steveNcindy

Is Cahill driving repeat business away from Carnival  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cahill driving repeat business away from Carnival

• Yes, Cahill is driving repeat business away with his policies
    • No, no matter what Carnival does I will always cruise with them
    • I miss Steveaaaaaa's polls, they are much more scientific
    • TwoFatGuys is a great name for a band

I cant say that he is making Carnival "stronger" or not. All I can say is that from my perspective; after 10 years and 4 cruises ( soon to be 5 ), I am finally becoming less enamoured of Carnival. The changes at first were very subtle, but lately just too many changes too fast. I find myself now considering a different cruiseline for 2011.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with some of the criticisms listed here. However, has anyone considered the economic environment that ALL cruise lines have had to deal wiith the last two or three years?

If you ever peruse the RCCL site; the criticisms of veterans about THEIR cutbacks are very similar. Their biggest complaint right now is the declining quality of food; and cutbacks in repeater awards. Basically it's the same "ain't what it used to be" song.

So perhaps the changes are systemic of the economic challenges that face the entire cruise industry.

I'm not defending poor management; I'm just saying there may be another side to the story.

Mitch

I am not necessarily disagreeing with some of the criticisms listed here. However, has anyone considered the economic environment that ALL cruise lines have had to deal wiith the last two or three years?

If you ever peruse the RCCL site; the criticisms of veterans about THEIR cutbacks are very similar. Their biggest complaint right now is the declining quality of food; and cutbacks in repeater awards. Basically it's the same "ain't what it used to be" song.

So perhaps the changes are systemic of the economic challenges that face the entire cruise industry.

I'm not defending poor management; I'm just saying there may be another side to the story.

Mitch

Ok I understand the business person's opinion, and I know that Carnival will not miss my business as a solo cruiser, because they can sell the room at a higher price than they used to, but;

What I am trying to say, is that I dont always cruise alone, and now that Carnival has in effect "told" me that my solo cruise dollars, and my loyalty are not valued, I have been shopping around. I have been wanting to try something different in cruising, so whether or not I cruise solo, I am looking to another cruise experience.

So next year, my Mom and I want to cruise together again, we will likely be going with one of her faves; ie Celebrity.

Two weeks ago, I priced a Carnival solo cruise for 2011 at 849.00 with my PVP, that was before they raised the rate to 200pc, yet a few days later I priced a solo cruise on NCL, for 50.00 less, and On Celebrity for the same price. Well I have to say, now that Carnival is costing more than Celebrity, it is a no brainer. I will be booking on Celebrity!

Bottom line I know Carnival wont miss me! But I know there are a lot of options out there! Carnival wont be one, whether I cruise alone or not!:)

Seen one, ya seen them all. .. well Im told this is good, that they are consistent.... but not innovative.

Agree except the part about consistency. From a strictly objective standpoint, the experience whittles away each time and the price gets a little higher.

I have considered the economic environment all cruiselines are operating in and, for the life of me, I can't understand why they think people would willingly pay more for less. Any marketing strategy is dependent on repeat business, so this approach is truely bewildering.

Sorry... Yes I MEANT that Carnival has always seemed to me more liberal about bringing a bottle in checked luggage.

I have cruised Carnival MANY MANY times and NEVER had an issue with bringing a bottle with me???

As to 1A single category, when I was younger I had booked this cat. once. So really, for me, cat. 1A at 150% for single is no issue. However I always sail single, (prefer at least a window) even if I have others in my 'group'. *(I don't like to share... I snore, smoke, fart, get up alot at night and overall make a lousy roomate!)

Reminds me of when Carnival had a 'guarantee match' where you could sail in a cabin and Carnival matched someone to be the 2nd in the cabin. I learned early on to let Carnival know I smoked, snored, farted got up all night AND I added (just to make sure I sailed alone)that I was gay looking for a husband!!! I never had to 'share' the cabin! ROFL

DOC :cool:

Sorry... Yes I MEANT that Carnival has always seemed to me more liberal about bringing a bottle in checked luggage.

I have cruised Carnival MANY MANY times and NEVER had an issue with bringing a bottle with me???

