Just back from Explorer 9 day Bermuda and Bahamas

Interesting how you can lump all children together and you probably won't get many comments but if this comment was made about any other "group" there would be outrage.

I have seen many children onboard and yes sometimes there are a few bad apples but for the most part they have been pleasant and courteous, in stark contrast to some of the adults I have personally encountered.

While some adults are rude, run over feet with their mobilized wheel chairs, push others out of the way with their canes and walkers, it is hard to miss kids running through the decks, pushing every floor button the elevators, sitting on the steps and refusing to move, screaming while taking up the tables at the Promenade Cafe and leaving uneaten food and beverages behind for the staff to clean up, taking off "DO NOT DUSTURB" sign off cabins along with breakfast menu requests, sitting in the first row and talking throughout the shows or getting up and down without a parent in sight, using the adult pool/hot tubs, etc.

All it takes are a few "rotten apples" to blame those "dam.." kids since they are very visible and their bad behavior has a major impact for any passengers in their vicinity. Many passengers have left their own kids at home to enjoy a child free vacation only to have to endure the bad behavior (if only a few) of other parents' kids on board -- parents who don't care how badly their kids misbehave as long as they are nowhere near them doing it since they do not want to deal with their own kids. We've seen many parents just give their kids money to spend/soda cards, etc. just so they can be "kidless" during the voyage. These are very ones who will try to get alcoholic beverages claiming they are for their parents and tend to find other kindred souls to hang out with. Staff is reluctant to say anything since they do not want to deal with the wrath of the parents. Many times the kids have their own cabins and are given complete freedom of the ship by their parents.

MARAPRINCE

I can see the older demographic in mid-May on a longer cruise. We usually go during the summer and expect about 1000 kids onboard with their families. If you go during NJ schools break (early November) you'll also see a lot of kids as the ship goes out of Bayonne.

I've been on the Explorer 7 night during that week and the 9 night. The 7 night was loaded with kids!!! The 9 night was not but there were tons of walkers/wheel chairs. We are going on the 10 night next time and I expect an "older" demographic on that one as well.

I think RCCl purposely runs the longer cruise during that time to deter families with kids from booking. :(

~Connie

While some adults are rude, run over feet with their mobilized wheel chairs, push others out of the way with their canes and walkers, it is hard to miss kids running through the decks, pushing every floor button the elevators, sitting on the steps and refusing to move, screaming while taking up the tables at the Promenade Cafe and leaving uneaten food and beverages behind for the staff to clean up, taking off "DO NOT DUSTURB" sign off cabins along with breakfast menu requests, sitting in the first row and talking throughout the shows or getting up and down without a parent in sight, using the adult pool/hot tubs, etc.

All it takes are a few "rotten apples" to blame those "dam.." kids since they are very visible and their bad behavior has a major impact for any passengers in their vicinity. Many passengers have left their own kids at home to enjoy a child free vacation only to have to endure the bad behavior (if only a few) of other parents' kids on board -- parents who don't care how badly their kids misbehave as long as they are nowhere near them doing it since they do not want to deal with their own kids. We've seen many parents just give their kids money to spend/soda cards, etc. just so they can be "kidless" during the voyage. These are very ones who will try to get alcoholic beverages claiming they are for their parents and tend to find other kindred souls to hang out with. Staff is reluctant to say anything since they do not want to deal with the wrath of the parents. Many times the kids have their own cabins and are given complete freedom of the ship by their parents.

MARAPRINCE

Well I see you agree it's "some" not "all" I was just making the observation that we shouldn't lump people together based on the actions of a few. It that were the case, I'd really dislike 60yos because those are the ones who have been obnoxious on my last couple of cruises. Jaw-dropping obnoxious.

I'm going on the Explorer tomorrow and I don't really care if it is an older crowd or younger or if there are lots of children or none. Cruises are whatever you want them to be and worrying about who else is going to be on a perticular crise or not really doesn't matter to me. I've been on summer cruises with lots of children, Spring Break Cruises and some cruises with a much older people. We always have fun.

Bermuda is ok but 2 days there is overkill. Especially as one day is Sunday when EVERYTHING closes. Nice beach close to port called Snorkel Beach. Hamilton is ok but to be honest it was just a bit "so what".

I think you may have gotten your perceptions because you dock all the way over at The Dockyards instead of getting into Front Street in Hamilton.

