HAL Hotel in Vancouver

westlab

Vancouver is the only city with multiple Fairmonts.

The Fairmont Waterfront, Fairmont hotel Vancouver, and Fairmont Pacific Rim are all within 1-3 minutes walking distance from Canada Place. The Fairmont at the airport, not so much; then there's also the Fairmont Chateau Whistler (not in Vancouver, but also popular for a pre or post Alaska Cruise stay).

HAL usually uses the Fairmont Waterfront.

Stayed at the Fairmont in 1997 when we cruised Alaska. Back then, it was a 5-star hotel, lovely. In 2000, it made the list of the top 100 hotels in the world.

A few months after we stayed there, Prince Charles and his sons stayed there (though his accommodations were no doubt the highest price suite in the place, while ours was a mere $300 a night. And that was a discounted rate! My husband almost fainted when checking out after a 6 night stay, since I hadn't told him the nightly rate. Only time he failed to ask.)

Does anyone know what the room rates are now? I do remember the rooms were h-u-g-e and the bathrooms were marble.

SevenSeasNomad, the rates are about the same now. City view C$270+tax, harbour view $320, "gold" rooms with private lounge $400 up. Discounts for advance purchase (no refund) can save you $100 a night.

I stayed at both the Fairmont Waterfront and the Pan Pacific last summer, and the Pan was much better. Part of that was due to HAL traffic volume turning the Fairmont into a circus on sailing days.

The Fairmont Waterfront is where our TA booked us. Our very first Cruisetour. So excited.

It is a nice property from what I've seen. Haven't stayed there yet, but EVERYONE I've dealt with so far has been fabulous! My preference was the Pan Pacific, but I am already extremely impressed with the service I've gotten from the Fairmont, so no longer feel it is "second best" :)

Do check out the room service menu on their website :eek: I'll be schlepping to the food court 1/2 block away to eat, I think :)

Do check out the room service menu on their website :eek: I'll be schlepping to the food court 1/2 block away to eat, I think :)

Cow Princess, there's a Tim Hortons right next door. It's in a below grade courtyard (go down quite a few steps) with a nice fountain. Beautiful spot to eat a breakfast sandwich and drink your morning Timmie's.

American readers - Tim Hortons is a Canadian institution with market penetration McDonald's can only dream about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons

I booked a room at the Fairmont Waterfront online only yesterday. They offer AAA/CAA and seniors' discounts. The discounted rates, while not inexpensive, are competive and much less than the Pan Pacific's (I checked their discounted rates, also). We have stayed at both, and like both of them.

Cow Princess, there's a Tim Hortons right next door. It's in a below grade courtyard (go down quite a few steps) with a nice fountain. Beautiful spot to eat a breakfast sandwich and drink your morning Timmie's.

American readers - Tim Hortons is a Canadian institution with market penetration McDonald's can only dream about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons

Thanks Fannish. I know the place -- that's where I was referring to. NO WAY will I be eating in that courtyard. On returning from an Alaska cruise many years ago, a friend and I were hanging out, enjoying the courtyard before going to the airport for our flight. Uh, how to put this delicately -- a seagull "got" me :) EWWWWWWWWW!!!!! And I had to wash my hair in one of the public bathrooms in the underground mall :)

This intrigues me -- did you check it out when you stayed?

http://www.fairmont.com/waterfront/GuestServices/Restaurants/HerbGardenhoneybees.htm

EWWWW is right!

Sorry, forgot we chatted about that Timmie's before. Your story brings it back to me :o

No, didn't try that. Sorry. I collapsed in the room after my flight, and only came up for air and Pepsi.

After re-reading my post above, didn't mean to run down the Fairmont. I think any hotel would have *some* trouble dealing with a ravening horde of embarking/debarking pax. Needless to say, Fairmont does a MUCH better job than Canada Place did on May weekends. :eek:

Rooms are wonderful, the service is top notch, and having your bags magically whisked from inside your locked room right to your cabin is beyond belief.

The people I shared the hotel room with were in a different cabin. I had visions of searching the ship, calling out for my bags, like a lost cat. Of course they arrived exactly when and where they should.

After re-reading my post above, didn't mean to run down the Fairmont. I think any hotel would have *some* trouble dealing with a ravening horde of embarking/debarking pax. Needless to say, Fairmont does a MUCH better job than Canada Place did on May weekends

Didn't sound at ALL like you were dissing the Fairmont. Just stating the facts. It'll be interesting to see how it works out, but I'm taking GREAT comfort in not needing a cab for embarkation day :)

The Fairmont Waterfront is fantastic, but the new Fairmont Pacific Rim is OUTSTANDING! It won't be rated for another year, but will likely receive the highest rating of any property in Vancouver. The overall environment is best described as a very modern North American style fusion of both European and Asian influence (I've stayed in upscale properties in all three regions).

IF you can change your reservation to the Fairmont Pacific Rim (just up the street from the Fairmont Waterfront, maybe a couple blocks if that) I encourage you to do so. If you can't, your stay at the Fairmont Waterfront will still be an enjoyable experience.

The Fairmont Waterfront is fantastic, but the new Fairmont Pacific Rim is OUTSTANDING! It won't be rated for another year, but will likely receive the highest rating of any property in Vancouver. The overall environment is best described as a very modern North American style fusion of both European and Asian influence (I've stayed in upscale properties in all three regions).

IF you can change your reservation to the Fairmont Pacific Rim (just up the street from the Fairmont Waterfront, maybe a couple blocks if that) I encourage you to do so. If you can't, your stay at the Fairmont Waterfront will still be an enjoyable experience.

Thanks, can't change as the whole purpose of booking a hotel that was more than I can afford was for the proximity to the cruise terminal and the assistance they are providing with luggage and wheelchair. Another time!

What is the transport from the airport to one of these hotels? Is there a hotel shuttle, taxi or train?

One of my possible itineraries is squeezing on the Oosterdam for the Pacific cruise.

I don't know of any downtown Vancouver hotels that offer a shuttle. There's a "downtown shuttle" from the airport that costs around $17/person, that stops at the major downtown hotels. Not great, hard on the back/kidneys :), and takes a long time. There's also the Canada Line sky train from the airport, if you don't need help managing your luggage. A cab from the airport to the downtown area is around $35. If you don't have mobility issues, there are some pretty darn good hotels on Priceline that are a couple to several blocks from the port, that recent reports have going for $100 or a bit more or less.

Sutton Place and Hyatt are 2 that have been mentioned lately. I don't have the guts (yet) to Priceline -- I'm always afraid I'll end up at Joe's On the Alley offering free knife fight entertainment in the lobby :D

We got a good "early saver" rate at the Fairmont -- miles ahead of the best I could get with Pan Pacific. IMHO it is always worth calling the hotel directly (not the toll-free reservation #) to see what's available.

thank you!

I have 4 hours left to lock in a half price rate to LAX from Honolulu. so I have ExCEL out and have been trying to figure out what to do. Got a great rate to Vancouver from LAX, hopefully it holds while I put other pieces together.

We have done okay with Priceline, would you spend two nights in Vancouver? I haven't been there since the 70's. lol

Plenty to see and do in Vancouver. It is a beautiful city! Stanley Park is a full day if you are so inclined. The Art Gallery is great, especially if there's a visiting exhibit (I got Emily Carr :) ) You'd even have time to take a trip to Whistler if you wanted to rent a car.

WAY fewer hippies than in the 70s, but unfortunately way more street people :( Not many places a person can live outside year-round in Canada, so Vancouver gets a lot.

Yes, two days would be good -- what date are you looking at?

Archived