So wait a second... you knew it was against their policy, did it anyway then complain when they enforce their rule and or you get caught...

Is that what I understand?

I dont like the way Gerry Cahill hesitates to put out a ship that really competes with Mega Mega Ultra Line. thats my nickname for RCI. The bigger RCI builds, the more lame excuses Gerry Cahill and Micky Arison come up with for not doing the same. They build the same ships with different names. Now if Carnival finally steps up to the plate and builds a Carnival Pinnacle, i will be satisfied.

So wait a second... you knew it was against their policy, did it anyway then complain when they enforce their rule and or you get caught...

Is that what I understand?

No, not at all. In fact I wasn't 'complaining' at all in any of my posts, only pointing out that Carival is no different than other cruise lines that have had this policy.

Peace!

I dont like the way Gerry Cahill hesitates to put out a ship that really competes with Mega Mega Ultra Line. thats my nickname for RCI. The bigger RCI builds, the more lame excuses Gerry Cahill and Micky Arison come up with for not doing the same. They build the same ships with different names. Now if Carnival finally steps up to the plate and builds a Carnival Pinnacle, i will be satisfied.

Royal Caribbean is far deeper in debt because of the latest Mega Mega ships (Oasis and Allure), and they pretty much are "betting the farm" on their success. The Carnival business model seems to be better than RCCL; and Carnival stocks perform more consistently. I doubt they will vary from that much.

Mitch

No, not at all. In fact I wasn't 'complaining' at all in any of my posts, only pointing out that Carival is no different than other cruise lines that have had this policy.

Peace!

Rgr that.

Intoday's 2Q relaease, CCL reports that cruise demand remains solid and despite higher prices bookingvolume held up well and on board spending is rising (fewer smugglers?). Appears that fuel costs(up 64%) are a key reason for drop in profits..but someowhat offset by more $ per occupancy by cruisers. For you Carnival shareholders.. ticker is now at $33.88 up off its lows and opening $.

ITA with this post, especially the bolded.

I find it very interesting that Carnival has not built a ship to directly compete with the RCI Oasis and Allure, the NCL Epic or even the Disney Dream. Its like they have a template of cruise ship and that's that. They will not stray from it. They may alter it a bit, stretch it out in the middle, add a few decks which are composed of more staterooms which leads to more people, but keeping almost the same amount of public areas which leads to their notorious crowding issues.

I am really unsure why Carnival is scared to change. They keep coming up with these excuses as to why they just won't and it truly just baffles me. Everyone brings up RCI's debt issue. NCL is not in debt and neither is Disney after building their mega ships. So the debt that RCI is currently in is a lame excuse to me. Carnival could have comfortably afforded to build those Oasis class ships. Carnival Corp is in excellent financial condition. I know some will say its because they are sticking to what they know and not overdoing it with the bigger ships. I feel that Carnival could be in even BETTER financial position with a couple of innovative new ships.

Carnival had the plans first for the mega mega ship. I'm not sure what happened, but it was never built. Now we have two more oversized Conquest class ships coming. They need to fire the entire creative team and start fresh because its just ridiculous now. I know that some people hate the mega ships. Understandable. The Fantasy and Spirit classes of ship are in excellent condition. I applaud Carnival for maintaining them well. The Evolutions of Fun upgrades are wonderful!

But honestly if the Dream class is truly the best Carnival has to offer...while the competition is leaps and bounds ahead in the innovation department...that's really just sad. Don't get me wrong, the Dream seems to be somewhat of an impressive ship, I will be on her in 2 short weeks. I just think it would have been better suited for 1999. In direct competition with Voyager of the Seas and that class of ship.

I find it very interesting that Carnival has not built a ship to directly compete with the RCI Oasis and Allure, the NCL Epic or even the Disney Dream. Its like they have a template of cruise ship and that's that. They will not stray from it. They may alter it a bit, stretch it out in the middle, add a few decks which are composed of more staterooms which leads to more people, but keeping almost the same amount of public areas which leads to their notorious crowding issues.

