Queens Grill for 18 month old?

chandon

Hello,

We are looking at booking a suite in order to have more space for our toddler. Does anyone have experience with bringing a small child into this dining area? We are concerned that if she makes a little noise (she is a bit of a chatterer), those who also paid more for these suites will disapprove and it will be uncomfortable.

Thank you!

I would have to agree with the previous poster. Maybe a one time thing but in as much as you will be onboard for a number of days, not really what I would care to have, even at breakfast when I tend to be rather singular and not one for much in the way of noise. But you will have a suite and Cunard prides itself in serving delicious meals en suite so I would say plan on taking all your meals en suite and every one will be happy.

Afraid I would have to agree - one of the main reasons for going QG, to me, is for the restaurant etc., so it would be a shame for you to miss out on this by having to eat elsewhere. However, as I'm sure you are aware, trying to get an 18 month old to behave in a refined manner fitting their surroundings is almost impossible (and I'm not sure I would want to place such restrictions on a child of that age).

The fact is, others will have expectations of behaviour and will probably not be happy with any form of crying, screaming, shouting, gurgling, which are all things that one can expect from a child of that age. In turn, this will probably make you feel overly conscoius of things and possibly uncomfortable, and that could ruin your holiday.

If it means you don't get to use Gueens Grill much, that would be a terrible waste of money, so that is where I would question whether it is really worth it.

Hello,

We are looking at booking a suite in order to have more space for our toddler. Does anyone have experience with bringing a small child into this dining area? We are concerned that if she makes a little noise (she is a bit of a chatterer), those who also paid more for these suites will disapprove and it will be uncomfortable.

Thank you!

Very nice of you to show such concern for the well-being of your fellow passengers. There are wonderful child-care and babysitting options on board--why not take advantage of them at dinner time while you relax in the Grill, and then enjoy the company of your little one in other venues at lunch time? Breakfast could be had en famille in your suite, and a good time would be had by all. What a lovely experience to look forward to. Bon voyage!!! ;)

I see it this way you have paid to dine in Queens or Princess Grill so you have as much right to be in there like everyone else try the restaurant ojn the 1st night and if you find you feel uncomfortable dine in the other options onboard.

Hi there

We've just got back from QM2 with our 2.5 yr old. We had an in hull balcony room (that was recommended by Cunard) and it was ample. The cot took up a fair bit of room but could be folded down. However it was a bit of a palaver at night because we had to tiptoe around so not to wake him. We didn't choose a higher category mainly because we didn't think we would get to appreciate it fully.

We never took our son in the main dining room because we were too worried he'd play up or create too much noise. We stuck to either leaving him in the nursery and going to dinner without him, or just dining in Kings Court. The only thing I'd say is not to take it for granted that your little one will like the nursery. Our son will usually go off with anyone and attends a nursery at home. However, onboard was a different question and he refused to go in the nursery the majority of the time (to the point where he made himself sick due to crying so much!). A few other parents had the same thing happen to them.

Anyway, hope that helps a little bit!

In 2008, my wife and I had two Princess Grill suites (connecting) for us and our two girls (3 1/2, 1 1/2). They were the only two children in the P-Grill for that cruise.

Rooms and dining worked out great. We got a table for four so that we would not directly infringe on anyone, plus we would typically eat dinner as soon as the P-Grill opened, when very few people were there. We kept the same bedtime for them on vacation that we do at home. It also helped that our girls are reasonably well-behaved (IMHO!) and that they enjoy dressing up. Though I'm sure not everyone loved having them present.

As always, the staff was exceptional.

In 2008, my wife and I had two Princess Grill suites (connecting) for us and our two girls (3 1/2, 1 1/2). They were the only two children in the P-Grill for that cruise.

Rooms and dining worked out great. We got a table for four so that we would not directly infringe on anyone, plus we would typically eat dinner as soon as the P-Grill opened, when very few people were there. We kept the same bedtime for them on vacation that we do at home. It also helped that our girls are reasonably well-behaved (IMHO!) and that they enjoy dressing up. Though I'm sure not everyone loved having them present.

As always, the staff was exceptional.

Agamma, did you and your family enjoy your vacation voyage? -S

Yes, we enjoyed it a great deal. Our cruise was a NYC-FLL Caribbean cruise, so may not have been the typical Cunard experience. I'll bring my children on a crossing at some point.

