226 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cahill driving repeat business away from Carnival

• Yes, Cahill is driving repeat business away with his policies
    • No, no matter what Carnival does I will always cruise with them
    • I miss Steveaaaaaa's polls, they are much more scientific
    • TwoFatGuys is a great name for a band

How is what Cahill doing, attracting more upscale passengers?? :confused:

It's the total opposite.

Hey..as far as whining, no one is whining...we're taking our money someplace else.

Whining is when you stay with what you don't like and continue to complain...and this thread is about HOW and WHICH CCL's leaders have changed things. It's not about whining.

I hate whining :)

I think that he is sending the message..."We are 'cleaning up' this 'party cruise line'. Look at what we're doing by cracking down on smuggling! We don't want those heathen types on our ships!!" It is my feeling that he is trying to send the message that Carnival is NOT a party-hardy cruise line. Just my feeling, your mileage may vary.

Edited to add: I didn't say anyone else was whining, just that I didn't have anything to whine about ;)

I do think that Gary Cahill has got it wrong-- at least for the passengers. For the shareholders', I think that's an entirely different story.

Living in South Florida, it is very convenient sailing on Carnival. Despite the relatively low prices to book, it does wind up being an expensive endeavor.

Food and service have truly declined over the past few years. After having just departed a Carnival ship, I've decided not to use this line again. At least not for a while.

This seems to be a theme lately on Carnival.

We are service/quaility driven as well.

Not everyone who chooses CCL has done so solely because of price...for us, it was the combo of great price, fabulous food and service....OH and the 'FUN' factor :D

I don't care how cheap the cruise is, if I get better service, entertainment and food...more choices and new innovations elsewhere I am going to wander.

OH WAIT...I already did :)

ITA with this post. A low price is a nice perk but it was NOT the reason I continued to sale with Carnival. I liked the vibe, the service, the food. It was just fun. The cost was an added bonus.

Carnival was once "the best value for your dollar" but now its leaning towards "you get what you pay for" territory. It seems their more into cost cutting than innovations and upgrades and while that may be fine for Carnival, its not fine for me. But that's okay because there are a bunch of other lines who offer what I look for in a cruise.

After my cruise on the Dream in July, I can't say I won't be sailing Carnival again. But after 18 cruises...its time to give it a rest and explore other options.

I think that he is sending the message..."We are 'cleaning up' this 'party cruise line'. Look at what we're doing by cracking down on smuggling! We don't want those heathen types on our ships!!" It is my feeling that he is trying to send the message that Carnival is NOT a party-hardy cruise line. Just my feeling, your mileage may vary.

I'm not talking about cracking down on smuggling...I could care less about that.

Cutting corners to keep prices at rock bottom will never yield an 'upscale' passenger. It yields a passenger that doesn't care about service or quality just a low cost.

Carnival was once "the best value for your dollar" but now its leaning towards "you get what you pay for" territory. .

BINGO!

That is exactly what I couldn't figure out how to say. That sums it up perfectly.

I'm not talking about cracking down on smuggling...I could care less about that.

Cutting corners to keep prices at rock bottom will never yield an 'upscale' passenger. It yields a passenger that doesn't care about service or quality just a low cost.

Concur, however, with the cracking down on smuggling, drink prices are ridiculously high, there is only one "free drink" party now, at the end of the cruise when they know very few people will go.....it all leads up to sending a message (perhaps subliminally) IMHO....."we are no longer a party ship, feel free to bring Grandma and the children, nothing to see here."

Again, I think time will tell.

I do not think that Cahill has a firm grasp on the demographic that Carnival attracts, that's for sure. It seems like he is trying to make them more "upscale" or something. Only time will tell if his being out of touch with his market will ultimately hurt CCL.

The thing of it is.....you never miss that which you never had. All the newbies coming on board now have no concept of what cruising used to be 2,3 4 years ago, let alone 25+ years ago when I started cruising. The only people b*tching are those who remember the "good ole days". The new people won't know that there is anything different than what they are offered today.

So, as I said, I think I'll take a wait and see attitude about Cahill. So far little he has done impacts me so I have nothing to whine about.

Edited to add: I didn't say anyone else was whining, just that I didn't have anything to whine about ;)

Actually I think he is in denial about the demographic.. and I think that the changes have nothing to do with 'cleaning up' and everything to do with revenue

Concur, however, with the cracking down on smuggling, drink prices are ridiculously high, there is only one "free drink" party now, at the end of the cruise when they know very few people will go.....it all leads up to sending a message (perhaps subliminally) IMHO....."we are no longer a party ship, feel free to bring Grandma and the children, nothing to see here."

