Island Hopping in the Eastern Caribbean: An Emerald Princess 5/2/10 Review (w/photos)

Hollybelle

Loving your review!!! I can't wait to hear about your day with the Castaway Girl! We had a great time -- fun crew and snorkeling!!! That rum punch was a bit powerful! Actually, my SIL and I can't really remember getting back on the ship! :eek: But we have plenty of pictures (even some walking back to the ship)!!! :D

Holly, this is by far one of the best reviews I've ever seen here. Your writing skills, combined with your magnificent photos and sense of humor are simply wonderful.

Keep up the good work and enjoy every cruise in your future! ;)

Hey Holly..I spent the better part of the weekend reading your Disney reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. You make me want to go back to Disney!

I like the fact that you go to Disney with Brett's parents and cruises with your parents. Very cool.

Hi Hollybelle..

I have enjoyed your pictures of the Emerald Princess along with the Eastern Caribbean Itinerary review..I'm glad you 'found' your way to the observation deck above the bridge..My cabin steward told how to access the area during my Med cruise on the Emerald in 2007..While I don't have the photographic skills which you possess, I did get an awesome picture of Naples bay with Mount Vesuvius in the background from that location..Anyway, we, my son, his GF and granddaughter will be doing this cruise in late June..and I will be sharing your review and pictures with them...Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences and pictures..Awesome..

I want to upgrade my camera from Canon Elfi but I'm not ready for a Rebel..Considering a Canon 20IS..12x with wide angle options..

Carol

Hi Carol! Thanks for the compliments. I can only imagine how beautiful the scenery is on a Mediterranean cruise... one day! :D You and your family are going to have so much fun on this cruise in June. I've heard good things about the Canon "bridge" cameras like the 20IS... so I say go for it!!

Hi Hollybelle,

I've been "lurking" (reading but not responding) through your thread and enjoying it more than you know during our gray Seattle area days. You bring back some great memories!!! Thanks for the time you have devoted to giving us a great read and for the fab pictures! You are very talented!

Yay... thanks for coming out of lurkdom to post!! And for reading along. I do appreciate it. :D

Hollybelle,

I am just loving your review and photos. The pics you took leaving St. Maarten and your sunset pics are breathtaking. I too love taking pics on vacation and take lots in the hopes just a few will come out good. I'm not much of a photographer so I'm blow away when I see the beauty you have captured. You are also so kind to take the time to respond to everyone who has questions or comments. Looking forward to your next installment.

~~Maun

Awww, thanks Maun. You're too kind. As for responding to everyone's posts... I feel like it's the least I can do because I truly appreciate it when people take the time to leave a post when they read along.

This is the first time I have seen this picture, I can't stop laughing!! Brett, I know that your Mama taugh you not to make fun of your elders.....my very first concert.:eek:

I can't stop laughing at your response! :D Plus, I had no clue Barry Manilow was your first concert... learn something new every day!

I can smell the salt air and I've gained 3 pounds looking at desserts. I'm having so much

fun between your and Andy's reviews. I would rather cruise vicariously than just wait

and wait for Sept to roll around. I'm so sorry I have to leave you to get ready for a

Pampered Chef party. With wine, so it will be bearable.

When I get back, I'll enjoy St Maarten. Probably more than I ever have before!!!!

I'm glad you're along for the ride, jagsfan! I'm totally in agreement with you with regards to cruising vicariously... it's much better than just waiting! I hope you enjoyed your party... and St. Maarten when you returned!

Okay so if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm seeing some of these pictures for the first time too. I'm just a tad apprehensive about what is still to come.

oops...as I was saying, I think this is my favorite photo so far. I love the glow of the sun beaming down the side of of the ship.

I'm sure that you could "Photo Shop" those nice people right off of the balconies, and enter this one.

Thanks, mom!! That bridge offered a lot of great photo opportunities. I can't wait until we do it again.... in two weeks. :eek:

Loving your review!!! I can't wait to hear about your day with the Castaway Girl! We had a great time -- fun crew and snorkeling!!! That rum punch was a bit powerful! Actually, my SIL and I can't really remember getting back on the ship! :eek: But we have plenty of pictures (even some walking back to the ship)!!! :D

OMG... we only vaguely recall our return to the ship! :eek: That was some crazy potent rum punch. It was sooooo good. And I have to agree with you...the crew was wonderful. You'll likely recognize some of the folks in my upcoming photos!

Hollybelle-- all i can say is WOW!!!! im doing the same itinarary but on the sister ship the Ruby in Nov- this had made me feel like im there already!!

two questions for you-- what time did you line up in St. Marteen to be the first off the ship?

and secondly, didnt you know that Barry Manilow writes the songs that make the whole world sing? lol.

thank you so much for taking the time to do all this work so us cruise junkies can get their fixes!!

Holly, this is by far one of the best reviews I've ever seen here. Your writing skills, combined with your magnificent photos and sense of humor are simply wonderful.

