Drinks question from 1st timer

Our 1st cruise leaves 6/20 on RC's Empress of the Seas. We plan on bringing a few bottles of wine packed in our luggage (I got this idea from cruise boards). We are also planning on bringing cans of soda as we heard the fountain sodas are not too good. Would there be a problem with the cans being metal as far as security goes? Would bringing our own corkscrew be a problem?

Check the wine and carry on the soda. Bring your own cork screw.

Capt mike

SS Windward 81
Monarch 98
Monarch 99
Monarch 00
Splendour 02
Rhapsody 04
Elation 04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Same thing. You have to go through a security screening when you get on board, and pass your carry-on through an x-ray machine just like the airport. They will take the corkscrew away, very likely. So, pack it in your luggage that goes into the hold and up to your cabin.

DH takes soda in the cans on board all the time from any port where he needs to buy more. They've never stopped him, and he takes them on in the grocery store plastic sack.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

They don't really care about carrying soda on board in plain sight.

As far as putting the wine in bags that the porters will handle...........

BE CAREFUL. They throw those bags and pile 'em high much more destructively than airline baggage handlers do. I wouldn't put wine in my checked bag. (I know that others do). Remember, if it breaks and leaks, it's all over your clothes AND sometimes all over OTHER people's baggage!

JMHO.

Carol

We were on the Explorer on May 23 and had three bottles of wine in our carryon bag. No problem with security. Cabin attendent got us a large bucket for ice and kept it full the entire time. Only thing he wouldn't do was get us wine glasses, said we had to call room service. No problem with that either.

We always take wine and beer in our checked luggage..the wine has arrived with no problems, however the last time a beer can did get punctured and leaked in my bag. Good thing I had tones of clothes to soak it up before leaking on to other peoples stuff!

Carnival Victory Can/NE
Sept 2004
Voyager of the Seas Can/NE
Sept 2004
Radiance of the Seas Alaska
Sept 2003
Radiance of the Seas Alaska
June 2002

We wrapped the wine bottles in bubble wrap and sealed them inside ziplock bags - ditto with soda and water. No problems even if something got broken or leaked (which it didn't).

Geri

Glasses? No problem. I wouldn't even ask the cabin steward. (ours, alas, was HORRENDOUS) We had champagne - my daughter's 18th birthday. I just strolled down to the Champagne Bar, batted my eyelashes at the bartender, and asked for champagne glasses. Two minutes later, I was headed back up to my cabin with champagne glasses in hand....

Carol

Box wine is the only way to go. No breakage ever.

Capt mike

SS Windward 81
Monarch 98
Monarch 99
Monarch 00
Splendour 02
Rhapsody 04
Elation 04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;31;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Archived