Vancouver terminal - a nightmare????

I can only speak on my experience on May 8th, but to clarify my references were to the disorganization prior to getting to the line for customs. Of course that one would be extra long due to the fact that we needed to be pre-cleared for entry to the US. While long, there were stantions providing organization, and it did move, albeit slowly (naturally).

My issue was the system, or rather lack of system, prior to customs. I may be assuming that the terminal management would be in charge of how to organize the flow in and out for those embarking and disembarking. If this is incorrect, then I apologize. However, the fact remains that my experience was the following:

-weaving through a maze of equally confused passengers, in and out of the terminal parking lot with no directional signs to confirm we were even headed in the right direction upon entering that parking space down below.

-mixing embarking and disembarking pax in one space.

-miraculously finding someone to speak with who direct us to luggage drop off and, after handling that, being directed to the line wound up being the luggage dropoff line anyway, even after stating we had dropped off our luggage.

-having multiple lines snake around, actually intersecting at several points, with no staff or stantions to define them.

-hearing two frazzled employees direct people "next in line" to drop off their luggage and then return to the end of the same exact line which they had just come off of.

My husband and I took it all in stride, as we had already dropped our luggage off prior to getting on any line. Not sure of my reaction had I been told I needed to go to the back of a line I had already waited on for 45 minutes. There was a lot of unneccessary confusion during that phase. I work in a field where I often deal with the "mad rush" and can spot when a crowd control system is out of whack or non-existant.

The staff appeared just as dismayed at this as the passengers, and had the unfortunate task of working through the confusion. I am not suggesting that any of the individual workers at the terminal created the confusion. I am suggesting that a better organizational system be developed if this is more the norm than the exception. Most on line with us were chalking it up to it being early in the season prior to the customs line. On the customs line, I believe most understood why that takes the time it takes. Had this been our first cruise, and not having found this website to research, this experience would have been even more confusing. Just as I don't think it's fair to blame the individual staff that day, it isn't fair to blame a cruiser who "hadn't done their research" for being surprised and confused about what occured that one day. It isn't unreasonable to expect some direction and organization when a cruise terminal knows 7000 people are all passing through one space in a few hours' time.

I've been in those lines. I believe that a person who cannot do the standing needs his/her own wheelchair. I stood for so long I sat on the floor a few times.

I listened to the discussion in the line about passports and paperwork and was surprised to find that people got that far without having the right paperwork or had an expired passport or a lack of name match for passport and boarding paperwork.

And you wonder why the lines are slow?

Ceilidh1 - just the right information. Thanks. I feel much more secure now about Canada Place and embarkation.:)

Putterdude and LindaKE - I may look into the wheelchair rental. I can usually handle getting around the ship just fine. And, if I get off the ship, I'll plan my timing so that most of those disembarking have already left. Don't plan on going on any tours, so, my time is my own.

Thanks, again. This board is just great!

:) Hope you have a wonderful time in Vancouver and a great cruise...oh, and waive to me I am located on the starboard side about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge...that will be me standing by my barbeque with a glass of vodka/tonic raised in salute.

I know that I have posted numerous times about the process at Canada Place and what causes the delays - no one that uses CruiseCritic (and does their research) would be blaming either the cruiseline or the port for 99% of the line ups (even on 3 ship days!!!) if they just read and took notice of all the advice that us locals give. Believe me, we dislike the lines as much as the passengers (and it gets wearing having to smile and apologize over and over for something that is out of your control) but we don't get to enjoy a cruise at the end of it all!

Having sailed out of Vancouver 5-6 times when there have been 2-3 ships in I have trouble believing that the total confusion on May 15th lies with Customs. The port staff were so poorly trained they could not even answer a simple question as to where luggage could be dropped off. We arrived via the sky train and walked down the ramp. We passed the one luggage truck but it was only for the Sapphire (we were on the Coral), we asked about 5 people in uniforms where the luggage drop was for the Coral and no one knew and no one would even check. (we kept getting the I don't know response) We were give a slip of paper that said to return at 130PM (it was already 125PM). We ended up in a line for the baggage drop for Holland America even though we told the port staff we were looking for the Coral baggage drop. The baggage handlers from the Holland America ship went and checked for us and sent us to the right baggage drop, which involved ducking under barricades, setting off security doors and jumping over hurdles. If we had arrived by cab this could possibly have been avoided.

If the port would have at least had staff directing people to the correct baggage drops to begin with a lot of aggravation would have been saved.

After we dropped out bags we left and came back after 230PM and we were still in the security line up for over 2 hours. Once through security the customs/immigration line moved fast and the cruise check in was quick with the exception of the port staff the were arguing amongst each other over collecting the health questionaires.

There are washrooms and places to sit both pre and post security at Canada Place.

We counted 4 chairs in the pre security area between the womens washroom and concession. I guess you could call this a place to sit it you can beat out 8000 other people.

Oh my. That's way too many ships! I'm back to my worry wart mode. How would I go about ordering a wheelchair ahead of time? I'm using an on-line agent to book the cruise. My guess is that I'd need to make arrangements before hand, as there might not be enough wheelchairs to go around. Any suggestions?

