Queen Elizabeth Profile View

Savoia

What, exactly, does that mean? I didn't understand it when I first heard it 30 years ago.....and I don't understand it now.....(old day job was marketing at P&G...)

If I remember from an old marketing class, "creativity" is synonymous with "making it up".:eek:

J.

What, exactly, does that mean? I didn't understand it when I first heard it 30 years ago.....and I don't understand it now.....(old day job was marketing at P&G...)

If you don't get it now..then P&G certainly wasn't a good fit for you then:D

Someday..P&O/Princess might get enough financing out of Carnival to do something different and exciting with Cunard..even if it is bringing in a British designer to do a room or two! But that would cost a little bit more than the Ramada Hotel interiors do though. Until someone stands up to Mr. Arison and demonstrates spending can actuallybe a good idea..mediochrity will rule throught out Carnival.

Yep, virtually identical. For example, here's the 'cookie cutter' lobby on each...:rolleyes:

Now that is a comparision I would expect out of someone who feels P&O/Princess do no wrong with Cunard.

Why not compare a princess ship to Queen Victoria? After all, many passenegers who have enjoyed Queen Victoria are the same ones who say the ship is "Very Princess"..

As we get more and more of these one-size-fits-all Vistas it is abundantly clear Mr. Arison couldn't BUY a good idea these days.

• 2 weeks later...

At Cunard's website you must choose the Queen Elizabeth deckplans and during the page is loading you will see the profile of the ship. It looks good - a bit different from Queen Victoria - very similar to Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam and Costa Luminosa/Deliziosa!!! :D

At Cunard's website you must choose the Queen Elizabeth deckplans and during the page is loading you will see the profile of the ship. It looks good - a bit different from Queen Victoria - very similar to Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam and Costa Luminosa/Deliziosa!!! :D

qeoutline.png

qvoutline.png

.... you must choose the Queen Elizabeth deckplans ......... very similar to Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam and Costa Luminosa/Deliziosa!!! :D

A question to QV and future QE guests: Is it possible to walk all the way round on deck #3, like on the older Vistas of HAL (Wester/Ooster/Zuider/Noordam) and on QM2? As far as the deckplan shows us it should be possible.

Thank you for the update.

Is QE an ocean liner? Cunard is calling her "our newest luxury ocean liner".

Reference: Copied from http://www.cunard.com/en-gb/Ships/Queen-Elizabeth/

"Autumn 2010 will further enhance Cunard’s illustrious reputation for exquisite ocean travel with the arrival of our newest luxury ocean liner, Queen Elizabeth..."

Hi Salacia

No. Marketing Hype. She's a cruise ship with liner pretensions.

Only one Liner out there... QM2.

QE's sister, QV is a VERY good cruise ship, and I liked her more than I expected I would. But they are both cruise ships.

Of course, many will point out that when QV/QE cross the Atlantic they are liners (undertaking a "line" voyage) just as QM2 is a cruise ship when in the Caribbean (as was QE2 before her).

But Cunard are trying the old trick of repeating something often enough until they believe their own publicity...

Hi Salacia

No. Marketing Hype. She's a cruise ship with liner pretensions.

Only one Liner out there... QM2.

QE's sister, QV is a VERY good cruise ship, and I liked her more than I expected I would. But they are both cruise ships.

Of course, many will point out that when QV/QE cross the Atlantic they are liners (undertaking a "line" voyage) just as QM2 is a cruise ship when in the Caribbean (as was QE2 before her).

But Cunard are trying the old trick of repeating something often enough until they believe their own publicity...

Hi Pepperrn. Yes, from what I read QM2 is currently the only ocean liner, so I found it somewhat confusing that Cunard would call QE a liner. Thanks for your clarification about "line voyage" vs "cruise".

I've taken several cruises on QM2, but -to me, at least- she is always and forever an ocean liner. As to Cunard's attempt at blurring the distinctions between a liner and a cruise ship: silly marketing (or words to that effect).:)

Cheers,

Salacia

Isn't it a matter of function that defines the ocean liner versus the cruise ship?