To be fair, there was always only one. Unless you were a past guest then there are free drinks at the past guest party, which there still is.

O/T: Has anyone noticed the appetizers at these parties went from amazing to yuck? Years ago they had this great peppered shrimp. Actual good, hot, appetizers. Now there are...sandwiches.

There have been significant service declines since my first cruise in the late 80's BUT I also paid more for my cruise then. In terms of food, we took a 4 year break from Carnival after our Victory cruise in '06 mainly because of the food. Those Georges Blanc menus sucked big time IMO and the food we did order was just ... meh. On Inspiration this past March we found the food quality and choices much, much better.

There have been significant service declines since my first cruise in the late 80's BUT I also paid more for my cruise then. In terms of food, we took a 4 year break from Carnival after our Victory cruise in '06 mainly because of the food. Those Georges Blanc menus sucked big time IMO and the food we did order was just ... meh. On Inspiration this past March we found the food quality and choices much, much better.

The Victory just sucks...

(Said then said it now and will always say it- worst cruise ever)

I kinda disagree.....

CCL was family oriented back in the 90's. The 'party-ship thing was (in reality) a thing of the past by the time the 90's were over. Grandma and the kids have been sailing for decades. They aren't trying to clean-up by cracking down on smuggling, they're just trying to stop people from spending LESS on booze.

I don't think the cracking down has to do with them trying to get rid of their reputation.

If you are right, and THIS is the way they are going about it...then the big-heads at CCL are more stupid than I could have ever imagined.

Cleaning-up the reputation should be done by offering quality service that families want...not crap that college kids think is acceptable.

jmo.

Your problem was with the crisuenot the ship.

Witness the same sort of complaints on that tin about the Triumph and I'm betting soon the Glory.

Carnival was once "the best value for your dollar" but now its leaning towards "you get what you pay for" territory. .

So you are saying... (and I like to make this clear, I have yet to cruise) the money you pay for what you get is not worth it anymore?

You are saying what you get food, service etc is not the best value for your dollar?

As a business it makes no sense to sell a $100 item for $50. That is unless you recoup the other $50 plus dollars elsewhere. Plus as you still need to pay overhead etc.

It appears (based on some of the responses) that is what Carnival was doing. Selling a $100 doodad for $50.

Now they have two choices. You either up the price that you sell the doodad for (or up the price of other things)... or you get a less expensive lower quality doodad and charge the same price.

If you up the price you slide your customer base. you then have to go after a customer base that is either already paying higher on another cruise line or ones that have never cruised and can afford those prices.

If you lower the quality of the doodad keeping the price the same the only thing you have to cover is the people that "think" they may not getting their monies worth.

Is it really THAT bad? Dollar for Dollar for what you "get" is Carnival that bad compared to other cruise lines.

Im paying about 2k for a 7 day cruise (for 2 people). If I do not buy anything else. No excursions, no photos, no spas, no liquor..... How is that not a good deal?

I have a place to stay, all the food I can eat. I get to go to 3 Islands I would never have thought I would have gone to....

Sorry... I dont see how it is NOT the best for your dollar unless someone is doing it better and cheaper... and from what I understand no one does.

Again I have not cruised Im just going by what I have read and 'prices' I have seen.

I kinda disagree.....

CCL was family oriented back in the 90's. The 'party-ship thing was (in reality) a thing of the past by the time the 90's were over. Grandma and the kids have been sailing for decades. They aren't trying to clean-up by cracking down on smuggling, they're just trying to stop people from spending LESS on booze.

I don't think the cracking down has to do with them trying to get rid of their reputation.

If you are right, and THIS is the way they are going about it...then the big-heads at CCL are more stupid than I could have ever imagined.

Cleaning-up the reputation should be done by offering quality service that families want...not crap that college kids think is acceptable.

jmo.

1985 Celebration, 7 day cruise. There were 428 single people on board. Only 66 were guys. All the rest of the passengers were families.

Sure the singles partied, but the "party ship" days were over then. But the reputation continues with the unknowing to this day!

WOW....what itin?

When we were on her back in April the ship was in much better shape than it was when I first sailed on her, and the new itin rocked.

(originally sailed on the eastern carribean itin and it was my first carnival cruise, so I didn't know much...but had a fun time.)

WOW....what itin?

When we were on her back in April the ship was in much better shape than it was when I first sailed on her, and the new itin rocked.

(originally sailed on the eastern carribean itin and it was my first carnival cruise, so I didn't know much...but had a fun time.)