I'm still planning to be there at 10:30/10:45, in the hopes that I can at least be near the front of the line.

Oh my. That's way too many ships! I'm back to my worry wart mode. How would I go about ordering a wheelchair ahead of time? I'm using an on-line agent to book the cruise. My guess is that I'd need to make arrangements before hand, as there might not be enough wheelchairs to go around. Any suggestions?

I'm still planning to be there at 10:30/10:45, in the hopes that I can at least be near the front of the line.

Order a wheelchair ahead of time and as soon as you get to the port ask the first rep you see (regardless of cruiseline) for wheelchair assistance. Sometimes, 10:30 is too early for a wheelchair to come off the ship as the crew members are still dealing with disembarking passengers and their onboard duties. If this is the case, try to get as far as the terminal and keep asking for a wheelchair! If you are on a cruiseline transfer, they will call ahead and let the terminal know that you are coming and need assistance. If you are going there independently, you may need to wait until the wheelchairs are brought off the ship. Which cruiseline are you travelling on?

Order a wheelchair ahead of time and as soon as you get to the port ask the first rep you see (regardless of cruiseline) for wheelchair assistance.

This is excellent advice and exactly what we do at Canada Place and any other terminal we embark at.:)

Thanks, ceilidh1. I'm traveling on Holland America (Ryndam). I will be traveling independently. If I can get through security/customs, I think I should be ok. I'll try the on-line agency I'm using to see if they can get a wheelchair arranged ahead of time. I'm flying in the day before. Would a later time be better, do you think? It's so comforting to have someone like you to provide information.

I'm taking deep breaths, and trying not to worry too much. I'll just keep visualizing myself on the ship, and, keep asking for help.

Did a little more research on my own - the two other ships I didn't know about are the Spirit of Endeavor (102 pax) and the Silver Shadow (382 pax). I already knew about the Millenium (1870 pax). So, this really shouldn't be too bad after all. My vivid imagination had already put two of the mega ships alongside my Ryndam. Silly goose.:o

Your online agency should be able to arrange to have the ship provide a wheelchair assist for you if not then contact Celebrity directly. If both of these fail then I had the experience when arriving at Canada Place staff have called the ship for a wheelchair, you should not have a problem and enjoy your cruise.:)

Cheildi, I have a passport (CDN) that will expire in October just before we head south for the winter. I also have a current NEXUS card. Being cheap, I would like send my passport off for renewal just before we leave on the Diamond on August 28 for a 14 day return. I am wondering if people are arriving at Canada Place with just NEXUS cards as both CBS and DHS has said that they are now adequate at all land and sea locations? Have you any thoughts or experience with this?

Cheildi, I have a passport (CDN) that will expire in October just before we head south for the winter. I also have a current NEXUS card. Being cheap, I would like send my passport off for renewal just before we leave on the Diamond on August 28 for a 14 day return. I am wondering if people are arriving at Canada Place with just NEXUS cards as both CBS and DHS has said that they are now adequate at all land and sea locations? Have you any thoughts or experience with this?

I know, for sure, that last season they were not set up for Nexus at the port. I haven't had anyone ask about it yet this season, but when I'm in next I'll find out for you and let you know!

I looked on line and saw that the Volendam will be the only ship at Canada Place on June 9th. Am I right or did I look at the wrong website?

There will be 2 ships on June 9th, Volendam and Seven Seas Navigator.

Well I do know that the Nexus works both ways at non Nexus lanes along the border now. Was still concerned and carried passports but CBS took them without question. (finally) That's one hurdle over. DHS southbound has been fine with just the Nexus for some while.

I know, for sure, that last season they were not set up for Nexus at the port. I haven't had anyone ask about it yet this season, but when I'm in next I'll find out for you and let you know!

Thanks, there was an announcement by both governments back in November that would lead you to believe that the NEXUS card could be used at all land and sea crossings regardless if a reader is availbel or not.

It has been a few weeks since the beginning of the cruise season out of Vancouver.

What have the recent embarkation days been like? Does it seem like the kinks have been worked out?

thanks!

I was just reading a thread on the HAL board and it sounded like the Vancouver terminal is a real nightmare for embarkation. Was this just someone whining, or is it really a problem. Sounded like 2 - 3 hours waiting time before they could board the ship. Just trying to get some feedback. If it's a long wait, I may need to have wheelchair assistance. Any information would be appreciated....

We boarded the Ryndam a week ago Sunday and got there about 10:45AM and walked directly thru security and checked in by 11:00. Sat down in the waiting area chairs and we were onboard by 11:15 - 11:30. Very smooth...

No lines at all (only 1 ship in Port on that day)

Thanks, there was an announcement by both governments back in November that would lead you to believe that the NEXUS card could be used at all land and sea crossings regardless if a reader is availbel or not.

I confirmed with the officers today that Nexus can be used at Canada Place. It does not "fast track" you through, but it does work!

Archived