Mexican Riviera and Hurricane Season

MsSoCalCruiser

I've traveled there 30+ times and have NEVER encountered a hurricane. Next...

Then you are very lucky and if fact, I think you need to take a break from posting on this forum and go buy lottery tickets :p

Last two times we were down there we experienced a actual hurricane and then an insane strong storm coming down from LA.That said it won't stop us from going down, PV for two weeks in July then a cruise this fall .

Rain? Wind? A hurricane or 2? huhhh...nothing...after all, we spend 50 weeks a year in Oregon!

I always find it interesting when people post reviews and say something like "It rained almost everyday and ruined our cruise!"

Really? What's a little rain. Ha!

Our oldest daughter and her family are visiting right now from San Diego and people keep apologizing to them for the weather and saying it's never like this in June! I just think: well then you haven't lived here long!

Some people just attract bad weather. My husband and I had our resort wiped out by a hurricane 2 days after we booked a trip to it, booked a cruise and were chased around by the caribbean by the latest named tropical storm in 50 years, and were in the DR when the earthquake hit Haiti.

Maybe you should really just be worried if you are on the ship with us. LOL

I know people that have travelled tons during hurricane season and never had a day of rain. I know others that travelled during the dry season and had DAYS of rain.

Weather is a crapshoot. It isn't predictable until it is happening. Get trip insurance and live the adventure. :)

Wow! I have to ask....Where are you going to be in December?? :D

Wow! I have to ask....Where are you going to be in December?? :D

I am going to be in the Mexican Riviera Dec 12-19, so be prepared for a bumpy ride!;)

When we missed the second port on our cruise, we were pretty bummed. But then we had breakfast that a group that was missing a wedding. It put it all in perspective and we had an attitude change. Lots more time to enjoy the ship and all it has to offer.

Not worried about rain...

Just hope for safe fun sailing and great days in port.

i am expecting the humidity and hot weather. We made it through the Caribbean alright with water and sunblock and expect to do the same here!

16 days till we head to L. A. :D

I think a more accurate description would be that hurricanes are a little less frequent BUT a whole lot less severe overall. Its pretty rare that a resort area in the Mex Riv gets wiped out like a few do every year in the Caribbean. Mostly you get some rain and a little wind but very few direct hits as they tend to travel North west out to sea and the main surge misses the Mex Riv. It does happen but not that often. :D

I am going to be in the Mexican Riviera Dec 12-19, so be prepared for a bumpy ride!;)

When we missed the second port on our cruise, we were pretty bummed. But then we had breakfast that a group that was missing a wedding. It put it all in perspective and we had an attitude change. Lots more time to enjoy the ship and all it has to offer.

My cruise is before yours....Whew! I hope you have a great cruise. I'm also thinking about going on one in November. I hope the seas are calm then.

I think a more accurate description would be that hurricanes are a little less frequent BUT a whole lot less severe overall. Its pretty rare that a resort area in the Mex Riv gets wiped out like a few do every year in the Caribbean. Mostly you get some rain and a little wind but very few direct hits as they tend to travel North west out to sea and the main surge misses the Mex Riv. It does happen but not that often. :D

Well put, this is what I was trying to say but got slammed... thanks again.

Hurricane season is June thru November. The worst months are August and September. I think the best months to go are generally November thru April. Weather is good, early part of year is whale watching season, and its not hurricane season.

Just wanted to thank you for your reply. I noticed that you are going to be on the Mariner Halloween cruise, I'm also looking at that one. :D

"Lean into the wind, and don't spill your beer!"

Um.. spilling beer is not a good thing, especially during a hurricane. I slept through the whole thing (Ike) and hubby was up all night. The only trouble we had after Ike was getting ice to keep the beer cold. Luckily, the power came on two days later. Most folks were not nearly so fortunate in Houston and Galveston especially. Bad news there as there was a BIG storm surge no one was expecting.

Hurricane Rita skirted off to the East of Houston thankfully, but most people left due to Hurricane Katrina and had nightmare stories of trying to get out of town. My parents finally gave up after 9 hours on the road and came to my house. We stayed put but we live on the far northwest side of Houston. Ironically, my parent's home in League City (spitting distance to the water) was not damaged in Alicia, Rita or Ike. Alicia and Ike came directly over too and no damage but the fence (both times).

Seems to me that being on a cruise ship would be the best when it comes to a hurricane. You are mobile and there is no traffic and you can get a long way out of the way in a few hours time. Yeah, you might catch the edge of it but they would put to port in a hurry rather than risk it on the open seas if push came to shove.

I'm no expert (knock on wood) but I would think a cruise ship would be one of the best places to be during a bad storm... self contained, always have power, lots of food, water and assorted beverages and your own personal bed to fall out after you got drunk lol...Sorry for the long post.

Don't worry about storms. You will be fine.

Um.. spilling beer is not a good thing, especially during a hurricane.

I'm no expert (knock on wood) but I would think a cruise ship would be one of the best places to be during a bad storm... self contained, always have power, lots of food, water and assorted beverages and your own personal bed to fall out after you got drunk lol...Sorry for the long post.

Don't worry about storms. You will be fine.

I agree completely. Have been on a land based vacation during a tropical storm, and flew into a newly formed tropical wave when leaving another land based vacation (both in the Caribbean). Not fun! My experiences with cruise ships and hurricanes have been far better!

I agree completely. Have been on a land based vacation during a tropical storm, and flew into a newly formed tropical wave when leaving another land based vacation (both in the Caribbean). Not fun! My experiences with cruise ships and hurricanes have been far better!

Luckily, I have never had the experience of being on board a cruise ship in a bad storm but I would think it wouldn't be a bad place to be even if things got a bit rough (bites tongue and hopes for the best lol). I have been through a hurricane three times on land.

Luckily, I have never had the experience of being on board a cruise ship in a bad storm but I would think it wouldn't be a bad place to be even if things got a bit rough (bites tongue and hopes for the best lol). I have been through a hurricane three times on land.

The only reason it was bad for me is I got really, really sick. If it wasn't for that, I might have liked it. The weather was much better the second day.

The only reason it was bad for me is I got really, really sick. If it wasn't for that, I might have liked it. The weather was much better the second day.

That would be awful!

In that case, I would take along something for seasickness no matter what time of year. I've seen pools (and decks) emptied due to rocking at times other than hurricane season. I have yet to get sick (knock on wood) so I don't know what is the best solution. There are patches, pills, bracelets, ginger, etc)

The only time I've ever felt seasick was last October on the Sapphire Princess during Tropical Storm Patricia. Still, I would not hesitate to book another October cruise in the Mexican Riviera. Our kids' schoolh as a week off in Oct. for Fall Break and we view it as a good time for a MR cruise.

Archived