**Golden Princess May 14, 2011 - Vancouver To Seattle**

LEtue

Hi Ginger!

Talk about a perfect cruise! I looked at Royal Caribbean's 14 day "ultimate Alaska cruise" but I think the combo of these 2 cruiseships is just way better. Victoria will be a repeat but that's ok because we LOVE it there! We'll probably just go out to dinner on the 2nd stop. The time is terrible (7pm to MN) and I think most things will be closed (like the Gardens) so I am glad we get a full day on the Sapphire.

The only downside is having to clear customs and change ships. But oh well, it can't be more than a 3-4 hour ordeal, right? Well worth 2 wonderful weeks of vacation!

Katherine

Thanks Katherine,

We did the 14 day on the Tahitian Princess (now Ocean) RT from Vancouver, which took us to 'off the beaten path' ports. I think the gardens are illuminated in the evenings for the benefit of cruise ship passengers that only have an evening opportunity to visit. I am not sure when in the season they begin that, but I am hoping it will be available for our cruise.

Changing ships will be a bit of a process, but hopefully you can disembark about 9:45, and board before noon. It's the packing and suitcase stuff that is most of the hassle, I think.

Ginger

Welcome Ginger!

If you change your mind about the Princess shuttle you can join Margie and I on the train from Seattle to Vancouver. We made the trip once before and it a nice way to travel :)

Thank you Linda. If we go, it will be with 4 other people, and I am thinking the easiest way to move them all without incident will be the bus, with delivery directly to Canada Place, but we will keep the train in mind.

Ginger

Hello Mary, Linda, Katherine, Deej, Margie and Gatorpwr,

DH and I just booked this cruise while aboard the Caribbean Princess. We are planning to take my niece and her friend, and my parents along. We are hoping that the timing will work out for my parents (who spend their winters in The Villages - close to Ocala), but have not finalized anything with our fellow travelers to date. We were aboard the Golden in April, for the round trip LA - Hawaii sailing, celebrating my parents' 55th wedding anniversary. We had to twist some arms to have them join us, but it was our anniversary present to them and they did relent. They also enjoyed it alot, and we enjoyed having them to ourselves for two great weeks. Now it is time to show them a bit of Alaska before shore excursions become too much for them.

I've enjoyed reading the thread so far. Katherine, San Diego is one of my favorite places to spend time. Right now, I would love to be there. We have had heat wave after heat wave in the mid-Atlantic, and I am ready for some cooler weather.

Margie, we sailed with you last fall on the Crown to New England. We had two wonderful cruises, with just about perfect weather both weeks.

We are planning on flying into SeaTac a day ahead, and taking the Princess bus transfers up to Vancouver to sail. We have done that in the past, and find it easy and comfortable. We'll just stay someplace close by the airport, and return to the baggage claim area to catch the bus.

While some might be wondering why Victoria is on the itinerary, I do hope that we actually make port there. It is a charming town, and we would love for my mother to see it. Dad has been there, as have Wes and I, but mother hasn't yet had the opportunity.

Someone has booked this b2b with the Sapphire coastal - I will have to take a look at that. If it looks like Wes and I are doing this alone, then starting from southern CA seems like a good idea. We enjoy the Sapphire very much.

Wes and I were cruising during a few majors this year, but we do enjoy following golf. We don't have the opportunity to play as much as we would like, and certainly our weather this year so far has been too hot for us to be motivated to play. I also love football - but follow the pro teams more than the college teams.

No kids at home anymore - just our incredible Himalayan kitty. We believe we have the world's sweetest and best looking fur baby.

Looking forward to chatting everyone over the coming months and meeting for sailaway!

Ginger

Hi, Ginger and welcome to you and your party. I have to say this is really shaping up to be a great group... especially so early in the planning process.

I sailed on the May CB repo from San Juan to New York. It was splendid and exceeded my expectations.

I think all of us like pro football, too. We just haven't discussed it... yet! I just "scored" free tickets to the Dallas/New Orleans game on Thanksgiving Day. My first visit to "Jerry's World". :D

Are any of you Floridians getting rain from Bonnie?

What a work week! TGIF! Have a good one...

Mary

Thank you Linda. If we go, it will be with 4 other people, and I am thinking the easiest way to move them all without incident will be the bus, with delivery directly to Canada Place, but we will keep the train in mind.

Ginger

I would agree. With a group of people traveling together the shuttle probably makes things easier. :)

Are any of you Floridians getting rain from Bonnie?

Mary

Not much rain here really. It rained for a couple of hours but I don't think we got more than an inch or so....and I was hoping for more!

