Classic Southern Caribbean itinerary questions

OPSnorkeler

We are considering the Classic Southern itinerary on the CB out of San Juan. One of the members of our group is handicapped (in a motorized wheelchair). We are wondering two things:

1. Does the CB dock at all ports or are there tender ports?

2. Are there any Princess excursions or private excursions that are handicapped accessible (via transportation with a wheelchair lift van)?

Thank you for your help.

No tender ports at all

2. Are there any Princess excursions or private excursions that are handicapped accessible (via transportation with a wheelchair lift van)?

Sorry have no idea.. but all islands are very developed, so I think you can find something that will fit your needs.

Will this topic http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=891881 help ?

We are considering the Classic Southern itinerary on the CB out of San Juan. One of the members of our group is handicapped (in a motorized wheelchair). We are wondering two things:

Thank you for your help.

I was on the Ruby last February. Of the ports that you are visiting, I visited St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados and was able to just walk off. On another cruise I was on in 2008 I walked off the ship in Aruba and Bonaire.

I can't help you with the second question as I like active excursions such as hiking, mountain bikes and zip lines. The list of ship sponsored excursions will tell you if they are handicapped accessible.

Be aware that there are two cruise ship ports in San Juan and they are a good distance apart by road. Since PR is a US territory, passports are not needed in PR and your cell phone will work under your nationwide agreement. Passports should be used though on the ship. Don't miss seeing Old San Juan particularly the two forts operated by the National Park Service. Both are handicap accessible. OSJ itself is not real accessible though. Check first.

I was on the Ruby last February. Of the ports that you are visiting, I visited St Thomas, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados and was able to just walk off. On another cruise I was on in 2008 I walked off the ship in Aruba and Bonaire.

I can't help you with the second question as I like active excursions such as hiking, mountain bikes and zip lines. The list of ship sponsored excursions will tell you if they are handicapped accessible.

Be aware that there are two cruise ship ports in San Juan and they are a good distance apart by road. Since PR is a US territory, passports are not needed in PR and your cell phone will work under your nationwide agreement. Passports should be used though on the ship. Don't miss seeing Old San Juan particularly the two forts operated by the National Park Service. Both are handicap accessible. OSJ itself is not real accessible though. Check first.

I have Verizon and my cell phone did ROAM in some areas of San Juan. I was notified that this might happen before I left. I confirmed this again for my next trip in 2 weeks. ROAMING means extra $$$. It wasn't ROAMING all the time though...just in certain areas.

I've seen people in regular and motorized w/c as well as in scooters on most cruises, and the excursion guide clearly marks the ones that are accessible, but I don't have specifics. If you haven't already, I suggest you take a look at the Disabled Cruise Travel board for more info! It's in the Special Interest Cruising section of the boards. HTH! ☺

Thank you for your help.

Here is the link to the disabled cruise travel board, very knowledgeable posters there that might be able to supply many more answers to your question about touring in a motorized wheelchair. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Classic Southern Caribbean Itinerary:

Dock - 1 San Juan, Puerto Rico 11:00 PM

2 At Sea

Dock - 3 Barbados 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 4 St. Lucia 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 5 Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Dock (not absolutely positive on this one) - 6 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 7 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

Classic Southern Caribbean Itinerary:

Dock - 1 San Juan, Puerto Rico 11:00 PM

2 At Sea

Dock - 3 Barbados 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 4 St. Lucia 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 5 Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

Dock (not absolutely positive on this one) - 6 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 7 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

Dock - 8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

Interesting, we sailed in reverse order.

Tortola is dock. There is a docking space for 2 Grand class ships (we were there on CB with P&O Ventura), but there are usually 1 or 2 ships at port at the same time.

You can check a number of the ships on that day here http://cruisett.com/ships.php

Archived