FLL-Good seafood restaurant near Hyatt Place Airport N or water taxi route

Aprille

DH and I will be traveling with my elderly parents. We'll spend 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hyatt Place Airport North (Ft Lauderdale) and our one full day doing the water taxi.

In Feb 2009 DH and I ate at Rustic Inn Crabhouse and it was SO YUMMY! I'd like to go back but DH is still PO'd that the round-trip cab fare costed as much as the meal. :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for a good seafood restaurant either near the hotel (short cab ride okay) or a short walk from one of the water taxi stops? I'm especially looking for a place serving fresh crab.

DH and I will be traveling with my elderly parents. We'll spend 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hyatt Place Airport North and our one full day doing the water taxi.

In Feb 2009 DH and I ate at Rustic Inn Crabhouse and it was SO YUMMY! I'd like to go back but DH is still PO'd that the round-trip cab fare costed as much as the meal. :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for a good seafood restaurant either near the hotel (short cab ride okay) or a short walk from one of the water taxi stops? I'm especially looking for a place serving fresh crab.

Ask the Water Taxi pilots if they have any restaurant recommendations and sometimes they will give you a coupon for a free appetizer. I still have one from Charlie's Crab Shack I've never used.

Water Taxi Discounts...

http://www.watertaxi.com/cruisendine.htm

Ask the Water Taxi pilots if they have any restaurant recommendations and sometimes they will give you a coupon for a free appetizer. I still have one from Charlie's Crab Shack I've never used.

Water Taxi Discounts...

http://www.watertaxi.com/cruisendine.htm

Thanks, Music City. I appreciate the input. I've done internet researches (including the above link) until I'm cross-eyed. I'm hoping for some personal recommendations by someone who has actually eaten somewhere nearby.

If you were at the Hyatt Place - where would one get the water taxi? Thanks, Jan

Hyatt Place has a free shuttle that will take you to the water taxi stop mentioned by aarep above (or anywhere else within reason based upon availability). They will also pick you up when you phone them you are ready (again, based on availability, meaning you may have to wait a bit).

Edited to add: It's actually walkable. We did it in Feb 2009. It's a pretty good hike (about a mile?) but it's definitely not doable with an 88 and 80 year old. We will be taking advantage of the shuttle service. ;)

There are no other restaurants like Rustic Inn; I know of no other restaurants anywhere near the port that serve steamed blue crabs.

I would recommend Charley's Crab, which is on the water taxi route. They have king crab legs and Maryland crab cakes.

http://www.muer.com/pdf/menus/CC/CCFL_Dinner.pdf

You can also get crab legs at 15th St Fisheries

http://www.15streetfisheries.com/index.html

and crab cakes at Coconuts.

http://www.coconutsfortlauderdale.com/menu.htm

These are all on the water taxi route.

15th Street Fisheries is good, but do Dockside as the dining room is very expensive (although good).

Why travel to Florida to eat a Maryland crab? Try some local favorites, conch fritters, stone crabs, grouper and snapper.

You'll need to taxi but there's nothing like the famous "Joe's Stone Crabs". Step back into the 1940's & enjoy the blue claw crabs. Believe it or not, I am allergic to shell fish but I go along with our friends just to enjoy the atmosphere.

You'll need to taxi but there's nothing like the famous "Joe's Stone Crabs". Step back into the 1940's & enjoy the blue claw crabs. Believe it or not, I am allergic to shell fish but I go along with our friends just to enjoy the atmosphere.

Round trip cab fare from Fort Lauderdale to Joes and back would be close to $200.

15th Street Fisheries is good, but do Dockside as the dining room is very expensive (although good).

Why travel to Florida to eat a Maryland crab? Try some local favorites, conch fritters, stone crabs, grouper and snapper.

Most Blue Crab in Florida comes from the gulf.

I am a big fan of Charleys Crab but I've never seen the water taxi actually stop there. Is it a stop? I've seen it go by but there are usually a couple of big boats tied up outside the restaurant.

This stop is listed on the website map as Taverna Opa/Shooter's/Charley's Crab.

Archived