Queen Elizabeth Profile View

Savoia

I wonder what Cunard would have come up with on their own had they any say at all in how their ships looked? Another disappointing been there done that design again.

I have a feeling probably something similar to the QM2- rooms located in odd places all over the vessel... not in their traditional locations on most ships.

Same split staircase design...

Really? Carnival Dream's is in the middle of the dining room, not at the entrance, it does not have a raised platform where both descents meet, unlike both Queen Elizabeth and QM2......Of course, if you'd actually been on QM2, you might have realised that if anything, Queen Elizabeth's staircase has much more in common with QM2's:

queen-mary-0908-9_lg-49546509.jpg

But since one was built in France, the other built in Italy I doubt

the construction material for the support structures and such are slightly less to produce in mass then a one off.
has anything to do with it......

Now where's that 'identical light fitting' you were going to post a photo of.....we're still waiting.....

I doubt has anything to do with it.......

Peter, you are so bias it is unbelievable..and these sweeping generalizations you make as fact proves you simply can't or won't see beyond the surface.

With the light fixture the layered chandolier one sees on Cunard and Princess is the same design! It is designed so one can have 2,3 or even 4 layers to the fixture. The only difference is the type of plastic and glass used in the fixture. And I know Peter, you'll go off and say these look nothing alike, again according to you.

What is SO unbelieveable and proves your level of denial is the Ruby Princess Peter...all Princess did was carry over Queen Victoria designs and tweeked them somewhat..but I suppose you can't see that either.

Then again Peter you're the one who compared the design "victory" the Icky is to the design mishaps of the Normandie...which caused more than a couple of people to laugh in liner circles.

Really? Carnival Dream's is in the middle of the dining room, not at the entrance, it does not have a raised platform where both descents meet, unlike both Queen Elizabeth and QM2......Of course, if you'd actually been on QM2, you might have realised that if anything, Queen Elizabeth's staircase has much more in common with QM2's:

queen-mary-0908-9_lg-49546509.jpg

But since one was built in France, the other built in Italy I doubt has anything to do with it......

Now where's that 'identical light fitting' you were going to post a photo of.....we're still waiting.....

What a great photo this is. Never noticed how stunning the Britannia restaurtant looks from different angles.

We were seated near the glass balcony on the right. We could look down onto the Captain's table from there.

Catherine

What I still can't see is the 'identical light fitting' you were going to post a picture of - don't be coy......

Peter..you have already posted the multi layered lighting fixture used on Cunard and Princess..and all the different versions of it. What it comes down to is stubborness and wishful thinking on your part that for some reason you think Cunard is immune from Carnival's uniformity of operation and design. Ignorant bliss....

Wow! with little modification you have a Vista's Queen whatever lobby here! I'll find the image where the light fixtures are the same!

You know Savoia, I too would very much like to see the "image where the light fixtures are the same"...as you say in this previous post.

All I've been seeing here is you spouting your same anti Cunard rhetoric, yet when asked to substantiate a specific comment you made ( see above) you dance around with yet more rhetoric saying nothing.

So then, we have a saying over here in the colonies..."Put your money where your mouth is"...in short, let's see the identical light fixture you rave about. Seems pretty simple to me...you're the one who offered in the first place to show it to all of us who are reading this thread.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

So, to clarify - 'crystal' is identical to 'stained glass'?

No wonder you see so many similarities!

Thank you for proving my point...the structure is the same, just finished differently on their ships.

Talk about over looking the obvious..then again it was probably intentional!

I'm surprised you included the ruby Princess in your image comaprisions though...it is shocking how much queen Victoria was used on that ship..."Dynasty" arches, stained glass and more!

How about we settle this once and for all, it's obvious us Cunard cheerleaders could care less if the designs are borrowed from whoever... the fact is that there would be NO Cunard without Carnival, so who really cares? Honestly? The line is growing again, something it hadn't truly done in decades prior to the Carnival takeover.

Thank you for proving my point...the structure is the same, just finished differently on their ships.

Thank you for proving mine! So you really think the Ruby Princess dome is identical to the Queen Victoria Crystal chandelier!

Any time you see something remotely similar, be it in the shape of a chandelier, or a split staircase you scream 'Cunardival pastiche' with minimal thought or analysis.

The structure of a Crystal chandelier (many wires holding individual crystals) is VERY different from a surface covered stained glass one.....but you probably knew that......

.... as I wrote before, 'a beautiful elegant theory (Cunardival pastiche) killed by one ugly fact.' And a lot more than one.....