It was a 4 or 5 day Canada/NE. One of those cruises.

. . .Carnival was once "the best value for your dollar" but now its leaning towards "you get what you pay for" territory. . .

BINGO!

That is exactly what I couldn't figure out how to say. That sums it up perfectly.

I agree..

It is what it is..

Ditto on all the above.

LOL I guess you wanted to be sure!:D

LOL. To be fair, the first one three years earlier was better than the last by far. Although, when our group gets together we still laugh like fools about pulling into port early one morning (on Victory #2) and this large-ish zodiac type boat filled with people cut across the wake of another ship, did a big bounce and about six people in jeans and sweat shirts flew out of the boat. We dubbed it the Wet A$$ Peggy's Cove Tour. Hysterical.:D

Your problem was with the crisuenot the ship.

Witness the same sort of complaints on that tin about the Triumph and I'm betting soon the Glory.

WOW....what itin?

It was a 4 or 5 day Canada/NE. One of those cruises.

Cruise, staff.. ship was dreadful

What does it matter.. it just sucked all around :p

Cruise, staff.. ship was dreadful

What does it matter.. it just sucked all around :p

Our waitstaff was one of the poorest we have experienced...but the bartenders at the martini bar and the cigar lounge did make up for it....other than that we were off the ship with a port every day....LOL :p

We were also on a group cruise, so we brought the good time with us. ;)

With all the port days the maintenance staff had a lot of time to up keep the ship.

So you are saying... (and I like to make this clear, I have yet to cruise) the money you pay for what you get is not worth it anymore?

You are saying what you get food, service etc is not the best value for your dollar?

Well now it becomes subjective. A while back no one could argue that Carnival wasn't the best for your dollar, but now it depends on who you ask. For me, I would rather pay more and get more than pay less and get less, which is what is happening now with Carnival.

As a business it makes no sense to sell a $100 item for $50. That is unless you recoup the other $50 plus dollars elsewhere. Plus as you still need to pay overhead etc.

Agreed.

It appears (based on some of the responses) that is what Carnival was doing. Selling a $100 doodad for $50.

I guess you could put it this way. I wouldn't go as far as a 50% margin, but they could have definitely charged more for their old product and have it be justified.

Now they have two choices. You either up the price that you sell the doodad for (or up the price of other things)... or you get a less expensive lower quality doodad and charge the same price.

Right.

If you up the price you slide your customer base. you then have to go after a customer base that is either already paying higher on another cruise line or ones that have never cruised and can afford those prices.

Exactly.

If you lower the quality of the doodad keeping the price the same the only thing you have to cover is the people that "think" they may not getting their monies worth.

LOL, you will still get your monies worth with Carnival. But what is that really saying since Carnival is so inexpensive and is currently the least expensive mass market line in service?

Is it really THAT bad? Dollar for Dollar for what you "get" is Carnival that bad compared to other cruise lines.

Dollar for Dollar compared to other cruise lines? Its not bad, just not as good, IMO. Its definitely not for me anymore. You can't really compare any Carnival ship/experience to those that are now being provided by NCL and RCI. I've been waiting for years for a new Carnival ship to "WOW" me. Hasn't happened yet and won't be happening for quite a few years now that the "Breeze" is coming.

Im paying about 2k for a 7 day cruise (for 2 people). If I do not buy anything else. No excursions, no photos, no spas, no liquor..... How is that not a good deal?

It depends on your taste. Honestly, if I had never been on a Carnival cruise and I paid that price and received the current Carnival experience, I would be satisfied. But knowing how it used to be and knowing that I received so much more in the past for that same dollar...I'm not okay with it. I don't book my cruises based on cost. I book my cruises based on what the experience will be like.

I have a place to stay, all the food I can eat. I get to go to 3 Islands I would never have thought I would have gone to....

And this is the type of cruiser that Carnival is currently targeting. New ones that know nothing of the past experience who will be satisfied with what they get considering the low cost.

Sorry... I dont see how it is NOT the best for your dollar unless someone is doing it better and cheaper... and from what I understand no one does.

Better and cheaper...are not words that usually go together. And if they do, it should make you skeptical. Carnival used to be just as good as the others and cheaper which is why they are so popular and had tons of past guests. Now not so much. Its not the best for your dollar. It used to be. You are just getting what you pay for. If that's what you consider the best for your dollar, perfect! But I would rather pay a little bit more with other lines and get lots more options, more activities, and an innovative cruise experience.

Again I have not cruised Im just going by what I have read and 'prices' I have seen.

Answers in bold.

Archived