DW and I were in Bermuda of the RCCL Nordic Prince in 1990 and are planning to return in 30 days on the HAL MS Veendam. We got to

dock directly in St Georges and Hamilton. (Veendam will tender into St. Georges)

Bermuda is one of the most beautiful and beautifully understated places in the world. Pink sand beaches with turquoise water all around. Didn't realize they rolled up the public beaches on Sundays. John Smith Bay, Elbow Beach, Horseshoe Bay and Hobson's Cove just to name a few.

Hamilton still has the influence of its English Colonial past. Traffic adheres to the keep to your left system. Sorry you didn't make it over to the Hamilton (Fairmont) Princess for high tea like in past eras gone by. You probably didn't get over to the botanical garden for a leisurely morning either. Don't forget seeing international financiers doing business formally dressed in their Bermuda shorts along with the formal Bermudian police.

Almost forgot, every Wednesday night from 6 to 9 there is a street fair along Front Street with music and all sorts of vendors.

Maybe you didn't get a chance to ride around on the pink bus system which will take you all over the islands for a 3 day pass at $28 per or a one day pass also. You would have appreciated the green hills and the multicolored houses with their roofs built to capture rainwater. Maybe you

would have gone past some of the Bermuda schools and see the kids all dressed up in their school uniforms.

I guess you don't play golf either as Bermuda has some of the finest golf courses in the world.

The Bermuda people are warm and friendly, they toot their horns at each other as they go by and since they enjoy the 3rd highest per-capita income in the world they leave you alone and don't pester you to buy things.

All in all, I guess you can tell that I really don't like Bermuda at all.

Next time slow down and make an effort to enjoy Bermuda the way it truly is. It's a nice change from a hustle and bustle, drink till you puke

cruise experience.

I think you may have gotten your perceptions because you dock all the way over at The Dockyards instead of getting into Front Street in Hamilton.

DW and I were in Bermuda of the RCCL Nordic Prince in 1990 and are planning to return in 30 days on the HAL MS Veendam. We got to

dock directly in St Georges and Hamilton. (Veendam will tender into St. Georges)

Bermuda is one of the most beautiful and beautifully understated places in the world. Pink sand beaches with turquoise water all around. Didn't realize they rolled up the public beaches on Sundays. John Smith Bay, Elbow Beach, Horseshoe Bay and Hobson's Cove just to name a few.

Hamilton still has the influence of its English Colonial past. Traffic adheres to the keep to your left system. Sorry you didn't make it over to the Hamilton (Fairmont) Princess for high tea like in past eras gone by. You probably didn't get over to the botanical garden for a leisurely morning either. Don't forget seeing international financiers doing business formally dressed in their Bermuda shorts along with the formal Bermudian police.

Almost forgot, every Wednesday night from 6 to 9 there is a street fair along Front Street with music and all sorts of vendors.

Maybe you didn't get a chance to ride around on the pink bus system which will take you all over the islands for a 3 day pass at $28 per or a one day pass also. You would have appreciated the green hills and the multicolored houses with their roofs built to capture rainwater. Maybe you

would have gone past some of the Bermuda schools and see the kids all dressed up in their school uniforms.

I guess you don't play golf either as Bermuda has some of the finest golf courses in the world.

The Bermuda people are warm and friendly, they toot their horns at each other as they go by and since they enjoy the 3rd highest per-capita income in the world they leave you alone and don't pester you to buy things.

All in all, I guess you can tell that I really don't like Bermuda at all.

Next time slow down and make an effort to enjoy Bermuda the way it truly is. It's a nice change from a hustle and bustle, drink till you puke

cruise experience.

Some of your guesses were spot on.

For what it's worth I have never puked through booze......I'm a professional drinker :D

I've been on the Explorer 7 night during that week and the 9 night. The 7 night was loaded with kids!!! The 9 night was not but there were tons of walkers/wheel chairs. We are going on the 10 night next time and I expect an "older" demographic on that one as well.

I think RCCl purposely runs the longer cruise during that time to deter families with kids from booking. :(

~Connie

As you say there were tons of Walkers, wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

I don't have a problem with this at all for the record just found the entertainment very sedate. No party atmosphere apart from the 70s parade in the Promenade.

Still had a lovely cruise and only just 30 minutes ago the wife and I were saying how we miss the MDR food and atmosphere.

We;ve been on the Explorer 3 times during the last week of Aug. and there have always been over 900 kids on board, most of whom are pretty well behaved. When kids are in school, that's when people have to travel.

Like loud noises onboard , like sanding and scraping going on. Plumbing pipes being replaced, Read on another thread that alot of things that should have been done during dry dock in January 2010 were not done and are now being done.

Just wondered if you saw or heard any of that. Also what deck were you on? Maybe it wasn't being done in your area of the ship.

yup.........

Archived