Just off the Fantasy, 5-30-10

Hey guys- I just got back from the Fantasy. It was the third cruise from the Charleston port. We went to Nassau, Freeport, and Key West (my fave!). We had an awesome time... definitely not perfect, but overall it was a great cruise and vacation. We did a tour in Nassau and snorkeled in Freeport, but neither excursion was through Carnival, and we just walked around Key West.

Some background about me... I'm 24 (a girl, as my username isn't very gender specific), a college graduate, and I work in computer software development **flashes official nerd card**. My fabulous fiancé, Clay, and I cruise together. He's also 24 and works as a chemist all night while going back to college for CS during the day. So basically, we were just thrilled to spend a week together away from our jobs and the stresses of life... and what better way to do that than cruising???

We debated between this cruise and the Dream but settled for this one because of it being Memorial Day weekend (Yay for only having to use 4 days vacation) and a 2-hour drive from the port (Yay for having breakfast on the ship this morning and lunch in my apartment this afternoon).

We didn't have John Heald as our cruise director, which to me, was the main disappointment. I found out last week that we would have a guy named Hennie instead. Nothing personal against Hennie (granted his "I said bye-bye" at the end of every announcement was annoying), but I did expect to have John when I booked. My fiance's parents were on the week before us and they had John. It was "handover week", and I didn't see or hear from John on the whole cruise, except for one debarkation announcement.

I'm currently writing a review in my blog (http://proudpatriot07.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/cruise-recap-carnival-fantasy-day-1/), so I'm going to just post links to the blog whenever I post new ones.

If you have any questions, though, just ask away on this thread and I'll answer :). You'll probably get a quicker answer if you comment here rather than on the blog, especially if you have a specific question, since my blog is mostly written for random family members and friends who may or may not be cruising enthusiasts as most of you are :).

I've asked this in a couple other threads, but wanted to get your experience also:

What time did you make it to the port, and about how long did it take until you were able to board the ship?

We got there a little before 12... we were on lido eating by 1. We knew we wouldn't be able to board until 12 so we weren't in a rush. I guess it took maybe 45 minutes for the whole thing, including waiting in that car line to be dropped off with our luggage. It took us maybe 15-20 minutes to actually go through security, fill out health form, check in for cruise, get picture taken, get on ship.

Also, after you drop off your luggage, you have to wait on a shuttle to take you to the area where you actually go through security and board the ship. We didn't really have to wait very long for that either.

Debarkation was even more of a breeze. We did self assist and we walked off the ship, went straight through immigration (no lines when we got off, we waited until all decks had been called, but right before zones were called). This took probably less than 10 minutes...

I was on the week before (the 7 day with HMC) and have posted my review.

As for Mr. Heald, I would happily have traded him for anyone. I'm not a fan.

But why is it that so many of these CDs think they have to have some "cute" little something at the end of their announcements? Do they really think that they're funny?

Do they want to be remembered by the pax, by any means, whether for a good reason or bad?

I just don't get it. Make the stupid announcements if you must, but leave out the cutesy crap and be as non-invasive as possible. Sheesh. :mad:

Anyway, glad you had a good time. I'm considering another Fascination cruise out of Jax. Would love to do a B2B and combine the HMC and Key West itineraries.

Half Moon Cay and Key West are both *awesome*. I really don't care to go back to Nassau, since I've been there twice already. I liked Freeport okay except for having to take a bus to the city. Not to mention the taxi van thing we took on the way back almost broke down on us... lol. I think that experience is what turned me off from Freeport, but I'll write about that in a later review because that was on Day 4 of my cruise :).

I think the Cruise Directors do want to be remembered. They are entertainers, after all... not quite like the piano players or jugglers or comedians, but still entertainers. If people remember them, they tell other people about the cruise and those people book cruises, so yeah. Not to mention, they want good comments on those comment cards and good feedback- I mean we're paying their salaries by cruising. The CD on my last cruise, Brent Mitchell, didn't have a cutesy thing at the end of his announcements. He did make them, about as many as Hennie, but Brent seemed WAY more professional than Hennie.

Sounds like you drove to the port. How was the traffic, lines, etc? We're debating parking at the port or a hotel. It is more of a hassel factor decision than financial. I've read some posts that indicate it was a real pain. What are your thoughts?

The line to be dropped off was kind of long, along with the line to park (at least I think it was the parking line). It still didn't take us THAT long, though. There are people there directing traffic and everything; there's always traffic in downtown Charleston though whether you're cruising or not.

Personally I'd do a park & cruise deal (if I didn't have someone to drop me off)... it's $15 a day I think to park at the port, you would spend a little more on the park and cruise but save some headaches and also get to relax in a hotel the night before rather than driving in on the day of your cruise... that's what we did when we cruised from MIA.

There are some pretty good parking deals starting to pop up from hotels in the area. The one our group is staying at contracts with a company for their shuttle service to the port using a fleet of Chevrolet Suburbans, so no hot and crowded bus, and we get to set the time we leave the hotel for the ship.

We also sailed the 5/30/10 cruise out of Charleston. Charleston was so easy to embark and disembark. I'll be posting a review in the next few days. I liked Hennie as a CD. Yes, the "bye-bye" thing was a little irritating, but otherwise, I thought he was great! Ticket to Ride was a little disappointing -- I guess I was expecting something else. Singers and dancers are incredible, but I thought the show was lacking. Loved the food, loved the service, loved the ship .... LOVED IT ALL!!!