Keep up the good work and enjoy every cruise in your future! ;)

I don't know what to say, madelinerose, you're too kind. :)

Thanks for such a great review. My DH and I are going on the CB in July, and living vicariously through you is making the time pass quicker.

You're welcome. Have fun on your cruise in July!!

Hey Holly..I spent the better part of the weekend reading your Disney reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. You make me want to go back to Disney!

I like the fact that you go to Disney with Brett's parents and cruises with your parents. Very cool.

Wooohooo... I love Disney! It's a big part of who Brett and I are as a couple... cheesy as that may sound. ;) Cruising and Disney: two best vacations ever!!

I just realized from your ticker that you're leaving in 4 days! I hope you're all packed up and have a fabulous cruise. :D

Hollybelle-- all i can say is WOW!!!! im doing the same itinarary but on the sister ship the Ruby in Nov- this had made me feel like im there already!!

two questions for you-- what time did you line up in St. Marteen to be the first off the ship?

and secondly, didnt you know that Barry Manilow writes the songs that make the whole world sing? lol.

thank you so much for taking the time to do all this work so us cruise junkies can get their fixes!!

Thanks for cruising along with us, red4u2! You're going to have a fabulous cruise in November. I just looked at my notes and I have 9:40 written down for the approximate time we went to get in line to debark in St. Martin. So maybe 15-20 minutes prior to the time we were supposed to get off.

How could I forget that about Barry Manilow?! :D

Holly,

My hubby & I are going on the same ship/cruise in July for our 18th anniversary. We have cruised 5 times to Mexico, so this is our 1st, and a 20 year dream come true, to cruise the Caribbean. We have spend the weekend reading & anxiously awaiting the next posts. We are definitely going with the Bernard Tours, looks like all the sights we want to see. The pastries look amazing. Just made a pact that we will workout hard each day, to offset all those guilty pleasures. Thanks for all your time you put into this, for us 1st timers, who were not sure what to do, or what to expect. We also will be checking out Andy's review as well. Many Thanks!!!;) Now were REALLY super excited!

Holly,

My hubby & I are going on the same ship/cruise in July for our 18th anniversary. We have cruised 5 times to Mexico, so this is our 1st, and a 20 year dream come true, to cruise the Caribbean. We have spend the weekend reading & anxiously awaiting the next posts. We are definitely going with the Bernard Tours, looks like all the sights we want to see. The pastries look amazing. Just made a pact that we will workout hard each day, to offset all those guilty pleasures. Thanks for all your time you put into this, for us 1st timers, who were not sure what to do, or what to expect. We also will be checking out Andy's review as well. Many Thanks!!!;) Now were REALLY super excited!

We're celebrating our 32 anniversary on the Emerald Princess in July as well. When do you leave? Our's sailing is on 7/11/10. Sounds lucky doesn't it? Shall we save you a seat at our table? Are you on a Roll Call now? Ours is pretty quiet. I'm use to cruisers like the ones on this thread who like to chat often.

Marsha:)

Spent the weekend still trying to ease back into reality and saw your wrap up of St Maarten. Those stunning pictures really show your skills with your camera. Now you got me hooked. It's a holiday weekend here in Canada (and you get yours the next weekend) and I spent a whole day yesterday and again today taking Aaren around town so I can start learning to use my new camera. (I will send you some pics by email)

I think a great review is an understatement. You have obviously raised the bar another notch in terms of "Review with Pictures". Like I said, you should be a photo journalist. Or better yet, all the major cruise lines could consider hiring you to re-do all their brochures :D Wouldn't that be a nice job?

Spent the weekend still trying to ease back into reality and saw your wrap up of St Maarten. Those stunning pictures really show your skills with your camera. Now you got me hooked. It's a holiday weekend here in Canada (and you get yours the next weekend) and I spent a whole day yesterday and again today taking Aaren around town so I can start learning to use my new camera. (I will send you some pics by email)

I think a great review is an understatement. You have obviously raised the bar another notch in terms of "Review with Pictures". Like I said, you should be a photo journalist. Or better yet, all the major cruise lines could consider hiring you to re-do all their brochures :D Wouldn't that be a nice job?

Andy

I just noticed you are from Toronto Have you ever attended "moose in the city?" Got any photos of that? My DH's nickname for me is moose and that would be a delight to see since we missed it.

Maesha

I just realized from your ticker that you're leaving in 4 days! I hope you're all packed up and have a fabulous cruise. :D

Yes.. we are leaving Thursday. Notice I spent my last weekend reading reviews rather than getting my stuff ready?

I will be spending the better part of these three days packing.. lol.

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your reviews.

Hey Hollybelle, Buffalofirsttimer4, CruiseCheers, kittikat and kittikat_sister etc, etc:

Have your credit cards been billed by Princess yet? My bar bill still have not shown up on my card yet and it has been almost 2 weeks since I got off the ship. I wonder if they forgot:D

Mine was only $25.72-after OBC's applied-showed up the Monday after we got back.