Hi The Real PM

You are right of course. In the opinion of many, any ship making a “line voyage” is a liner regardless of "type" of ship.

In simple terms, it can be said that a Liner returns to its point of origin with a largely new set of passengers (or cargo) whereas a Cruise Ship will generally come back to its starting point with the same passengers who set out on the voyage.

So most ferries are liners... (hence “Atlantic Ferry”). Except that, in most cases, we can see the differences between a ferry and a liner.

Or does a ship that is very obviously a “fun” cruise ship, unsuited to making a crossing of say, the Atlantic, in all weathers but which undertakes a re-positioning voyage, does it suddenly becomes a liner for 8 days?

Or when the Normandie or the Queen Elizabeth made their voyages to the sun did they stop being liners and become cruise ships? Or were they still liners playing at being cruise ships?

To my eyes, whether crossing or cruising, QM2 (like QE2 before her), is a Liner. She may go cruising for part of the year but she is not a cruise ship (however, the liner France became the cruise ship Norway!). There are many clues that serve to set her apart from QV/QE and all cruise ships. The narrow forward hull form is designed to cut through the water rather than push it out of the way. The extra strength in design and thicker steel plates of the bow. The long foredeck before the superstructure, rather than a short stubby “pointy bit” stuck on the front of the hotel box. The fact that QM2 has a cargo hatch and cranes rather than a “crew pool” on that foredeck, as many cruise ships have. Being able to cross any ocean in almost any weather and, if slowed by a storm, having massive reserves of power and speed (30kts) to make up time (last year Oasis of the Seas was very late making her maiden arrival after running into a storm). The position of the lifeboats, uniquely high compared with cruise ships (SOLAS regulations regarding their height above the water was relaxed for her once it was realised the damage that could be done to them in an Atlantic storm). Several other differences.

On one voyage out of New York on QM2 we passed a cruise ship that had left 6 hours ahead of us. QM2 arrived in Tortola more than half a day ahead of this ship which I noted, as we over-took her, was bobbing along in the ocean swell, bows rising and falling. There was no pitching or rolling on QM2. So, although we were taking a cruise, we were doing so on a Liner! QM2 is a Liner, QV/QE are not, IMHO.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, very best wishes to you, great to read your mail.

qeoutline.png

qvoutline.png

Thank you for the interesting photos of both ships, yes there are differences, .

I thought I had read that the QE would have a walkway right the way around the ship, unlike the QV.

We have already booked two weeks to the Baltics on the QE and looking forward to it very much, QV is grand, but we both like the art deco look of the QE more.

QM2 (like QE2 before her), is a Liner.

As the old saying goes....'I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that'....

Both QE2 and QM2 were build as express liner/cruise ship hybrids. Hence the provision of things superfluous to a 'true' express liner - like outdoor swimming pools - and taking care that the draft was not to great (like the original Queens) to rule out too many cruise ports - a 'true' liner would only worry about the depth below the keel at her termini.....

All ships are compromises - in QE2/QM2's case when it came to a compromise between 'express liner' and 'cruise ship' - the express liner won.

QV and QE are undoubtedly built as 'cruise ships' - there are minimal 'liner' compromises - allegedly 'more steel in the bow' - but that's about it.

But that's the 'rivet counter' argument. If you want a 'liner-like' experience - then QV and QE are almost certainly your best bets on the seas......along with QM2.....

And if QM2 sank tomorrow could Cunard press QV/QE into a 'weekly ferry' service? During the summer possibly.....given today's 11 hour turnarounds....

Thank you for the interesting photos of both ships, yes there are differences, .

I thought I had read that the QE would have a walkway right the way around the ship, unlike the QV.

We have already booked two weeks to the Baltics on the QE and looking forward to it very much, QV is grand, but we both like the art deco look of the QE more.

I like QE more than QV --> for exactly looks just visit http://www.shipspotting.com and than search "Queen Elizabeth". There you'll find good pics =)

Which Baltic cruise have you chosen (date?)