I am really unsure why Carnival is scared to change. They keep coming up with these excuses as to why they just won't and it truly just baffles me. Everyone brings up RCI's debt issue. NCL is not in debt and neither is Disney after building their mega ships. So the debt that RCI is currently in is a lame excuse to me. Carnival could have comfortably afforded to build those Oasis class ships. Carnival Corp is in excellent financial condition. I know some will say its because they are sticking to what they know and not overdoing it with the bigger ships. I feel that Carnival could be in even BETTER financial position with a couple of innovative new ships.

Carnival had the plans first for the mega mega ship. I'm not sure what happened, but it was never built. Now we have two more oversized Conquest class ships coming. They need to fire the entire creative team and start fresh because its just ridiculous now. I know that some people hate the mega ships. Understandable. The Fantasy and Spirit classes of ship are in excellent condition. I applaud Carnival for maintaining them well. The Evolutions of Fun upgrades are wonderful!

But honestly if the Dream class is truly the best Carnival has to offer...while the competition is leaps and bounds ahead in the innovation department...that's really just sad. Don't get me wrong, the Dream seems to be somewhat of an impressive ship, I will be on her in 2 short weeks. I just think it would have been better suited for 1999. In direct competition with Voyager of the Seas and that class of ship.

This puzzles me also, Luv.

Possibly the "if it ain't broke, why fix it" syndrome. I was a little disappointed in the SPLENDOR being just more and more of the same, just BIGGER. If the DREAM and the MAGIC become just another BIGGER ship with identical cabins, nearly identical layout to the CONQUEST class, I'll be disappointed in Carnival even more. Its starting to take-on a "cookie cutter" shape, IMHO.

If Carnival wants to charge the SOLO cruiser 200%, how about a unique ship that has a layer of teeny tiny cabins (100 sq ft like the NCL EPIC) that would justify the high price for a SOLO cruiser. Basically, we're never in them except to sleep, shower and change clothes anyway.:rolleyes:

I'm not crazy about the huge megaships with shopping centers, but would find an "inside" cabin with a window to a center mall, very interesting. :rolleyes:

In thinking about this, I wonder if Carnival CORPORATION has decided to allow the "sister cruise line" concept provide the diversity.

For example, Yachts of Seaborne for the smaller ship experience. Cunard for the HUGE Ocean Liner experience.... etc etc etc

With 8 different cruise lines in Carnival Corp fleet....perhaps Carnival "cruise line" does not feel like they have to be all things to all people....

Have a great time on the Dream. I love the Spa cabins!!!

Personally, I would like to see a better designed 150,000 size ship (instead of just BIGGER) with:

1. proper ventilation in designated smoking areas

2. a better passenger ratio (just because it is 150,000..why must they put 5,000 people on it???)

3. dedicated areas for adults (including a pool)

4. with a better passenger ratio...that would free up more space for things other than cabins.

5. solo cabins like NCL has.

If I am on a cruise ship, I want to know that I am on a cruise ship. I don't want something so big that I get the feeling I am still "in town"....

Every CCL cruise is different. That is because each one has new cutbacks. last summer, saw the loss of the gala buffet and the captains cocktail party. Of course, the carnival cheerleaders came out and defended these cuts, saying the buffet was a waste of food and that the "farewell party" was just as good as the captains party (even though it is sparsely attended) plus CCL gave a $1 off their over priced drinls during the elegant night.

I was on on the Legend laqst week- no $1 off drinks during first elegant, the 'farewell' event was barely mentioned in the Fun Times and no mention of free drinks was there. I talked to repeat cruisers who had no idea of what it was. This Cahill's plan- get rid of free drinks and charged more for all drinks.

Also, I never saw a house band, not once. On sea days, prerecorded music was played at the pool area- no live band!

Also, no mention of free espresso/capuccino on the breakfast menu. Bet they'll start charging for that soon.

This puzzles me also, Luv.

Possibly the "if it ain't broke, why fix it" syndrome. I was a little disappointed in the SPLENDOR being just more and more of the same, just BIGGER. If the DREAM and the MAGIC become just another BIGGER ship with identical cabins, nearly identical layout to the CONQUEST class, I'll be disappointed in Carnival even more. Its starting to take-on a "cookie cutter" shape, IMHO.

