our business! What do the rest of you think? Will we likely get the best rates if we book as far in advance as possible?

We booked a cruise in April for Jan.2011, and the price of our cabin has already gone up about $70 per person. I don't know if it will go back down but IF you know when you want to go and the price looks OK to you I'd book now.

Also some cruise lines will let you get lower price, an upgrade, or on board credit if price the drops before your final payment.

Check and see if your TA will charge you extra if you make changes to your res.

Booking a cruise is like buying an airline ticket - the price can go up, down, or stay the same. When I find a cruise I'm interested in, at a price I'm comfortable with, I book. Most of the time I've gotten some great deals by booking early.

Roz

Hi...if it means anything to you, I've found that by booking early you can reserve the best cabin locations...just booked a Celebrity cruise for August 2011 & selected a great cabin on the 'bump-out'.

Since full payment isn't due until a few months before sailing, on my last cruise I looked for price reductions along the way and was able to save about $600. from the original price---plus rec'd an extra $100. OBC.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. Yes, cabin selection is important so it definitely sounds like we're best off booking early. But since I've only cruised once before, I'm not sure how I can check to see if the price goes down. The price I get from the TA might not be the same as the online price -- right? How else would I know?

Thanks to all of you for the advice. Yes, cabin selection is important so it definitely sounds like we're best off booking early. But since I've only cruised once before, I'm not sure how I can check to see if the price goes down. The price I get from the TA might not be the same as the online price -- right? How else would I know?

Just do a "fake booking" on the cruiseline website you are booked with and make sure to check the boxes for possible lower fares you are eligible for i.e. military, state residency, sr. fares, past guest fares, etc.... if you see a lower fare than you are paying, contact your TA for the reduction. Just make sure you are aware of their policies regarding changes, cancellations and if they are willing to reduce your fare as some TA's do not do this without charging a fee or reducing any perks they may have included in your package ! ;)

Do a search online and compare carefully after taxes and all fees. The TA may or maynot have the best price even after including OBC. IMHO worth spending a few hours calling around.

Read carefully about refund / cancellations, prior to payment you are always free to of course cancel, change if better price appears.

I always book once I know what I want. Prices can go down, before final payment you can usually get either upgrade or cancel/rebook at new price. But if prices go up or the economy / demand is good you could pay more and not get the cabin you want.

I wish I was so lucky to even think about 2011 already.

Happy planning!

We're looking at a cruise for 2011, and I'd like your ideas on when we should book to get the best rate. My travel agent says now -- but of course she would, as she wants to guarantee getting our business! What do the rest of you think? Will we likely get the best rates if we book as far in advance as possible?

You have a travel agent you trust? I suggest that since you are not as travel savvy yet then use your TA rather than lose money using a large online TA if you don't know the policies. Look for price drops yourself and when you find one call your TA and get the price adjusted. Then read and learn.

Archived