Noro Virus Treatment

Sauvignon

In a recent review, it was quoted that a charge of USD115 was imposed on those who reported having contracted the virus and therefore had a visit and medication from the medical staff. This covered the cost of the visit from medical staff and an injection.

It was further claimed that the level of this charge put some people off from reporting their illness.

In my opinion USD115 (approx GBP80) is not excessive, indeed is very reasonable.

It is likely that some of this cost can be recovered from travel insurance. Also, where I live we pay around USD45/GBP30 to visit a doctor. If the doctor makes a home visit during the day it will be more and if a visit is required at night the charge will be greater still.

USD115 is in no way excessive.

In a recent review, it was quoted that a charge of USD115 was imposed on those who reported having contracted the virus and therefore had a visit and medication from the medical staff. This covered the cost of the visit from medical staff and an injection.

It was further claimed that the level of this charge put some people off from reporting their illness.

In my opinion USD115 (approx GBP80) is not excessive, indeed is very reasonable.

It is likely that some of this cost can be recovered from travel insurance. Also, where I live we pay around USD45/GBP30 to visit a doctor. If the doctor makes a home visit during the day it will be more and if a visit is required at night the charge will be greater still.

USD115 is in no way excessive.

Back in 2003 on the Sun Princess when I was affected 36 hours into the cruise, I collapsed in my cabin and spent the next 9 hours on a drip in the ships hospital. No charge was levied on me or on any other passenger so far as I am aware. The main reason why people do not report their illness is that they fear they will be confined to the cabin for three days and not be allowed ashore for the visits they have planned for many months. On that particular trip to Hawaii, there was no problem in people reporting sick during the first four (sea) days but once land was sniffed, the reports dried up, so making the spread worse.

A few years ago we were on the Star Princess when my DH was diagnosed with noro virus.

(His D&V symptoms were actually the result of an undercooked hotdog he had on board the ship IMHO).

He was treated in the medical centre and his clothes taken to the laundry (due to vomiting), and he was not charged anything for either service.

I have read more recently that P&O were charging for treatment of symptoms of the noro virus, but I'm sure that others who had had more recent Princess experience will be able to update further.

Princess does not charge for treatment of norovirus. The poster must have had some other illness.

I'm not a medical expert, but I thought there was no treatment? I had it a couple of years ago (not on board a ship) and I was told to drink fluids and wait for it to work its way out of my system, which was NOT very pleasant!

I'm not a medical expert, but I thought there was no treatment? I had it a couple of years ago (not on board a ship) and I was told to drink fluids and wait for it to work its way out of my system, which was NOT very pleasant!

You ar quite correct Friday, but its treatment for the symptoms - anti emetic to treat vomiting and sometimes a saline drip for dehydration.

Lets hope that we never need this ourselves!

I asked my doctor about it on the last visit and that's pretty much what she told me too - no treatment, just be careful of dehydration. I now always carry powered Pedialyte with me on all travels, the little packets don't take up much room and work very well!

You ar quite correct Friday, but its treatment for the symptoms - anti emetic to treat vomiting and sometimes a saline drip for dehydration.

Lets hope that we never need this ourselves!

On an Emerald Trans-Atlantic in 2006 I was diagnosed with non-specific gastroenteritis (I think it was some form of food poisoning). I was confined to my room for 24 hours and given a generic European form of Imodium (Loperamide) and provided a special diet. I was visited by the ships doctor in my cabin and Princess did a Hazmat cleanup twice. I was visited again and cleared by the ships doctor after 24 hours as I had no more diarrhea. I was told that it was Princess policy that any diagnosis of gastroenteritis by the ship's doctor would result in no charge for medical services.

I am sure it was not Noro as I was feeling good after 24 hours. I was told there were several people that got sick for 24 hours. Princess was great in their handling of my illness and there was no charge.

Added: I forgot they gave me a shot of something also.

I was given the injection for vomiting, some imodium pills & was billed about $75 usd. I submitted it to my health insurance & was reimbursed after I came home. Now, maybe if you don't have health insurance there is no charge, but I was charged. It was worth every penny!!

Jan

This is something that most (if not all) travel insurance policys would cover. Only a few regular health insurance companies cover you when you are out of the country, from what I have seen.

But most times, the cruise lines want these cases reported and there is no bill given for the treatment anymore.

Also, where I live we pay around USD45/GBP30 to visit a doctor.

I assume you live in the United Kingdom.

I thought that Doctor's visits were covered under your national health plan. Have I been wrong in my thinking?

Princess does charge for being seen by the medical staff when reporting suspected Noro-virus. Perhaps at one time they did not charge, but they do so now. This unfortunately comes from having first hand experience 2 weeks ago on the Grand Princess.

I must admit the visit was not worth the $69, and should it happen again, I would not bother reporting it.

The charges were $40 for the visit during office hours, I believe this is higher if you call out of hours. $10 for giving an injection, $6 for the Promethazine Hydrochloride injection, $4 for the Loperamide tablets and $5 for the syringe for the injection.

However they will offer you free laundry and refund any excursions as a result of the quarantine.

Cheers,

Peter

Princess does not charge for treatment of norovirus. The poster must have had some other illness.

I beg to differ. I was on a Princess ship last week and I was charged over $100 for treatment. One of the members of our group had to be hospitalized and was charged over $2,000 for treatment of "Norovirus".

mprcruiser

Princess does charge for being seen by the medical staff when reporting suspected Noro-virus. Perhaps at one time they did not charge, but they do so now. This unfortunately comes from having first hand experience 2 weeks ago on the Grand Princess.
I'm sorry to hear this. A few years ago, while on the Royal Princess, I came down with virulent vomiting/diarrhea. To this day, I don't know if it was Noro or bacterial (due to unsanitary conditions in Israel while on a Princess tour) but they treated it as though it was Noro. I received shot(s) and prescription Immodium, and my cabin was cleaned 2x a day by a team covered in Hazmat coverings. I didn't leave my cabin for five days nor did they ever send me a bill. The nurse called every few hours and the doctor stopped by once a day to see how I was doing.

