Venice--anything else I need to prepurchase?

rrobynec

How did I miss this thread? It would have saved me a lot of frustration. We did manage to book all our museum passes, Secret Itinerary and Clock tower tour and I have found, but not booked, a time for St. Marks. It is very confusing but once you figure it out, not so bad.

I have heard that unless you are sure you will use the boats often, you might be better off buying your pass when you get there. It is pretty easy to buy the extended passes at the boat stations. Venice is quite small so unless walking is difficult for you, you might find yourself walking more than using the boats. I think we will wait. I do want to experience the vapporetto's but we may not use them enough for an extended pass.

I am wondering about the Alilaguna and whether it is worth booking ahead or not. It seems even if you pay ahead, you still have to stand in line with the printout to exchange it for a ticket. Our hotel is on the Alilaguna line so its worth it for us since we do not have to go P.Roma.

Actually it's been fine as I booked a couple different tickets. Sounds like it could be an issue with your ISP.

The website worked fine on my computer when I got home. Maybe someone is trying to tell me I shouldn't be doing this stuff at work! ;)

OK, I am confused. We have our tix for the Doge's SI tour and the Basilica but from reading, I am understanding the CLOCK tower is a climbing paid tour and the BELL tower(Campanile) has an elevator & is free. They are not the same things. Is this correct???? The views that are so wonderful are from the top of the BELL tower, not the CLOCK tower correct?

Rian90: I agree about the use of vaporettos vs walking. When I was young, I walked all over. Now that I am nursing a knee, I plan on being conservative., Plus, if we only use it from ship to St Mark's and return, it pays to get the pass, as it is less than 2 single trip tickets.

Does the Vapporetto go to the port? I thought it did not. My understanding was that you must go to P. Roma and ride the People Mover, walk to the port, or take the bus offered by your cruise line. Water taxis do go to the port but I don't think the Vapporetto do. I am not sure so check this out. I would hate to find out you were stranded at the port waiting for the water bus that never came!!

Of course, maybe the pass covers a land bus that does go to the port to P.Roma but it will not go to St. Marks. You may have to transfer to the Vap at P.Roma.

Again, this is based on all my reading and what I have seen here so please, could someone who has been there and done that chime in? Thanks. :)

Does the Vapporetto go to the port? I thought it did not. My understanding was that you must go to P. Roma and ride the People Mover, walk to the port, or take the bus offered by your cruise line. Water taxis do go to the port but I don't think the Vapporetto do. I am not sure so check this out. I would hate to find out you were stranded at the port waiting for the water bus that never came!!

Of course, maybe the pass covers a land bus that does go to the port to P.Roma but it will not go to St. Marks. You may have to transfer to the Vap at P.Roma.

Again, this is based on all my reading and what I have seen here so please, could someone who has been there and done that chime in? Thanks. :)

The public Vaporettos DO NOT go to the port. They go to Tronchetto (the parking island),( you do not want Tronchetto.) and Piazzal Roma. From P Roma to the port is a few minutes and 1 euro on the people mover tram.

The private alilaguna line DOES go to the port but only from St. Mark's SQ. 6.5 euros each way and scheduled service every 30 minutes.

This is what I am referring to. These are 2 separate buildings. As the articles state, you climb the clock tower but there is an elevator in the Campanile and it is free where the clock tower is a paid tour. They are both in St. Mark's Square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark%27s_Campanile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark%27s_Clocktower

Rian90: I actually plan to take the people mover to P. Roma then use my pass to go to St Mark's and then reverse that to return to the ship. And since we are there overnite, I hope to do the same thing the next day... barring any mishaps.

Don't know when you are there, but we finally realized that with an hour+ trip from ship to St Mark's and doing what we want there, then allowing for trip back to ship, etc, the time is really going to disappear quickly. So many people say that it is great to just wander, and 'get lost' that I would forgo the clock tower. Perhaps on your next trip ;)? Always good to have something to see next time...

Plus, their schedule didn't really fit for us.[Guided tours in English: at 09.00, 10.00 and 11.00 AM on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and at 13.00, 14.00 and 15.00 PM on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. ]

Daryle Ann we arrive on Sunday 11/7 @ noon for 3 nights then board the ship on Wednesday but it overnights 1 more night & we sail @ 1 pm on Thursday, so we have plenty of time, just wondering how worth it, it is to see the insides of a clock with so many other things to see & do.

Alilaguna will not stop at PRoma, but there is one line from the airport that stops at the train station across the Grande Canal from PRoma, I think it is the orange line. It is said to be a hike up/down the steps on the bridge to P Roma with luggage.

I apologize, I was mistaken, there does not appear to be alilaguna from the airport to the train station, I was looking at the wrong canal :o I can see it is going to be fun trying to find our way around :eek:

Archived