All Things Splendor

MistyRo76

My Boyfriend and I will also be on the Splendor 10/10 for my birthday. This is only our 2nd cruise but we went once and were hooked.

Pop on over to the Roll Call board and join the roll call for this sailing. :D

HAHA... I just remembered that I actually had a LIVE daily from the Splendor, just in case you are interested. This is a unique daily report because this was the cruise that the Splendor had an accident in PV and we ended up having a second port day in PV and Matzalan was cancelled.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1103629

I was wondering how much the internet packages are on the Splendor. Do you remember? Also, do they have wireless in the cabins? Thanks!

I was wondering how much the internet packages are on the Splendor. Do you remember? Also, do they have wireless in the cabins? Thanks!

I bought the 100 minutes package for $55 + 3.95 setup fee and it was enough because all the port have internet cafes, so I only used those minutes on sea days. The link to Carnival's internet package is here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

And yes, on the Splendor, you have wireless in your cabin.

I bought the 100 minutes package for $55 + 3.95 setup fee and it was enough because all the port have internet cafes, so I only used those minutes on sea days. The link to Carnival's internet package is here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/On_Board_Internet_Cafes.aspx

And yes, on the Splendor, you have wireless in your cabin.

Wow that was fast! Do you think a Netbook would fit in the safe? Thank you!!

Probably not, as the safe is rather small. But I don't think theft will be an issue as the only person who has access to your cabin is the room steward. You can lock it in your luggage if you want to be safe.

Probably not, as the safe is rather small. But I don't think theft will be an issue as the only person who has access to your cabin is the room steward. You can lock it in your luggage if you want to be safe.

I've never brought a computer with me on a cruise and I've really never even thought about it. That is until I read your LIVE thread (loved it). Now I think I might want to give that a try. Is there a way to type what you want first and then sign on to the internet and post it?

We usually get the 250 minutes on the internet package and it used to be $100, but 3 weeks ago on the Dream the 250 package was $89.00 (not sure if that is a trend)

We have hughes.net for home internet (the scourge of internet service) and the ship was 20 times faster (and cheaper) than we can get from hughes.net at home. They ran free internet specials at various times to get free minutes added to your plan, and they are good at crediting your minutes if something is really poor with the connection.

You computer probably will not fit in the safe but we have brought our laptop on every cruise and had it in the cabin and not once have we had a problem. For that matter we have never had anything taken from us from our stateroom on a cruise, and I do have to admit we got careless and left the safe open or money around and nothing was touched. You laptop would be safe even if you left it out.

We usually get the 250 minutes on the internet package and it used to be $100, but 3 weeks ago on the Dream the 250 package was $89.00 (not sure if that is a trend)

We have hughes.net for home internet (the scourge of internet service) and the ship was 20 times faster (and cheaper) than we can get from hughes.net at home. They ran free internet specials at various times to get free minutes added to your plan, and they are good at crediting your minutes if something is really poor with the connection.

You computer probably will not fit in the safe but we have brought our laptop on every cruise and had it in the cabin and not once have we had a problem. For that matter we have never had anything taken from us from our stateroom on a cruise, and I do have to admit we got careless and left the safe open or money around and nothing was touched. You laptop would be safe even if you left it out.

Thank you...I think I will bring my computer on my Splendor cruise. I usually go on the shorter cruises. Since this is a 7 day cruise having my computer would help me to keep in touch with my DD.

Thank you...I think I will bring my computer on my Splendor cruise. I usually go on the shorter cruises. Since this is a 7 day cruise having my computer would help me to keep in touch with my DD.

Just make sure you log out with your http://1.1.1.1 logout while on the ship's internet. They are better about posting this but that is the only way to disconnect from their internet. We disable pop ups so the pop up window with the logout never shows up. You have to use that to log out or you will turn you computer off and your minutes will completely rundown.

I've never brought a computer with me on a cruise and I've really never even thought about it. That is until I read your LIVE thread (loved it). Now I think I might want to give that a try. Is there a way to type what you want first and then sign on to the internet and post it?

Yes, always type OFFLINE. Type your post in a Word document first. When you are ready to post, then log on to the Internet and the CC board. Then copy and paste your post to the board. This will save you LOTS of minutes and $$$.

When there are a lot of questions or comments, drag your mouse and right click on the posts on the board, then copy all the posts and paste it to a Word document. Log OFF the Internet, then read all the posts at your leisure. Again, this will save you some minutes and $$$.

On Port days, use the Internet cafes nearby.

Edited by mathgeek1978

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions but here goes. We are sailing on the Splendor on 8/22/10 and I was wondering if anyone that has recently gone or is about to go on this cruise has copies of the Daily Activites Newsletter(not sure of the correct name) and the MDR menus.

Just curious to see what we might have to do, it is my understanding that the activities and menus are changed every 60 to 90 days.

Would appreciate any information someone has.

