Hi has anyone done the Med Cruise that takes in Alexandria (Cairo) ?

octagonmike

there are plenty of reviews, etc on this cruise stop if you check the boards. We've signed up for the eastern Med cruise 1/23/11 with an overnight in Alexandria.

Thinking of booking this for next spring maybe would like some feedback or if possible can someone point me to a review of this cruise.

Hi Mike,

We did the Jade Eastern Med in April 2009. The weather wasn't fantastic until we got to Alexandria. We did the ship tour to Cairo, but many people organised their own tours as the ship was expensive as usual! The Cruise Dock is lovely, but the City is a bit tatty in parts. Our friends took a taxi tour of Alex which was fine, but watch out for being ripped off. The constant begging in Tourist spots gets tedious.

It was an awesome cruise as we saw most of the Ancient sites around the Med. A private tour of Ephesus is recommended. We had a bus for 12 and it was $52 including lunch! An all day travel card for ROME IS ONLY 9 EUROS, SO DON'T GET THE SHIP SHUTTLE AT $100+!

Have a good cruise.

We did the Jade trip last April too. We had just done an 11-day tour of Egypt prior to sailing, and that included Cairo and the Pyramids, as well as down south. So we just stayed the 2 port days in Alexandria rather than go back to Cairo, with all that transport time. Well, Alexandria didn't have much to offer, especially if you're looking for Egyptian antiquities. We did the "Best of Alexandria" day tour to get the lay of the land, tour the modern library, etc., but it wasn't a whole lot of 'bang for the buck'.

So take a tour (the ship's or private) to Cairo and Giza if you've not been before. When else are you likely to be in the neighborhood? And we heard overwhelmingly that (while expensive) the people on the overnight tour were much more satisfied than the single day-trippers. More sites, more activities, less rushed and it didn't seem like they spent the whole time on the bus.

There are many full reviews, and lots of mini reviews about this stop.

Glad we went, but no interest in returning ourselves. Dirty nasty country. We did a private tour with about 12 other people, arranged via the ROLL CALL. See notes below.

Loved the whole trip. Did private overnight tour in Cairo - LOVED the city, was never bothered by anyone, was very inexpensive. Did all other ports on our own - very easy (we had been to most before). A wonderful journey we would do again in a heartbeat!

Robin

My big sis did this tour a couple of years ago. She and her husband were very disappointed. They saw locals putting people on camels and then refusing to let them down until the tourists paid. They also offered to take your picture with your camera and then would not give it back until you paid them money. $20 seemed to be the going "blackmail rate". They would not do it again.

There are many full reviews, and lots of mini reviews about this stop.

Glad we went, but no interest in returning ourselves. Dirty nasty country. We did a private tour with about 12 other people, arranged via the ROLL CALL. See notes below.

My sis said this also.

We did - on NCL Jade in Dec 2008 - LOVED it.

We took NCL's Best of Cairo Overnight tour and it was superb. Pricey but excellent.

Yes, Cairo was so filthy and we breathed 1 pack of fags each day but it was an experience and we loved our visit. Now it's "been there done that".

The pyramids were excellent sights.

Thanks for the replies people.

I (sorry we) have been to the red sea area of Egypt twice for diving holidays. Loved the diving but I hated the hassle and the fact that the locals (even in our 5 star hotel) were trying to rip us off at every opportunity.

I therefore do not have much time for Egypt but my wife wants to see the Pyramids etc. I thought maybe this cruise may be a way of a happy medium but it sounds as much of a bloody nightmare as I imagine.

I wont be bothereing.

Thanks again for the input.,

Archived