I'm sorry to hear this. A few years ago, while on the Royal Princess, I came down with virulent vomiting/diarrhea. To this day, I don't know if it was Noro or bacterial (due to unsanitary conditions in Israel while on a Princess tour) but they treated it as though it was Noro. I received shot(s) and prescription Immodium, and my cabin was cleaned 2x a day by a team covered in Hazmat coverings. I didn't leave my cabin for five days nor did they ever send me a bill. The nurse called every few hours and the doctor stopped by once a day to see how I was doing.

I was surprised as well, especially how they want everyone to report this. It seems that Princess has decided to turn this into a chargeable item. I am sure the illness affects people differently, but for me it was pretty much over by the time the nurse arrived.

Cheers,

Peter

Last year when we were on the Diamond nb from Vancouver to Whittier, there was a very severe outbreak. During the twice daily annoucements and updates by the captain about the number of new cases, etc, he stated that all fees normally charged by the medical staff would be waived, and those infected should seek medical attention.

It sound from his annoucements, that there would normally be a charge associated with the treatment, but at that point they were really struggling with getting it under control and just want to properly sanitize the rooms, etc of those infected. They were also sanitizing the self-serve laundries.

I know that one of the days I think of the 3rd day we were in Ketchikan and we left on deck 4 and walked by the medical facilities on our way off the ship and there was a line of 40-50 people waiting to be seen. I had to ask what the line was for on our way out, thought there was something special, but that was one line I was happy to not be a part of....

On our Sapphire New Years Eve cruise I got the virus on the next to the last day of the cruise. They sent a nurse to see me in the cabin. They did not want me leaving the cabin to go see the doctor. They charged $40 for the visit and they wanted me to have some electrolytes which they charged $6 for.

Jerry

They absolutely DO charge for treatment...my DH contracted noro on our Panama Canal cruise in November and was quarantined for 48 hours-I seem to remember the charge for the office visit being around $45 and the charge for the two medications somewhere around $25. Quite reasonable, but definitely a charge!

I must admit the visit was not worth the $69, and should it happen again, I would not bother reporting it.

The charges were $40 for the visit during office hours, I believe this is higher if you call out of hours. $10 for giving an injection, $6 for the Promethazine Hydrochloride injection, $4 for the Loperamide tablets and $5 for the syringe for the injection.

However they will offer you free laundry and refund any excursions as a result of the quarantine.

Cheers,

Peter

I don't know, but I really don't understand how one can complain about being charged for treatment - regardless of whether it is Noro or anything else. Particularly as in this case the rate is relatively small (USD69 around GDP45 in this case).But then perhaps my attitude is different as where I live we pay to visit the doctor so have a much greater awareness of personal responsibility in this respect.

My comment is not related to charges for being seen by the medical staff, but rather a suggestion about what pax should do for themselves after being exposed to norovirus shortly before debarking for home.

A few years ago I was violently ill, presumably with norovirus, for about twelve hours. This occurred two days before the end of the cruise. My wife did not contract the disease in spite of caring for me in our cabin. We were very concerned, however, that she might become ill during our flight home which, as one can imagine, would be exceedingly difficult on an airplane. Fortunately, this didn't occur, but she became ill less than an hour after our arrival back at home. She took a phenergan suppository and about thirty minutes later, after the vomiting ended, took immodium. She then slept for about twelve hours and awoke the next morning feeling fine.

So now I get to the point of my reply. Ever since then we've always taken a few phenergan suppositories and immodium with us so that if one of us develops N&V while en route home we can treat ourselves.

I thought that Doctor's visits were covered under your national health plan. Have I been wrong in my thinking?

No, you are not wrong in your thinking. We do not pay to visit our doctor in the UK. I don't think the OP is from the UK judging from things he/she has posted previously.

You probably won't see the word "Norovirus" on any bill from the medical center. They called mine "Acute Gastro Enteritis" but in their defense, mine did turn out to be bacterial. I was quarantined after the first visit, though, so they probably did think it was Novovirus.

I was charged $90 for the first visit when a nurse came to our cabin and $86.53 for the second when I went to the medical center. I was charged for a "Doctor" consultation even though I never actually saw him. He was too busy complaining to someone on the phone about an odor in his office. The first charge included $10 for immodium and the second change included $26.53 for Cipro (antibiotic). My regular health insurance covered all but $50 of it. I still need to submit the claim with my travel insurance for the $50.

I don't know, but I really don't understand how one can complain about being charged for treatment - regardless of whether it is Noro or anything else. Particularly as in this case the rate is relatively small (USD69 around GDP45 in this case).But then perhaps my attitude is different as where I live we pay to visit the doctor so have a much greater awareness of personal responsibility in this respect.

I was not complaining about having to pay for the visit, my comments were more along the line of, "So, that is what they do when you get it, not worth it to me, I'll bring my own immodium just in case, thank you.".

Although I do believe it is a bit disingenuous to make daily ship-wide announcements imploring passengers to report any sickness, and then find out they charge you for doing so. If I happen to get sick and need a doctor, then that is all well and good to charge for doing so, however if you implore me to report this and charge me for doing so, different story entirely.

Cheers,

Peter

If you live in the UK, you can see a National Health Service doctor in the UK without additional charge.

Unfortunately, a Princess cruise ship is not "in the UK".

Archived