Hey there Ginger...welcome to the club!

No rain to report here. In fact there were very few clouds in the sky today, which is rare for central Florida summer. I felt ambitious yesterday, and decided I was going to walk 9 holes. I haven't walked a golf course in years. While I enjoyed walking for a change, I think I appreciate my relationship with a cart:)

Thats awesome that you get to go to the new stadium Mary. That thing looks amazing, and yet grotesque all at the same time:rolleyes:

Hi all,

Happy Friday night! I am obsessively reading the Alaska reviews for the Golden from this season! What's wrong with me??? It's like 9 months away but I am taking notes. LOL. Can you tell that I am excited?!

So far I have cut and pasted about 30 pages of light reading into a word document that I can review before we book the excursions. LOL.

By the way, I highly recommend the train too. We took it before our Northbound cruise on Star Princess back in 2002 and it was a highlight of the trip! The scenery is fantastic along the coast of WA. It's also faster and more relaxing than the bus, which has to drive thru customs. I heard that can take up to 3 hours to get through on the CA border. :eek:

Katherine

Hi all -- I'm finally back! I have had the week from hell and was sooooo glad to leave the office this afternoon. I have so much to catch up on here and I'm sure I'll leave some of it out.

Ginger, welcome! It's good to have you sailing with us to Alaska, my absolute favorite cruise. I like the Sapphire Princess also. My mother and I sailed her to Alaska in late May this year. It is a beautiful ship, for sure. I'm addicted to Alaska cruises!

I'm liking all the rain we have been having, Mary, because it has kept the temps down a little bit. To the person whose children are complaining they haven't been swimming yet this year -- one of the advantages of living in Houston is that we swim almost year round!

Where are all the Longhorn fans????? My dad started the family tradition by going to school there and playing baseball, then several of us kids went there (my sister played volleyball), my son graduated from there and my sister's son played on the 2005 Natioanl Championship team! So yes, we definitely bleed orange in my neck of the woods. Three of my children live in Austin so I get to visit there often. It's a beautiful city, but I always feel it's even hotter than Houston!

Linda, I don't think you are going to see me hula dancing anytime soon. There might be a mass migration for the exits if that were to happen!

I'm glad to be back in the land of the living and thinking about cruising again.

Linda, I don't think you are going to see me hula dancing anytime soon. There might be a mass migration for the exits if that were to happen!

I'm glad to be back in the land of the living and thinking about cruising again.

Margie, I'm sorry you had such a bad week :(

We could use this hula dancing thing to our advantage....especially if we're in port and we're anxious to get off the ship quick :p Maybe it will speed things up!

Good Afternoon, Everyone

Margie... I am a big Longhorn fan...I used to live in Austin and travel there on business at least 2X's a month. I graduated from Baylor and am now an even bigger Texas fan. The Bears are forever grateful to UT for taking the $$$ and staying in the Big 12, at least for now. Without them, we'd be in noman's land or rather in a 2nd tier conference.

deej - I hear you about Jerry's World. Quite a piece of work for a country struggling with a recession. Anyway, I can't pass-up a free chance to experience it.

Yes, we usually swim year round in Houston. Except for this year. We had a VERY cold winter. Now a rainy, mild summer. Still, I'm ready for fall.

Don't worry about looking foolish doing the hula... Nothing could be as funny as my husband's. That's what makes it so much fun.... Maybe we can practice sailing up the Inside Passage in May? A couple of MaiTai's and anything is possible! :D

Host Anne is doing a live from the Golden on the Princess board this week. Should be interesting.

BTW - The Westin Seattle is down to $165 per night AAA rate.

Mary

BTW - The Westin Seattle is down to $165 per night AAA rate.

Mary is this for pre or post cruise? We are going straight to YVR pre-cruise, but I'm still looking for a place in Seattle for a night post....

I still see the $180 but not a $165 rate.....

deej and Linda... It was on spg.com for May 12 - 14. I double checked before posting because it was still $180 on westin.com. I just checked again and it is gone....:( Now shows $180....

Mary

Thanks Mary. Those are the dates we need too!

I have been monitoring the Westin site as well as Kayak.com. Maybe I need to watch this one too. Still hoping that the Grand Hyatt will offer the $156 AAA that they had last year!

Thanks Mary. Those are the dates we need too!

I have been monitoring the Westin site as well as Kayak.com. Maybe I need to watch this one too. Still hoping that the Grand Hyatt will offer the $156 AAA that they had last year!

I don't need those dates in Seattle... we'll be in Vancouver at the Hyatt. I just keep checking for all you guys....:)

I was on the site because my husband is staying at the Sheraton in Calgary next week. Decided to check pricing in Seattle while I was there...