Not that anyone asked, but...

Cruising with small children is a different experience, so expectations have to be set accordingly. We choose to forego the nightlife and stay in the stateroom from the children's bedtime. We pass on most shore excursions and generally just stroll through town. Daytime activities are planned around naptime. We didn't use the childrens' center because our kids are at the age they want to be with us. We would go into the Grill Lounge mid to late afternoon when it was completely empty and let the kids run wild while we each had a cocktail. We generally find the least crowded areas of the ship and try to take advantage of them. In this regard, getting a Grill stateroom is a big advantage because of the Grill deck and lounge.

We could enjoy some of the musical performances. We would quietly slip in the back of the theatre after the show started; the children would enjoy it for about 20 minutes, but then lose interest, at which point we would sneak out to get them into bed.

Again, it's a different experience from cruising without children, but it's what one makes of it.

Hello,

Thank you!

Hi chandon, It looks like AGAMMA had the right idea on going in the dinning area when it was quiet. I think it depends on how well behaved your daughter is.

I remember when my son was young he would not sit long enough for the meal to be finished. He wasn't bothered but I was mortified that he just wanted to run around.

You know what your daughter is like, there is always ways to get around things.

What ever you decide have a great time.

Catherine

I say go for it! The world contains children and if others don't like it, tell them to rent their own charter yacht and then they can dictate who comes and goes!:)

Guess you are not from the "seen and not heard" upbringing as I was. But that is what makes the world go round a bunch of very different folk. Still, In the guise of politness and fairness to all, I think the OP has received numerous excellent suggestions on how to both enjoy the cruise without either neglecting themselves, their child nor getting in the comfort zone of others who have also paid for their vacation and expect certain things to happen and not happen.

I say go for it! The world contains children and if others don't like it, tell them to rent their own charter yacht and then they can dictate who comes and goes!:)

SeaMates, I agree. Unfortunately, it would seem that there are those who book passage on a ship and consider it their own chartered yacht.

Young, old, and in-between, we can all enjoy the voyage. Mutual respect and common courtesy while following ship's code and the Captain's orders...that is all it takes, is it not?:)

Cheers,

Salacia

SeaMates, I agree. Unfortunately, it would seem that there are those who book passage on a ship and consider it their own chartered yacht.

Young, old, and in-between, we can all enjoy the voyage. Mutual respect and common courtesy while following ship's code and the Captain's orders...that is all it takes, is it not?:)

Cheers,

Salacia

How many 18-month olds are capable of common courtesy and mutual respect?!

At that age children want to explore, express their emotions, and all the things that go with that age, and they should be allowed to do so - forcing them to behave in a way that isn't natural to them is unfair on them. The two parents who have posted about their experiences in this thread, how they recognised that they needed to take the child and other guests into account and have stated the compromises they had to make, and any considerate parent would have to take these into account - do the compromises make it worth me purchasing this type of cabin etc?

The whole argument that you've paid your money so do what you like, it's not a personal yacht is fallacious - I defy anyone to say they would happily spend every meal sat next to a screaming child night after night. From what I have read it is clear that none of the posters on here would behave in this way, but let us not pretend that these parents and children do not exist who would ignore the aggrevation caused to others as long as they (the parents) were having a good time.

How many 18-month olds are capable of common courtesy and mutual respect?!

At that age children want to explore, express their emotions, and all the things that go with that age, and they should be allowed to do so - forcing them to behave in a way that isn't natural to them is unfair on them. The two parents who have posted about their experiences in this thread, how they recognised that they needed to take the child and other guests into account and have stated the compromises they had to make, and any considerate parent would have to take these into account - do the compromises make it worth me purchasing this type of cabin etc?

The whole argument that you've paid your money so do what you like, it's not a personal yacht is fallacious - I defy anyone to say they would happily spend every meal sat next to a screaming child night after night. From what I have read it is clear that none of the posters on here would behave in this way, but let us not pretend that these parents and children do not exist who would ignore the aggrevation caused to others as long as they (the parents) were having a good time.

More than one exaggeration in your post I believe. No one made the argument that "you've paid your money so do what you like". Ship's rules must be followed, no matter how much you pay or how old you are. Screaming night after night in the dinning room would not be tolerated from either an 18 month or 81 year old.

