Queen Elizabeth Profile View

Savoia

Here is a link to a recent profile image of the new Queen Elizabeth fitting out:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1108745-Queen+Elizabeth

Shipspotting.com is a wonderful webpage..but this image is not encouraging. P&O took Holland America's directive and blocked off the stern to make this latest Vista very Eurodam. Making this poor Queen look very much like a building on a barge..which may well happen to the Victoria at some point. The Elizabeth and eventually the Victoria (I predict) will have greatly expanded open deck space but will certainly suffer in looks as a result. And that Norwegian Epic like build up atop her bridge that P&O added..not attractive at all.

Here is a link to a recent profile image of the new Queen Elizabeth fitting out:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo-1108745-Queen+Elizabeth

Shipspotting.com is a wonderful webpage..but this image is not encouraging. P&O took Holland America's directive and blocked off the stern to make this latest Vista very Eurodam. Making this poor Queen look very much like a building on a barge..which may well happen to the Victoria at some point. The Elizabeth and eventually the Victoria (I predict) will have greatly expanded open deck space but will certainly suffer in looks as a result. And that Norwegian Epic like build up atop her bridge that P&O added..not attractive at all.

OMG - what is that damn funnel with all the stripes for?

J

I particulary like to very tall candy striped smoke stack to the aft of the ship. Oh well they don't build cars like they used to either. We will just have to enjoy the QM2 while she is with us. I remember when she first came round the bend how unlike a real ship she looked then. Now she is one of the last of the "real" ships afloat.

not attractive at all.

Ah.....but for those of us who have been onboard what really matters is how the two new Queens are inside! And Queen Victoria has had many more favourable reviews from passengers than QM2 did in early service.

I expect Queen Elizabeth's passengers will enjoy the extra deck space the built-out stern provides - and may also enjoy the games area above the bridge. And that's what really counts.....what the paying passenger thinks....

I guess the new Queen Elizabeth is not exactly a BEAUTY QUEEN :eek: Thankfully they built the QM2 6 years ago and that the QM2 can still be considered to be a new ship.Cunard did build the QM2 to have a service life of 40 years and maybe the service life can be extended to 45 to 50 years. Regards,Jerry

Ah.....but for those of us who have been onboard what really matters is how the two new Queens are inside! And Queen Victoria has had many more favourable reviews from passengers than QM2 did in early service.

I expect Queen Elizabeth's passengers will enjoy the extra deck space the built-out stern provides - and may also enjoy the games area above the bridge. And that's what really counts.....what the paying passenger thinks....

Quite. Although I'm wondering how much the poor stern occupants will miss the balconies from her sister.

Makes Victoria look lovely though.

But in all seriousness, if QE is half the ship QV is then Cunard will have done very well.

It is all in the crew, who when I was aboard were wonderful.

And Seabourn's Odyssey/Sojurn/??? have a rather nice profile, even with the balconies. They don't have to be designed like cheap flats on a barge but that does seem to be the trend. :eek:

The Seabourne 500 plus passenger yachts...from the same woman responsible for Cunard now being a brand of P&O/Princess.

its all rosey lensed for some...

I guess the new Queen Elizabeth is not exactly a BEAUTY QUEEN :eek: Thankfully they built the QM2 6 years ago and that the QM2 can still be considered to be a new ship.Cunard did build the QM2 to have a service life of 40 years and maybe the service life can be extended to 45 to 50 years. Regards,Jerry

OK - it may well be heresy to say it within the hallowed walls of this august forum but, personally, I don't find QM2 all that "beautiful" either. Impressive yes, but not beautiful in the classical sense. And I can well remember when she first entered service that the chorus of nay-sayers comparing her to a block of flats was so loud it could have drowned out the sound of her siren.

