Zaandam. ??

Travelbug 2

Our next cruise will be on HAL's Zaandam in early 2011. I have been reading some negative posts about the condition of the ship (also read some positive ones) and I am wondering ---

(a) How much should we read into negative posts, maybe some people are just too fussy?

(b) Is Zaandam due for, or recently had, a refurbishment in drydock?

We have cruised with HAL in the past and have been very satisfied but due to health concerns have not cruised since 2008. Now we are ready to sail again and we are looking forward to our reunion with HAL. I just can't see HAL letting it's ships get "tatty".

Any comments from recent Zaandam cruisers would be appreciated.

We were on the Zaandam Circle Hawaii cruise in Jan/Feb this year. The ship was just out of drydock. We had a leaky sprinkler in our room, which they fixed pretty quickly. Several elevators were out of order at any given time. We had really rough seas the first day and a half out, which may have caused problems with the elevators (not sure), but I think they eventually got them fixed (not all during our cruise, had to wait for parts). Otherwise, I did not notice anything to be concerned about (but wasn't really looking).

We were on the Zaandam March 26 - April 6 this year. Thought the ship was very nice, good size, and just out of dry dock about 2 months. One elevator permanently not working - probably waiting for parts. Unfortunately, it was a forward one which is the one you take to disembark for ports. Didn't let that bother us and thorougly enjoyed the ship. Older ships have probems but that's life. Crew and service were perfect.

The Zaandam is an older ship..but perfectly charming..like everyone says one forward elevator was out...we were aft so it never really affected us..even when waiting to catch a forward elevator after being in port there was basically not waiting..there are three others there that are working.

We sailed Hawaii April 6th and loved our cruise..even with rough seas, stabilizer problems for a few hours and cool weather. Officers and crew were outstanding..probably the best we've ever had. The Hawaiian lecturer Kainoa was worth the trip itself:) and he will be on board next year..I asked!! He is also certified as a tour guide/lecturer for Mexico too.

Our cabin was spacious, bed great, room service right on time. The culinary demos and all the other activities on board the ship were very good. I would sail her again in a heartbeat..actually just wish we could do Hawaii again..but it will have to wait a year or two:)

Archived