If Carnival wants to charge the SOLO cruiser 200%, how about a unique ship that has a layer of teeny tiny cabins (100 sq ft like the NCL EPIC) that would justify the high price for a SOLO cruiser. Basically, we're never in them except to sleep, shower and change clothes anyway.:rolleyes:

I'm not crazy about the huge megaships with shopping centers, but would find an "inside" cabin with a window to a center mall, very interesting. :rolleyes:

Its funny you note your disappointment with Splendor. When I first heard about it I was so excited!! Then I saw the layout. (sigh)

When I heard about the Dream I was ecstatic! They touted it as their most innovative ship ever. I was like "Yes, this is it!! Finally, what I've been waiting for!!"....then I saw the layout. (deeper sigh)

I thought the solo cabins on NCL were a brilliant idea. I know some say they hate them, but I think they're adorable and a smart move by NCL. I don't cruise solo, but I would just for that cabin and that amazing ship. Just to get the experience.

In thinking about this, I wonder if Carnival CORPORATION has decided to allow the "sister cruise line" concept provide the diversity.

For example, Yachts of Seaborne for the smaller ship experience. Cunard for the HUGE Ocean Liner experience.... etc etc etc

With 8 different cruise lines in Carnival Corp fleet....perhaps Carnival "cruise line" does not feel like they have to be all things to all people....

Have a great time on the Dream. I love the Spa cabins!!!

True, this makes sense. And I agree that would be a smart idea. But wouldn't Carnival Cruise Line be the one to be home of the mega ship? I can't imagine it being on Cunard or HAL lol! Maybe it could go to Princess...

Believe it or not I am excited for the Dream! I know I'm going to have a great time, I always do on a Carnival cruise :D

Personally, I would like to see a better designed 150,000 size ship (instead of just BIGGER) with:

1. proper ventilation in designated smoking areas

2. a better passenger ratio (just because it is 150,000..why must they put 5,000 people on it???)

3. dedicated areas for adults (including a pool)

4. with a better passenger ratio...that would free up more space for things other than cabins.

5. solo cabins like NCL has.

If I am on a cruise ship, I want to know that I am on a cruise ship. I don't want something so big that I get the feeling I am still "in town"....

This is a good point too. A better designed 150,000 ton shop would be an extremely welcome change. I love all of your ideas and ESPECIALLY agree with number 2!! No sense in making a ship a few tons bigger and then adding another 2,000 people to it! I don't think they realize how important the passenger to space ration is.

Also I would love them to change the layout of the Lido deck. The buffet lines just maximize crowding and wait times. The buffet stations seem to be a much better idea.

Its funny you note your disappointment with Splendor. When I first heard about it I was so excited!! Then I saw the layout. (sigh)

When I heard about the Dream I was ecstatic! They touted it as their most innovative ship ever. I was like "Yes, this is it!! Finally, what I've been waiting for!!"....then I saw the layout. (deeper sigh)

I thought the solo cabins on NCL were a brilliant idea. I know some say they hate them, but I think they're adorable and a smart move by NCL. I don't cruise solo, but I would just for that cabin and that amazing ship. Just to get the experience.

True, this makes sense. And I agree that would be a smart idea. But wouldn't Carnival Cruise Line be the one to be home of the mega ship? I can't imagine it being on Cunard or HAL lol! Maybe it could go to Princess...

Believe it or not I am excited for the Dream! I know I'm going to have a great time, I always do on a Carnival cruise :D

This is a good point too. A better designed 150,000 ton shop would be an extremely welcome change. I love all of your ideas and ESPECIALLY agree with number 2!! No sense in making a ship a few tons bigger and then adding another 2,000 people to it! I don't think they realize how important the passenger to space ration is.

Also I would love them to change the layout of the Lido deck. The buffet lines just maximize crowding and wait times. The buffet stations seem to be a much better idea.

I agree with your comments and the other posters who posted similar thoughts.

It seems CCL is definitely trying to win the new cruiser....We 'long time' cruisers can't have been much of a consideration when they designed the new ships...unless they assumed we'd be OK to have the same-old thing.