I consider the North cape cruise the jul 15, 2011 on QE :)

A question to QV and future QE guests: Is it possible to walk all the way round on deck #3, like on the older Vistas of HAL (Wester/Ooster/Zuider/Noordam) and on QM2? As far as the deckplan shows us it should be possible.

Thank you for the update.

I think you could do this according to the deckplans. Of course there's a promenade deck under the lifeboats.

Yes the ship is similar to Eurodam, Costa Luminosa and Deliziosa so it might be like on these ships...

As the old saying goes....'I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that'....

Both QE2 and QM2 were build as express liner/cruise ship hybrids. Hence the provision of things superfluous to a 'true' express liner - like outdoor swimming pools - and taking care that the draft was not to great (like the original Queens) to rule out too many cruise ports - a 'true' liner would only worry about the depth below the keel at her termini.....

All ships are compromises - in QE2/QM2's case when it came to a compromise between 'express liner' and 'cruise ship' - the express liner won.

QV and QE are undoubtedly built as 'cruise ships' - there are minimal 'liner' compromises - allegedly 'more steel in the bow' - but that's about it.

But that's the 'rivet counter' argument. If you want a 'liner-like' experience - then QV and QE are almost certainly your best bets on the seas......along with QM2.....

And if QM2 sank tomorrow could Cunard press QV/QE into a 'weekly ferry' service? During the summer possibly.....given today's 11 hour turnarounds....

So then, you are saying that I am half right--or maybe a quarter right, anyway?:) And that both the QV and QE have enough in the way of steel in the bow so that they may qualify --at least on a stretch--as an ocean liner. What about the old ships, like the Britanis, my first cruise? It began as the SS Monterey I believe. Would that have been considered an ocean liner?

I like QE more than QV --> for exactly looks just visit www.shipspotting.com and than search "Queen Elizabeth". There you'll find good pics =)

Which Baltic cruise have you chosen (date?)

I consider the North cape cruise the jul 15, 2011 on QE :)

Yes, we are looking forward to it, aygust 2011 for the baltics, 14 days

So then, you are saying that I am half right

I am saying that what is 'right' rather depends on 'definitions' which are always contested.

QV/QE are not (today) express liners. 100 (more or less) years ago they would have been by a very wide margin the most comfortable way to cross the Atlantic - their competition would have carried two times as many people in about a third of the space...

So whether they are 'liners' or 'cruise ships' they are probably among the best five Cunard have ever put to sea...and easily among the fastest dozen...

I am saying that what is 'right' rather depends on 'definitions' which are always contested.

QV/QE are not (today) express liners. 100 (more or less) years ago they would have been by a very wide margin the most comfortable way to cross the Atlantic - their competition would have carried two times as many people in about a third of the space...

So whether they are 'liners' or 'cruise ships' they are probably among the best five Cunard have ever put to sea...and easily among the fastest dozen...

The Vista does indeed have some redeeming qualities..but vastly over-used and over tweaked by the various brands within Carnival. Staying within the here and now we have so many Vistas, designed and operated by high profile operators the look has become much like the Oldsmobile by GM..a big yawn.

It's not like Mr. Arison doesn't have the resources to take the next design step. The Vista is lazy..the quickest means to an end which is evident with the sheer number of them we have sailing under different brands. Something like the Epic might be ugly..but more intriguing than anything Carnival has produced in a long time.

If your criteria for "best" is passenger/space ratio and passenger amenities, I'm sure you're on to something.

But, wouldn't "best" be the best ship that they could build at the time, to accomplish the purpose for which she was built? Did they do the best that they could? In that case, I'm not so sure.

As you know, I agree with you that QV provides a fine way to cross, but I can't say that I believe that the end product is as good as it could have been.

I would be like to know the other three on your list. ;)

The Vista is lazy..

Or successful? Mr Arison is not rewarded for satisfying rivet counters, but by paying passengers. And if enough paying passengers like the experience on the different ships in his lines, (even if they are on the same platform) why should they have to pay more (or Carnival shareholders accept lower profits)?

Archived