Haha, thanks everyone! I'm a little biased, but I think we make a cute couple too :).

I didn't go to see Ticket to Ride. The only main show I saw was Thein Fu, the juggler/comedian. I thought he was pretty awesome. We did go to all the comedy shows and the marriage show, though... all of which were awesome :).

I'm almost done with Day 2, which was the first sea day & formal night; just need to proofread it, so I'll try to get it up tomorrow.

Haha, thanks everyone! I'm a little biased, but I think we make a cute couple too :).

I didn't go to see Ticket to Ride. The only main show I saw was Thein Fu, the juggler/comedian. I thought he was pretty awesome. We did go to all the comedy shows and the marriage show, though... all of which were awesome :).

I'm almost done with Day 2, which was the first sea day & formal night; just need to proofread it, so I'll try to get it up tomorrow.

Great review & thanks for sharing. We sail on the 9/18 Cruise Critic Group Cruise so I'm anxious to read all the reviews. Have sailed The Fantasy 3 times and she's one of my favs.

I think Nctribe mentioned a band she saw maybe they were in The Cats Lounge(so glad to hear they didn't change the name over the years). She posted a picture & they were an Asian group that played all kinds of stuff. Did you ever seen them while on the ship? Carnival must really be hiring Asian bands as it seems like there has been one on every ship since we were on The Legend in 2007. I am just amazed at how good they all are.

Hey everyone! I posted Day 2 of my review. It's up at http://proudpatriot07.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/cruise-recap-carnival-fantasy-day-2/ so you can read it.

I think the Asian band played on the lido deck one day, they were pretty good to me, but I was laying out on Lido and really any music was cool, lol. I didn't spend much time in bars or lounges or anything, because I don't drink too much (I had like 3 drinks the entire cruise, all on different days). I know the piano player on the boat, Tim, went to high school with my fiancé though. I heard he was good but I never went to see/hear him play.

There are some pretty good parking deals starting to pop up from hotels in the area. The one our group is staying at contracts with a company for their shuttle service to the port using a fleet of Chevrolet Suburbans, so no hot and crowded bus, and we get to set the time we leave the hotel for the ship.

Would you mind sharing the name of the hotel? Sounds better than the hotel van/bus!

Thanks for the review. My friends and I (about 6 of us) are planning to take a 5 day cruise on the Fantasy in January. We'll be doing the same ports except for Key West. I'm really interested in hearing about the ship and the ports and everything! THANKS!

Also, here's a link to all the parts of the review of the Fantasy trip:

http://proudpatriot07.wordpress.com/category/carnival-fantasy/

I created a category for my first cruise on the Destiny as well, so if anyone's going on the Destiny, you can read it here:

http://proudpatriot07.wordpress.com/category/carnival-destiny/

The line to be dropped off was kind of long, along with the line to park (at least I think it was the parking line). It still didn't take us THAT long, though. There are people there directing traffic and everything; there's always traffic in downtown Charleston though whether you're cruising or not.

Personally I'd do a park & cruise deal (if I didn't have someone to drop me off)... it's $15 a day I think to park at the port, you would spend a little more on the park and cruise but save some headaches and also get to relax in a hotel the night before rather than driving in on the day of your cruise... that's what we did when we cruised from MIA.

I will never do a "park & ride" type deal again. We did one of those in May in Atlanta and when we returned from our cruise our vehicle was gone. It had been stolen from the hotel parking lot, so from now on I don't care what it cost I will pay to have my vehicle locked up somewhere.

Wow, that's crazy! Really sorry that happened to you- I know it would ruin my vacation/trip. Did the garage/hotel help you out any with insurance, transportation, etc, at least?

The one we did in Miami was in a guarded garage, fortunately. But trust me, if we had any doubts about the garage, we wouldn't have done the Park & Cruise deal.

Wow, that's crazy! Really sorry that happened to you- I know it would ruin my vacation/trip. Did the garage/hotel help you out any with insurance, transportation, etc, at least?

The one we did in Miami was in a guarded garage, fortunately. But trust me, if we had any doubts about the garage, we wouldn't have done the Park & Cruise deal.

It would ruin my trip too but cruising from Atlanta? What's up with that? Last time I was there they were land locked.

It would ruin my trip too but cruising from Atlanta? What's up with that? Last time I was there they were land locked.

Well, they said Park and Ride, so I guess it was something where they parked and rode on a bus or something all day maybe, for a tour?

Car theft is no joke and it happens... one of the girls at my last job had her car stolen from her condo. She went down to get in the car to go to work, and the car just wasn't there... needless to say, she no longer lives in that complex...

Well, they said Park and Ride, so I guess it was something where they parked and rode on a bus or something all day maybe, for a tour?

Car theft is no joke and it happens... one of the girls at my last job had her car stolen from her condo. She went down to get in the car to go to work, and the car just wasn't there... needless to say, she no longer lives in that complex...

I have been there too with a brand new (2 months old) car got up in the morning to go to work and it wasn't there.

You live in Florence so you know where Anderson is and it's not that far from Atlanta. Maybe they travelled with a group tour and they hooked up with an Atlanta group?? All I can think of.

Archived