Queen Elizabeth Profile View

Savoia

But, wouldn't "best" be the best ship that they could build at the time, to accomplish the purpose for which she was built? Did they do the best that they could? In that case, I'm not so sure.

Is there a better Panamax cruise ship design out there?

Sam Cunard would have ordered the 'proven' model - with very rare exceptions Cunard have not been innovators - wisely preferring to learn from other line's mistakes. Its probably why they are still in business...

...And if enough paying passengers like the experience on the different ships in his lines, (even if they are on the same platform) why should they have to pay more (or Carnival shareholders accept lower profits)?

Indeed. And I would be very very surprised indeed if the percentage of those paying passengers who know (or care) that QV is a Vista class achieves even half of one percent.

A point that often seems to be missed by the obsessive rivet counters and ship geeks is that people who travel on cruise ships are going on holiday - they couldn't care less who designed the damn ship; all they want to do is enjoy themselves.

J

Its probably why they are still in business...

Amen to that - and thank goodness they are still in business, otherwise those of us who actually travel on their ships, rather than simply criticising their design, would be denied the pleasure of doing so.

J

Or successful? Mr Arison is not rewarded for satisfying rivet counters, but by paying passengers. And if enough paying passengers like the experience on the different ships in his lines, (even if they are on the same platform) why should they have to pay more (or Carnival shareholders accept lower profits)?

No denying they don't work for Carnival. And the overuse of the design might be overlooked and not even brought up if Carnival did something to enhance the design per brand. It's not a question of being a shipgeek in my instance...its a question of how I want to spend my vacation time and money. The Vista is like a Sheraton..they're everywhere and decor wise they are not too far off from each other.

There is far too much shared for Carnival or any of its brands to be looked at as unique. So many unique brands to have them all watered down and looking alike..what a waste.

Or successful? Mr Arison is not rewarded for satisfying rivet counters, but by paying passengers. And if enough paying passengers like the experience on the different ships in his lines, (even if they are on the same platform) why should they have to pay more (or Carnival shareholders accept lower profits)?

I know Peter..why bother to raise the bar or be creative when making do works?

Arcadia:

Arcadia%20-%20The%20Atrium.jpg

Queen Victoria:

qvsculptureonboaa.jpeg

:rolleyes:

I'm sure it took Peter awhile to come up with that one...the hunting must have been relentless! Unfortunate the level of predictability in these 2 Carnival Cruise Lines funded interiors..its like my grandfather's Ford LTD..reliable and solid..but design wise one huge yawn carried over from one familyof design to the next. It seems Carnival can't even buy an original concept these days.

the hunting must have been relentless!

Hardly, since ARCADIA was originally going to be QUEEN VICTORIA.....but they changed their minds.....and came up with somewhat different ships for the two different lines.....as the old saying goes 'a beautiful elegant theory, crushed by one ugly fact'.....:rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, here are the identical dining rooms on

ARCADIA:

meridian_arc-200.jpg

and QUEEN VICTORIA:

600w-QueenVictoria-BritanniaRestaurant-18101.jpg

As you say, virtually interchangeable - no way of telling which is the Cunarder.....

And par for the course it looks like recycled leftovers from other carnival builds put together by Farcus. In the case of the Arcadia it looks like they did a little HAL..curved staircase with open balcony. Decorated differently for sure but hints of floor plans already done (must be cheaper to do). Britannia is hidious..one the single most disappointing looking rooms afloat...next to the Hilton like Grill Room decor.. cheap art, Farcus neon and hotel banquet room chairs.

For crying out loud Peter Cunardival can't tell the Queen Mary from the Titanic! Of course that's not indicative of anything wrong...at least Carol Marlow didn't make that mistake. but she did wear the same red blzaer to PR events which was annoying.

And while we're at it.....

QUEEN VICTORIA's Queen's Room:

14queensrm-tea2.jpg

Thank you, keep 'em coming, like two peas in a pod...

I notice that is a unusual picture of QV's Queens Room, no "stained" glass fitted and although laid for tea, many tables and chairs are missing. A Pre-delivery picture perhaps? Steward training?

But again, thank you for the comparison pictures, they will help "yet to book"/"first time cruisers" and people who haven't yet sailed on QV (or with Cunard) a chance to see how spendid she is.