It's still early very early....

Deej... where are you staying in Vancouver? Have you found anything yet?

Mary

I don't need those dates in Seattle... we'll be in Vancouver at the Hyatt. I just keep checking for all you guys....:)

Mary

Yes. Knew you were doing your pre-cruise in Vancouver but I wasn't sure I mentioned that Margie and I would be be in SEA for 2 nights. Thanks for your help!

I was on the site because my husband is staying at the Sheraton in Calgary next week. Decided to check pricing in Seattle while I was there...

It's still early very early....

Deej... where are you staying in Vancouver? Have you found anything yet?

Mary

We haven't nailed down one yet. Given my love of hotels, I put wayyy too much time and energy trying to find the right one. I put a lot of stock in the rankings on Trip Advisor, so I'd love to stay at the Shangri La, plus I've heard many good things about it, but I'm not sure if I wanna pay the $280. L'Hermitage gets good reviews also, and they have a rate of $174.

I'm sorta kicking myself, because a few months back I saw a rate around $140 at two of the Fairmont properties. I knew then I should have booked it, but alas, I didn't...

We haven't nailed down one yet. Given my love of hotels, I put wayyy too much time and energy trying to find the right one. I put a lot of stock in the rankings on Trip Advisor, so I'd love to stay at the Shangri La, plus I've heard many good things about it, but I'm not sure if I wanna pay the $280. L'Hermitage gets good reviews also, and they have a rate of $174.

I'm sorta kicking myself, because a few months back I saw a rate around $140 at two of the Fairmont properties. I knew then I should have booked it, but alas, I didn't...

Hotels are pricey in Vancouver... The Shangri La should be beautiful. My husband stays there in Manila.

Most years TravelZoo will have a Pan Pacific special for rooms in May. You might sign-up for TravelZoo e-mails if you don't already get them.

The Hyatt is OK, but has a great location and we get a club level room for a reasonable amount of points. The Fairmont and Sutton Place are very close by.

You are right.. The Fairmont for $140 was a keeper...

Mary

Good Morning.

Blue skies this morning after heavy late afternoon rain yesterday. I think we'll have more of the same today.

I heard several reports that higher airfare and fewer flights are forecast for the airline industry. I'm glad we have our airfare booked! Don't think pricing/FF flight availability will get better.

Has anyone ever taken the ferry/float plane trip from Vancouver to Victoria? As our time in Victoria is very short, we're thinking about going over to Victoria on one of our pre-cruise days. We've never been to Buchart Gardens and I'd love to go.

Mary

Mary, I visited Buchart Gardens on our last trip to Alaska (May 2010) and it was beautiful. It would have been so much better had I been able to actually SEE the flowers! I didn't get to see much at all visiting at night, and I think a day trip would be so much better. Just my two cents worth.

I agree. Our night time stop is totally unsatisfying. Did you notice that the itiniary also has only a 5 hour stop in Ketchikan??? That's so wierd. It's like they tried to squeeze these ports in to sell more cabins but really neither is a full day stop that's worthy of counting.

Luckily, we are doing the Sapphire Coastal before this cruise, which has a full day stop in Victoria. For this cruise, we'll probably just stay around the ship since it'll be dark for most of our stop. :eek:

Katherine

I agree. Our night time stop is totally unsatisfying. Did you notice that the itiniary also has only a 5 hour stop in Ketchikan??? That's so wierd. It's like they tried to squeeze these ports in to sell more cabins but really neither is a full day stop that's worthy of counting.

Luckily, we are doing the Sapphire Coastal before this cruise, which has a full day stop in Victoria. For this cruise, we'll probably just stay around the ship since it'll be dark for most of our stop. :eek:

Katherine

I noticed this also Katherine. A few of the itineraries we were considering before booking had short stops in Victoria, so I wasn't surprised by that. But it wasn't till well after we booked that I noticed the short day in Ketchikan.

Starting to think about excursions myself. Anyone have any thoughts yet?

I have never had more than 6 hours or so in Ketchikan so time is always short here :( Seems they could add a couple of hours and get into to Victoria later. That stop is wasted anyway....and I have read posts where the captain actually send a tender ashore to cover the stop requirements - when the ship can't get in to port.

But it is time enough for a kayak trip and some shopping :D

Seems like our time in Ketchican has always been short... Except once we took a boat through Misty Fjords... That took about 6 hours and then we shopped.

We've been to Ketchican so many times it isn't a big deal for us. The bigger question is... How many ships are in port that day? Gets REALLY crowded sometimes.

Mary

Archived