In any case I believe that comparisons between QM2 and the Vistas are invidious and misleading. They are different entities, built for different purposes. Many posters on this board make much of the fact that QM2 is a "transatlantic liner" - fair enough, so why then go on to compare her with the Vistas, which are purpose built cruise ships? As for the "block of flats" analogy - the market wants balconies so balconies they will have and it's just a leetle hard to see how these balconies could be provided without them making any ship look like a block of flats.

Also, although I have not the slightest doubt that he is correct, I would take issue with Savoia's oft repeated contention that Cunard ships are designed by P&O/Princess. I have just done a rapid "back of the envelope" type calculation which tells me that somewhere in the region of 50,000 people must travel every year on Queen Victoria (and presumably similar numbers will travel on Queen Elizabeth). I wonder what percentage of these passengers either know or care who designed the ship - my guess is that the percentage would be immeasurably small. As several people have stated, most passengers will find the interior appearance of the ship, and the service provided therein, a very great deal more important than the external appearance.

J

I don't find QM2 all that "beautiful" either. Impressive yes, but not beautiful in the classical sense.

Same here - from some angles she's 'handsome' - particularly from low down, to one side, of her bow - but side on, or from the stern, she's no beauty.

I know many love the looks of the first Queen Mary - but she too would be the 'handsome' daughter, while Normandie the 'pretty' one.....Queen Mary a hodge podge of deck houses, well deck, guy wires, ventilator cowls and so on..

....But despite Normandie's stunning looks, Queen Mary was year, after year, much more popular, carrying many more passengers across the Atlantic than Normandie....

....But despite Normandie's stunning looks, Queen Mary was year, after year, much more popular, carrying many more passengers across the Atlantic than Normandie....

I can remember as a kid, when both Queens were still in service, thinking how much I preferred Queen Elizabeth to Queen Mary. I think that, even to my naive eyes, the Queen Elizabeth with her two funnels looked much more modern than Queen Mary with three - and, at the time I'm talking about, modernity was still regarded as "a good thing". :)

However, because of the discussion on this thread, I had a look yesterday for images on the web that showed the two ships from roughly similar angles, and it's remarkable how similar they actually looked (if you could somehow ignore the number of funnels).

J

Wow!! Far far cry from QM2 elegant lines! I was afraid that she would look very much like Eurodam. Let's hope her insides are much nicer in contrast to her outside!

I was just looking through another ship enthusiasts web site in the Ship Alphabet section, where there is a picture of the Arcadia taken from the same angle after her stern was "enhanced".

The likeness is uncanny and just as ugly, but then Silver Spirit is ugly on the outside as well.

She is however beautifully fitted out with a hint of art deco by same coordinating architect who was Responsible the QV, Giacomo Mortola. He had the same role for the QV but with a different brief.

The interiors are anything but generic and goes to show that at the end of the

day, it's what's going on inside that matters to the paying punters not how

the ship looks....

ok the queen elizabeth becomes a "costa luminosa" with cunard funnel and cunard colours :D

Yep, virtually identical. For example, here's the 'cookie cutter' lobby on each:

Photo-45.jpg

And

Atrium%20Supernova.jpg

I would not have a clue which one was the Cunarder.....:rolleyes:

Yep, virtually identical. For example, here's the 'cookie cutter' lobby on each:

Photo-45.jpg

And

Atrium%20Supernova.jpg

I would not have a clue which one was the Cunarder.....:rolleyes:

Looks like P&O/Princess saved a little bit on the PR release, superimposing the QE mural on what is obvioulsy the QV's lobby press release from a couple of years ago, what a "Green" idea!

What P&O/Princess have shown is they believe more of the same is still a way to brand a product. It's like the concept of a Ritz or 4 Seasons...yesterday's news. Creativity is the new branding and Carnival has shown time and again that going that way is simply too expensive for them.

The QE mural has been superimposed on an artitist's impression of the QE lobby, not the QV lobby - albeit they're very similar.

QElandingHeadBanner.jpg

QVlandingHeadBanner.jpg

There is more than one lobby rendering for QV though...I suspect the changes were Photoshopped.

Archived