Ddin't they ever consider for a minute that we may eventually become bored?????:confused:

Do they also think us stupid?? Creating a mega ship with less space per passenger isn't appealing to most adults, I would think....so what are they thinking??? Even if they get that 'new' passenger on the new ship, if that passenger feels a little claustrophobic on top of possibly being disappointed in lack of activities or live music on board, what's going to make them come back for seconds???

I love CCL, I hate seeing them make these stupid decisions.

I didn't care about the Gala Buffets disappearing...they were a waste. I understood the fuel surcharge. I'd understand if drink prices went up....I never smuggled, so I don't even care that they are now more strict with that...BUT make me feel crowded, take away my live music and give me less activity options than other lines and I will likely be cruising CCL a LOT less. :(

BUT make me feel crowded, take away my live music and give me less activity options than other lines and I will likely be cruising CCL a LOT less. :(

Is this for rooms or the whole ship in General? I dislike crowds. It brings out a herd mentality. I understand there are places that are nice and people dont venture as much but are you saying the ship overall is crowded?

Is this for rooms or the whole ship in General? I dislike crowds. It brings out a herd mentality. I understand there are places that are nice and people dont venture as much but are you saying the ship overall is crowded?

The Dream?????? I haven't been on the Dream, so I can't comment. The problem is that knowing the space ratio per passenger keeps me from booking it....hence my comments about who CCL is trying to draw to their product.

The most space I ever felt I had on a CCL ship was the smallest CCL ship I sailed on...the Holiday. I never felt crowded anywhere on that ship.

The Spirit Class ships are ok....I didn't like the Fantasy Class at all. Didn't have an urge to try Conquest Class and feel the same about the new ships.

jmo.

I agree with your comments and the other posters who posted similar thoughts.

It seems CCL is definitely trying to win the new cruiser....We 'long time' cruisers can't have been much of a consideration when they designed the new ships...unless they assumed we'd be OK to have the same-old thing.

Ddin't they ever consider for a minute that we may eventually become bored?????:confused:

Do they also think us stupid?? Creating a mega ship with less space per passenger isn't appealing to most adults, I would think....so what are they thinking??? Even if they get that 'new' passenger on the new ship, if that passenger feels a little claustrophobic on top of possibly being disappointed in lack of activities or live music on board, what's going to make them come back for seconds???

I love CCL, I hate seeing them make these stupid decisions.

I didn't care about the Gala Buffets disappearing...they were a waste. I understood the fuel surcharge. I'd understand if drink prices went up....I never smuggled, so I don't even care that they are now more strict with that...BUT make me feel crowded, take away my live music and give me less activity options than other lines and I will likely be cruising CCL a LOT less. :(

Agree with everything you said :)

The rooms are about as spacious as you will get on a cruise. This is a category Carnival has won time and time again. Just recently has RCI made their cabins bigger, so on their newer ships the rooms are also a nice size. You should be fine in your room.

The crowding is in the public areas. But you're sailing on the Carnival Pride, my favorite ship in the entire fleet. I never felt crowded on that ship. You'll be fine. The crowding issues come with the larger ships.

The rooms are about as spacious as you will get on a cruise. This is a category Carnival has won time and time again. Just recently has RCI made their cabins bigger, so on their newer ships the rooms are also a nice size. You should be fine in your room.

The crowding is in the public areas. But you're sailing on the Carnival Pride, my favorite ship in the entire fleet. I never felt crowded on that ship. You'll be fine. The crowding issues come with the larger ships.

As to CCL vs RCCL cabins size? We just paid a premium price for the Independence of the Seas lowest category (other than steerage:)) Just a little less than 200 per person per day on a 14 nite cruise on RCCL's second newest and the worlds second largest cruise ship, the Independence of the Seas. The cabin size?

152 square feet.

Other than a few exceptions, an inside cabin on ANY CCL ship old or new is a minimum 180-185 square feet.

In my opinion, this, and the quality of Carnival's food are two of their biggest strengths VS RCCL...But Carnival can't compete with RCCL in quality of their newer ships; or the activities they offer. That and the itinerary (and being with great travel friends) is why we are paying more than we normally do for a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I get emails from a large group of people that cruise together and according to the email Carnival is backing off of large group bookings.

So you tick off the solo cruisers, back off the large groups who are they going to alienate next?

Archived