Thanks

Lori

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions but here goes. We are sailing on the Splendor on 8/22/10 and I was wondering if anyone that has recently gone or is about to go on this cruise has copies of the Daily Activites Newsletter(not sure of the correct name) and the MDR menus.

Just curious to see what we might have to do, it is my understanding that the activities and menus are changed every 60 to 90 days.

Would appreciate any information someone has.

Thanks

Lori

Post #12 of this thread has the menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188297

We were on the Dream where they had anytime dining. We like our early dining at our same table and will continue to request early seating. The people who did try any time dining on the Dream, all were happy with it as far as we heard. There was not one negative that we heard and many people were singing the praises of anytime dining. Definitely a plus with people who do not want to be held to a dining schedule on vacation but still want the meals in the main dining room. The Dream had more passengers than the Splendor so by the lack of complaints, I would assume that the anytime dining can handle the amount of passengers who have chosen it as an option. I have read on the boards somewhere that on some sailings there is a "waiting list" for anytime dining as many people are choosing that option now - not sure of the accuracy of that statement.

I think Your Time Dining has started on the Splendor. Has anyone here tried it yet?

Just got off the May 30th-Jun 6th sailing, and it was the first sailing that the Splendor had your time dining. We loved it! We were able to request the same waiter ( Lindo, who was just amazing, really went out of his way) every night.

I enjoy the your time dining because it gives you the chance to be flexible.

I hope you had a great cruise!!!

Yes we did, thank you.

This was my 7th cruise ( 4th on Carnival) and this cruise was probably the best one yet! Everything we planned went smooth. The ship is beautiful, clean and the staff was very nice. I couldnt find one complaint. Loved the ports, zip lining in PV was a great experience, Stone Island in Mazatlan was probably are favorite day. Hung out at Lety's were they let us use there bogey boards, rented ATV's for an hour and ate the best coconut shrimp I have ever had in my life! It was so good that I am thinking of booking the Splendor again just to go back for that shrimp, and thats no lie.

Yes we did, thank you.

This was my 7th cruise ( 4th on Carnival) and this cruise was probably the best one yet! Everything we planned went smooth. The ship is beautiful, clean and the staff was very nice. I couldnt find one complaint. Loved the ports, zip lining in PV was a great experience, Stone Island in Mazatlan was probably are favorite day. Hung out at Lety's were they let us use there bogey boards, rented ATV's for an hour and ate the best coconut shrimp I have ever had in my life! It was so good that I am thinking of booking the Splendor again just to go back for that shrimp, and thats no lie.

I'm glad everything went as planned. I hope you have time to post some pics and tips here on our Splendor thread. Please let me know if you write a review.

Yes we did, thank you.

THRILLED to find this post! I 'searched' STONE ISLAND....read about that on another Splendor post...we're sailing Aug 1st...would love to hear about your cruise experience...here's a couple questions:

1) Is Stone Island where u rented the ATVs...and where 'Lety's' is? Is that all the same destination on Stone Island? (as u can see...I don't know a thing abt Stone Island yet!) ...and the shrimp comment has me 'sold'! We're an 'ATV family' (love Pismo Beach!)...so that sounds interesting too!

2) Zip lining....would someone who has had a total knee replacement (me) be 'approved' to do zip lining? As long as I don't have a 'hard landing'...I would be ok doing it!!! That's why I don't want to do parasailing...a little afraid of 'landing' on that 'new' knee! (8months post-op)

3) Did you go to any 'resort' for the day? Or hear of any good options for that?

4) ANY Splendor info will be wonderful!

I would love a list of 'don't miss this on the Splendor' from you!!! I'm keeping a 'copy&paste' folder of info that I will print and save...to help with making choices for our cruise activities. It's always helpful to review others' experiences/opinions....then I feel like I'm making a more informed decision. Nothing better than 'been there, done that' kind of info shared by others!

And...I like your positive attitude!:) I believe that when we treat people nicely...you get that in return. Have always had 'good experiences' on our Carnival cruises....and the 'not so good things'...have become 'faded memories!'...far outweighed by the GOOD! :p

Thanks in advance for sharing:)

THRILLED to find this post! I 'searched' STONE ISLAND....read about that on another Splendor post...we're sailing Aug 1st...would love to hear about your cruise experience...here's a couple questions:

1) Is Stone Island where u rented the ATVs...and where 'Lety's' is? Is that all the same destination on Stone Island? (as u can see...I don't know a thing abt Stone Island yet!) ...and the shrimp comment has me 'sold'! We're an 'ATV family' (love Pismo Beach!)...so that sounds interesting too!

2) Zip lining....would someone who has had a total knee replacement (me) be 'approved' to do zip lining? As long as I don't have a 'hard landing'...I would be ok doing it!!! That's why I don't want to do parasailing...a little afraid of 'landing' on that 'new' knee! (8months post-op)

3) Did you go to any 'resort' for the day? Or hear of any good options for that?

4) ANY Splendor info will be wonderful!