Hollybelle:

Just saw from your signature that you are cruising again 6/4/10. Can we expect another wonderful photo review? I'm really interested to hear your opinions on NCL. We loved our itinerary on the NCL Star (Alaska), but were not overly thrilled with the food. That being said, the new NCL Epic looks absolutely wonderful and all the various activities offered (ice bar, Blue Man Group, Cirque de Soleil) just might outweigh less than stellar food... In any case, hoping for a review of your experiences on NCL.

Pam

Hey Monique! Have you been playing "I Spy Monique" with all of the Orient beach pictures? :D

Of course I have since I didn't have my shirt on :eek:. We had a group of spanish speaking children arrive while we were @ Orient Beach and the look on the little boys faces was priceless-of course when we take the kids with us- my shirt has to stay on-that's why they didn't come on this one!:D

Hi, Monique! Thanks for stopping by my review. I'm totally impressed that you went topless. Mom and I were actually talking about how nice it was to see the people on Orient Beach loving life. I totally agree that you only live once. We need to cruise together again sometime... and actually hang out!!

that sounds like fun- we'll have to coordinate something. ;)

Hey u- great review so far-haven't even begun mine yet, thanks for taking such great photos and writing such vivid details because I'm reliving it through you. :) I just grabbed a cold Corona and thought of our laugh together!

DH & I took a cab to Orient Beach- price depends on the number of people- $18 if just 2, but can go down to $6 a person if more than 6. I believe the government dictates the pricing. It was the most relaxing day... and yes my top came off :D-been doing it since we started doing AI's, my philosophy is you only live once and you better enjoy it because it will pass you by. ;)

Happy Sailing!

Good for you, I would have been right with you!:eek::p

Hey Holly:

How'd you sneak this one in:confused::confused:

I knew you were going on the DD but the Sky too? Wow, counting the short one you got off in January, 3 cruises in one year? I am so jealous.

Carnival Liberty 5/2/2009: Review with pictures

RCI Monarch of the Seas 12/28/2009: Review with pictures

Emerald Princess 5/2/2010: Review with pictures

Norwegian Sky 6/4/2010?????

Disney Dream 3/20/2011

Hollybelle:

Just saw from your signature that you are cruising again 6/4/10. Can we expect another wonderful photo review? I'm really interested to hear your opinions on NCL. We loved our itinerary on the NCL Star (Alaska), but were not overly thrilled with the food. That being said, the new NCL Epic looks absolutely wonderful and all the various activities offered (ice bar, Blue Man Group, Cirque de Soleil) just might outweigh less than stellar food... In any case, hoping for a review of your experiences on NCL.

Pam

I agree with Pam, the food on NCL sucks. IMHO :rolleyes: I think they do it on purpose so you spend money on the specialty restaurants.

Holly,

I am having withdrawal symptoms!!!! SOOOO looking forward to the rest of your review! :D:D:D It is one of the BEST I have ever read. You are an incredible photographer.

Thank you for sharing!

Holly,

Congratulations on your 18th anniversary!! Thanks for coming along with us. This was my first time cruising the Eastern itinerary and I must admit, I quite love it!! It managed to even exceed my expectations. You won't be disappointed with Bernard's. Not only is it a fabulous day of touring, but it's a steal at $35 pp. And I know you'll thoroughly enjoy Andy's review!

You're too kind, Andy! Although, I think I've got my mama hooked, too! :D I just know she's gonna have a spiffy new DSLR before her next cruise. I've learned a lot just by trial and error with settings, so I'd say you're off to a great start just taking it around town. I need to do that more often. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be a photo journalist, or find some way to incorporate writing/photography into a future career... I think you may have just described my dream job!!! :)

Yes.. we are leaving Thursday. Notice I spent my last weekend reading reviews rather than getting my stuff ready?

I will be spending the better part of these three days packing.. lol.

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your reviews.

I'm a total procrastinator, too, when it comes to packing. HATE it. But it's oh so worth it. Will you be doing a review when you return? Please say yes!!

Hollybelle:

Pam

Oh yes, I plan on writing another review. I'm addicted. :rolleyes: This is going to be a short weekend girl's trip for mom and I! And I'm so excited. I've just started doing some research on NCL and don't know what to think yet. Mom and Dad are considering a possible Hawaii cruise aboard NCL, so this is a perfect way to gain "past guest" privileges in case they do go that route later.

Of course I have since I didn't have my shirt on :eek:. We had a group of spanish speaking children arrive while we were @ Orient Beach and the look on the little boys faces was priceless-of course when we take the kids with us- my shirt has to stay on-that's why they didn't come on this one!:D

I can just imagine that group of little guys... I totally didn't see them while we were there, but that had to be really funny. Good reason to leave the boys at home every now and then!! ;)

that sounds like fun- we'll have to coordinate something. ;)

Absolutely!!!

Archived