Noro Virus Treatment

Sauvignon

I was not complaining about having to pay for the visit, my comments were more along the line of, "So, that is what they do when you get it, not worth it to me, I'll bring my own immodium just in case, thank you.".

Although I do believe it is a bit disingenuous to make daily ship-wide announcements imploring passengers to report any sickness, and then find out they charge you for doing so. If I happen to get sick and need a doctor, then that is all well and good to charge for doing so, however if you implore me to report this and charge me for doing so, different story entirely.

Cheers,

Peter

I think the reporting is for the benefit of the rest of the pax who are ship bound with you.

Most Americans have been used to being charged for doctors visits..so it really isn't a big deal.

I can see that people who are used to government funded healthcare would balk at paying for a service they receive.

We were on a transatlantic Princess cruise when there was an outbreak. The daily announcements ended with there is no charge to passengers for treatment. I think they did this to ensure people would report their illness. Guess they have changed that philosophy.

I have had an e-mail listing the precautions Grand Princess have in place and it clearly states there is no charge for treatment of passengers and crew with Norovirus symptoms.

So if you have the symptoms please report it as your cabin will be cleaned accordingly and you will not leave the nasty bugs behind for someone else to pick upand we will all have a happy cruise.

If you live in the UK, you can see a National Health Service doctor in the UK without additional charge.

Unfortunately, a Princess cruise ship is not "in the UK".

OP had said: "Also, where I live we pay around USD45/GBP30 to visit a doctor."

Since the OP used GPB in his post, I assumed a UK residence.

If you live in the UK, you can see a National Health Service doctor in the UK without additional charge.

Unfortunately, a Princess cruise ship is not "in the UK".

Might be true, but you may have to wait six months to see one or you can spend 30 pounds and see a non NHS doctor and get treated immediately.

Might be true, but you may have to wait six months to see one or you can spend 30 pounds and see a non NHS doctor and get treated immediately.
Seeing as we're going OT: This is rubbish. You'd never have to wait even as long as six days to see an NHS doctor for primary care (which is the level of care that £30 would get you).

Seeing as we're going OT: This is rubbish. You'd never have to wait even as long as six days to see an NHS doctor for primary care (which is the level of care that £30 would get you).

I can usually get a non-emergency appointment at my doctor's the next day or, worst case scenario within 2 days. :)

I can usually get a non-emergency appointment at my doctor's the next day or, worst case scenario within 2 days. :)

That is a good example of why paying helps 'sort out the wheat from the chaff'

I can get a same day appointment, often with a choice of which doctor I see.

I have had an e-mail listing the precautions Grand Princess have in place and it clearly states there is no charge for treatment of passengers and crew with Norovirus symptoms.

So if you have the symptoms please report it as your cabin will be cleaned accordingly and you will not leave the nasty bugs behind for someone else to pick upand we will all have a happy cruise.

Well, that must be a very new policy, as I was on Grand Princess only 2 weeks ago and one of several hundred passengers who contracted the Norovirus and was charged a total of $111 for a night-time visit from the nurse, phenergan injection and some immodium.

But as someone else has already said, the bill doesn't mention the 'N' word!

I think it's very short sighted of Princess, and other cruise lines who deal with Norovirus in this way. They ask you to report sickness... and if you do so, you get charged and confined to your cabin. If you don't report your sickness, you're $$$ richer and also free to move about the ship as soon as you feel well enough.

No wonder some people don't report it.

I can get a same day appointment, often with a choice of which doctor I see.
If you need to see your (free) NHS doctor the same day, you're unlikely to be disappointed.

In addition, if you need same-day medical attention from a doctor, you can always get that (free) on the NHS.

But obviously, if you're prepared to pay, you can have a Rolls Royce service.

Well, that must be a very new policy, as I was on Grand Princess only 2 weeks ago and one of several hundred passengers who contracted the Norovirus and was charged a total of $111 for a night-time visit from the nurse, phenergan injection and some immodium.

But as someone else has already said, the bill doesn't mention the 'N' word!

I think it's very short sighted of Princess, and other cruise lines who deal with Norovirus in this way. They ask you to report sickness... and if you do so, you get charged and confined to your cabin. If you don't report your sickness, you're $$$ richer and also free to move about the ship as soon as you feel well enough.

No wonder some people don't report it.

I agree they should not charge if they want truthfulness all round.

I shall be taking a copy of that e-mail with me then just in case!

Archived