I would love a list of 'don't miss this on the Splendor' from you!!! I'm keeping a 'copy&paste' folder of info that I will print and save...to help with making choices for our cruise activities. It's always helpful to review others' experiences/opinions....then I feel like I'm making a more informed decision. Nothing better than 'been there, done that' kind of info shared by others!

And...I like your positive attitude!:) I believe that when we treat people nicely...you get that in return. Have always had 'good experiences' on our Carnival cruises....and the 'not so good things'...have become 'faded memories!'...far outweighed by the GOOD! :p

Thanks in advance for sharing:)

Karen,

Would love to share anything I can with you. To your first question, I found most my information thru searching CC like yourself. When you get out of the cruise terminal, take a left down the street for about a half a mile, at the end of the road you will see a sign for the water taxi, its $2 pp for a round trip. Once they drop you off just walk over the hill and you will see the beach ahead of you. Keep walking down the beach until you see Lety's, it's right before Victor's. Once there grab a table and a couple deck chairs and enjoy. Just ask your server if you want to use there bogey boards. The ATV's will be all over the beach. Just ask one of the guys that owns them to bring how ever many you need. We needed 5. They were $35 for the hour. Once you cruise down the beach you will see some trails that head off into the coconut plantation. The beach goes for miles. Great riding for sure.

Zip lining in PV. There is quite a bit of walking on the first 7 zip lines. We all had to catch are breath before zipping along. If you do what the guides tell you, you wont be doing any landing and wont have to worry about your knee. Your in a cradle postion and they dont want you to put out your feet or legs at the end to prevent injury, so no hard landing.

Didnt go to any resorts. I did see some info on the Mexican riviera board on some.

As for the Splendor, we just made the most of what we could. The first sea day was a little chilli, but warmed up later in the day and on tuesday. On those days we loved laying out at the rear lido pool area which is 18 and older only. At night we loved the R rated comedian, the adult quest game show, Vroom, and the hypnosis who had two shows, one on thursday night for everyone, and a R rated midnight show on Friday. We also did the steak house which was very good. If you have any more questions, I would be more then happy to answer for you.:) Mike.

A PERFECT 'copy&paste' post! Thanks so much for the info! And re: zip lining....that 'long walk' before is good to know...and would most likely eliminate that from my 'to do' list! Although, healthier than ever, have some restrictions due to leg....I've just learned to 'live WITH it'....and know that 'what & what not' to do! There's plenty I can do....thanks again for the info...esp. about evening shows...those sound good too! And...hadn't even thought about Steakhouse....which night did you go? (since our itinerary is the same)

Also...(I keep thinking of other ?'s =) Did you ever watch the 'outdoor movies'? And....did they have the 'reggae-style' music in Lido deck for sail away? I always enjoy having a DOD and listening to the music....I get 'so in the mood' before the ship even sails!!! Some of our funniest stories are from the first few hours on the ship!

A PERFECT 'copy&paste' post! Thanks so much for the info! And re: zip lining....that 'long walk' before is good to know...and would most likely eliminate that from my 'to do' list! Although, healthier than ever, have some restrictions due to leg....I've just learned to 'live WITH it'....and know that 'what & what not' to do! There's plenty I can do....thanks again for the info...esp. about evening shows...those sound good too! And...hadn't even thought about Steakhouse....which night did you go? (since our itinerary is the same)

Also...(I keep thinking of other ?'s =) Did you ever watch the 'outdoor movies'? And....did they have the 'reggae-style' music in Lido deck for sail away? I always enjoy having a DOD and listening to the music....I get 'so in the mood' before the ship even sails!!! Some of our funniest stories are from the first few hours on the ship!

I found a web site that showed the menus for each night. I choose Tue. night to do the steak house as it was in my opinion a not so good night in the MDR. We did watch a movie on the last night, it was Avatar which we love. Only thing I didnt like about the movie on deck was the little noises going on around, like teens being teens, but still enjoyed the movie. And oh yes the still have Ragge/carribean music playing before and during sail away. They actually have a sail away party on lido. We didnt go as we had are own little party at one of the forward decks. And I agree about getting so in the mood as soon as I get on board. Like the first waiter I saw selling a DOD said to me" It's time to get drunk"! A couple of DOD's and a couple of my own from the bottle of bacardi I bought from the Bon Voyage dept. and I was well on my way. Oh....and the bottle of champaign I popped at sail away...:p

Just got off the May 30th-Jun 6th sailing, and it was the first sailing that the Splendor had your time dining. We loved it! We were able to request the same waiter ( Lindo, who was just amazing, really went out of his way) every night.

I enjoy the your time dining because it gives you the chance to be flexible.

We've had your time dining twice now on Paradise and we also loved it! So I'm very pleased that you were happy with it on the Splendor. Now I know I made the right choice.

Do you remember what other movies were shown on the Movies Under the Stars? Were you cold while watching the movie?

What were your favorite food places?

Thanks so much! :)