Very best wishes,

And while we're at it.....

QUEEN VICTORIA's Queen's Room:

14queensrm-tea2.jpg

And the 'identical' room on ARCADIA, 'The Globe':

Arcadia3_D2_Globe_igb-20050410-01.jpg

In this instance the light fixtures from Icky are the same ones from Princess..leftovers no doubt from OTHER P&O designed ships.

Really? Must have turned the chandelier off in the ARCADIA 'Globe'.....

The main lobby of the Grand Series ships for Princess have a very similar if not exactly the same light fixtures.

At least Peter Cunardival isn't getting an Olympic class interior confused with today as they did with the recent Titanic'd Queen Mary.

I'll find the image where the light fixtures are the same!

Look forward to it.....

To save you time, its not the:

Ruby Princess:

1_atrium_ceiling4.jpg

Crown Princess:

a_crown_princess_atrium.jpg

Golden Princess:

AtriumVert.jpg

It certainly wasn't Eurodam:

2008CruiseNorway037%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

Or Ventura:

ventura1VIS_468x702.jpg

Let alone Azura:

azuraAtrium.jpg

But along with 'identical' Lobbies, Dining Rooms and on-board ambiance....I'm sure its out there somewhere.....

Look forward to it.....

Ruby Princess:

1_atrium_ceiling4.jpg

Crown Princess:

a_crown_princess_atrium.jpg

Golden Princess:

AtriumVert.jpg

It certainly wasn't Eurodam:

2008CruiseNorway037%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

Or Ventura:

ventura1VIS_468x702.jpg

Let alone Azura:

azuraAtrium.jpg

But along with 'identical' Lobbies, Dining Rooms and on-board ambiance....I'm sure its out there somewhere.....

I love how you throw Ventura in there..knowing full well Peter she was designed largely by an outside designer..but that would explain why you used it to make your point that is throughly out of bounds. Not acknowledging Azura took the strong parts of Ventura's designs as well..again not P&O designed..forgot to mention that.

Is it blind ignorance the heavy borrowing from Princess to Cunard on your part? I think so..same overall design elements used, same basic lamp design just finished differently..I wouldn't expect you to pick up on the details. It is amazing how the base of Princess lobbies have been modified ever so slightly to fit Cunardival. While carrying designs over is an age old tradition your denial that there is any similarity is alarming. HAL of course designed largely by their own selected firm and not by P&O which you are fully aware..but again recycles the same floor plans and elements a great deal from ship to ship.

If you are going to continue to defend Cunardival then make the arguement balanced Peter. Bending facts to justify your position isn't a strong arguement make.

Look forward to it.....

Ruby Princess:

1_atrium_ceiling4.jpg

Thank GAWD Peter you ID'd this slide in particular though as the Ruby Princess. All the stained glass, veneered walls, "Dynasty" arches and the grillwork one would think I was on the Queen Victoria!! So if this image is one you use against my arguement, take it down. You really think this is an original design all its own and NOT influenced or taken form QV?:D

And love how you avoid the fact Princess took their designs from Queen Vicotria and gave it to the Ruby Princess.

Still waiting.........?

Mind you, now we can see pictures of the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant on Queen Elizabeth:

article-0-0A073573000005DC-532_468x306.jpg

I'll save you the trouble of pointing out its exactly the same as on Carnival Dream:

Crimson_Restaurant_3129.JPG

......more or less......:rolleyes:

Still waiting.........?

Mind you, now we can see pictures of the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant on Queen Elizabeth:

article-0-0A073573000005DC-532_468x306.jpg

I'll save you the trouble of pointing out its exactly the same as on Carnival Dream:

Crimson_Restaurant_3129.JPG

......more or less......:rolleyes:

Same split staircase design...there is very little doubt there is a connection here. I am betting the construction material for the support structures and such are slightly less to produce in mass then a one off. Being Britannia it will have the same low quality Sheraton banquet room chairs..I am willing to bet Princess Cruises will duplicate other decorative elements from their ships as well for the Cunard brand.

I wonder what Cunard would have come up with on their own had they any say at all in how their ships looked? Another disappointing been there done that design again.

Archived