Do please post photos which support your theory - I'd love to see them (and simple re-use of common materials does not really count - the use of stained glass hardly makes Queen Victoria or Ruby Princess copies of Notre Dame or St Paul's Cathedral......)

Being a Cruise Critic member without the expert knowledge of matters being thrashed out here, I always thought that "pastiche" was something that you could order in the Cafe Carinthia.

But thanks to this thread, I have now looked it up and found out what it really means. It means trying to copy something and my dictionary gives the example of Disney Cruise ships looking something like Cunard liners.

Being a Cruise Critic member without the expert knowledge of matters being thrashed out here, I always thought that "pastiche" was something that you could order in the Cafe Carinthia.

But thanks to this thread, I have now looked it up and found out what it really means. It means trying to copy something and my dictionary gives the example of Disney Cruise ships looking something like Cunard liners.

Excellent point. Actually, IMHO, Disney's ships look MUCH better (exterior) than Cunards's hotel barges.:D

Excellent point. Actually, IMHO, Disney's ships look MUCH better (exterior) than Cunards's hotel barges.:D

OK - I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about ships, other than the fact that they float.

But it seems to me that current market forces demand balconies and I completely fail to see how it is possible to provide balconies at an acceptable ratio to inside or ocean view cabins, without ending up with a ship that ends up being excoriated for looking like a block of flats. Are we seriously being asked to return to the days when the majority of passengers were accommodated in a broom cupboard with shared toilet and washing facilities at the end of the corridor simply to assuage the aesthetic sensibilities of a tiny minority of liner geeks and other rivet counters. I don't think so.

Personally I am entirely happy with the external appearance of Queen Victoria - I can see nothing wrong with it whatsoever. She is a product of her age every bit as much as were Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary. Now bring on QEToo so that I can try that one as well. Let's hear it for Vistas - a first class design and long may they reign.

J

PS - the Disney ships aren't just pastiche - they are kitsch pastiche!

I am simply a troglodyte. (a kitsch-y one). I prefer ships to look like ships. Ok, like ships used to look. I know there is not going to be a new version of Vistafijord or Normandie but how about the Seabourn Odyssey? It has balconies and still manages a fairly pleasant profile. Any 3 year old can stack Legos.:eek:

I am simply a troglodyte. (a kitsch-y one). I prefer ships to look like ships. Ok, like ships used to look. I know there is not going to be a new version of Vistafijord or Normandie but how about the Seabourn Odyssey? It has balconies and still manages a fairly pleasant profile. Any 3 year old can stack Legos.:eek:

ROFLMAO. Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to differ then. Personally I think Odyssey is utterly hideous. Looks like the 3 year old forgot about half the Lego. I'll stick to QV and QEToo thanks.

:D:D:D

J

ROFLMAO. Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to differ then. Personally I think Odyssey is utterly hideous. Looks like the 3 year old forgot about half the Lego. I'll stick to QV and QEToo thanks.

:D:D:D

J

I guess that is why they make so many different types of interiors. You are right about the rather large bite taken out of Odyssey's upper works. Maybe one day, some future cruise line will get it really right and please all of us.:eek: That day will probably involve the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.:D:D

I guess that is why they make so many different types of interiors. You are right about the rather large bite taken out of Odyssey's upper works. Maybe one day, some future cruise line will get it really right and please all of us.:eek: That day will probably involve the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.:D:D

Yeah, I think you have a point there about Santa and the Tooth Fairy. But, seriously, I think that, time and time again, we have seen two main points emerge from these discussions:

First: the designers are trying to please the maximum number of people who are prepared to shell out their hard earned folding stuff to travel on their ships and, if that means giving them balconies, then balconies they will have.

Second: the external view of the ship is almost completely irrlevant to the vast majority of paying passengers.

J

You are right on the money with most people not caring what the exterior looks like. That's how, down here, they can get people to rent pontoon boats with huge "RENT ME" signs on the sides.:eek: Fun when you are on board and the best news is when you are on board, you don't have to look at you.:D Now if we could just get Guernseyguy and Savoia on the same page.:D

J.

Now if we could just get Guernseyguy and Savoia on the same page.:D

J.

When that happens, I think you might just find Richard Dawkins taking holy orders and writing a three volume meister werk on the merits of Creationism.

:cool:

J

When that happens, I think you might just find Richard Dawkins taking holy orders and writing a three volume meister werk on the merits of Creationism.

Can I be (an un-recostructed) Richard Dawkins......which I guess leaves Savoia either the Pope.....or Mickey Arison......actually, it could only be the Pope....Mickey Arison actually sails on ships......

Archived