Obviously, one must be capable of understanding the concepts of common courtesy and mutal respect. It goes without saying that an 18 month old child is not capable of grasping those concepts. Clearly, it is the responsiblity of the child's guardian/s to be responsible for any child under the age of 18 and I believe ship's rules are clear on that point.

Regards,

Salacia

There was a 12 month old in the QG on the World Cruise of QE2 in 2006, and the child behaved perfectly. I was sitting at an adjacent table, and the child made hardly a sound and sat up very nicely in the high chair and ate its food. I understand that the child was in a separate cabin with a nanny. The child was travelling with its grandparents while the mother and father ran the company business back home in France. I doubt that anyone in QG could have objected to such a child.

Regards,

Louise

Last December on the QV, there was a young couple with a 14 month old who dined together in the Queens Grill every night. The baby was well behaved and caused no problems whatsoever.

One evening, the baby started to cry and the father quickly finished his meal and whisked the baby away.

It's like everything else, consideration for others all round, and that includes the staff.

The very fact that the OP has raised the issue, in itself, shows consideration and I would have no hesitation in recommending that you bring the toddler along with you and dine together. Probably best at your own table for 4.

Have a good trip.

Stewart

More than one exaggeration in your post I believe. No one made the argument that "you've paid your money so do what you like". Ship's rules must be followed, no matter how much you pay or how old you are. Screaming night after night in the dinning room would not be tolerated from either an 18 month or 81 year old.

Obviously, one must be capable of understanding the concepts of common courtesy and mutal respect. It goes without saying that an 18 month old child is not capable of grasping those concepts. Clearly, it is the responsiblity of the child's guardian/s to be responsible for any child under the age of 18 and I believe ship's rules are clear on that point.

Regards,

Salacia

I don't see anything I have said as an exaggeration - posts five and eleven are very much along the lines of this by my interpretation of them. Possibly facetious about the 18 month old concept of right and wrong ;) but even then I was trying to make a point - parents must take responsibility and do what is right, and the sad fact is that there are some parents who don't.

That is why it is important to recognise that there may need to be compromise - I'm sure the father who whisked his young one off as soon as they started crying would far rather have stayed and eaten his dinner, but he recognised he had a responsibility and took on that responsibility - the same as the other posters with children on this thread and, I'm sure, the OP. This then affects decisions because it is not a simple case of 'doing x' because there needs to be a y and z back-up plan (I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here, but it is amazing how many people don't have a back-up plan!).

I know that I have come across parents from hell (I'm not going to say children from hell because it isn't their fault, they are just being children)

who have let their children run riot, bang on the table with the cutlery non-stop for 20 minutes (seemed like three hours!), throw food at other guests, and then they get abusive when people complain! (Not on a Cunard ship, I hasten to add!).

then i would hope he would be removed or banned from the line

How did smoke come into this conversation?:confused:

Firstly, I would hope that the child were not taken to the smoking sections of the ship, what is left of the areas anyway, and secondly, in this day and age if someone were to do that , they would probably be arrested. There are places around here where it is illegal to smoke anywhere in the company of a child--never mind blowing smoke in the child's face.

Calm down everyone. I do believe that the coment about the smoke in the face was a reaction to the previous post that essentially said Paraphrase - It's my vacation and I will do what I want where I want, When I want".

Nothing sets more teeth on edge than that type of comment. So let's all move on here. The OP has not been back but has considerable advice on how to or not to proceed for the voyage. I am sure they will have a wonderful time and so shall all who travel alongside in front of and behind them.

I agree that baby Chandon has the right to be where ever the parents choose to take her. That said, we have had enough bad experiences with toddlers in the diningroom that I would simply opt to come back later.

My choice and my privledge. :)

I think it is all about how well the parents and child(ren) interact.

If mom and dad are calm, relaxed, enjoying their time (ie not anxious about dining in public with a little one) etc then the child is also generally at ease. Mom and dad also know when to draw the line if the dinner out becomes too much and the little one is squirmy and needs to bid everyone adieu for the evening.

Give them a chance. :) And if the little one screams for the entire QG dinner, then yes, you can complain. :D

Archived