Venice--anything else I need to prepurchase?

rrobynec

Freckles- I don't recall what I.D. I used online I know that part... it took a few tries, wasn't there an i.d. code that came up when you entered info on the line?(may have entered country,city??)

I did not use D.Lic. or Passport info while booking nor did I have to show any I.D. at the entrance.

Freckles- I don't recall what I.D. I used online I know that part... it took a few tries, wasn't there an i.d. code that came up when you entered info on the line?(may have entered country,city??)

I did not use D.Lic. or Passport info while booking nor did I have to show any I.D. at the entrance.

Thanks for the info canuck.qc I haven't actually purchased yet but did a dummy try to see what info they wanted, then sent an email to ask what sort of ID they wanted and they told me to use passport number. I didn't like that idea :( I'll see what happens when I actually go to purchase. Thanks again.

canuck.qc gives it in post #17. It takes a bit of fooling around but I have finally gotten to the correct site. Here is where I got to, then you pick the date you want. (know Italian? If not, it is set at June... go one at a time to get where you want;))

http://www.vivaticket.it/evento.php?id_evento=409912&idt=566&op=museiCivici

If you are over 65 Italy allows anyone - any nationality the reduced rate, altho some sites do not state that.

Good luck.

Thank you that was helpful.

Robyn: You've gotten great advice on tours so let me address the AP transportation. Not sure from your post if you are in Venice overnight and trying to spread these tours over both days or if you are staying a few extra days. Either way, luggage will be a pain in Venice so plan accordinginly for that. I decided to just pay the ship's transfer (we stayed two days more in Venice before our flight). For $39 p/p, when we disembarked, we took a water shuttle to St Marks Square and all our luggage was sent separately to our hotel (St Mark's Square location) later that afternoon.

Regarding Venice AP - my experience only but my opinion is that this AP is way overtaxed and way too small to handle the passenger loads it receives. I took a water taxi from our hotel ($100 euro), 3 hours before our flight. It drops you off at the dock at AP, you then have a 7 to 9 minute walk uphill with luggage. OPening the door and it was pure chaos, long lines everywhere. Most airline counters only have room for two clerks and they do it all, check passports, print boarding passes and have to check your luggage so almost everyone has to stand in line for something. SO plan for that at the AP. As someone who lives in burbs of Wasington DC I will never bad mouth Reagan or Dulles AP again - both known for their crowds but the wait at either has never been anything compared to the zoo experienced at Venice AP. That's saying a lot. This was such a pain but in no way did I allow it to affect the fantastic cruise I had just enjoyed. Just wanted you to beware.

Robyn: You've gotten great advice on tours so let me address the AP transportation. Not sure from your post if you are in Venice overnight and trying to spread these tours over both days or if you are staying a few extra days. Either way, luggage will be a pain in Venice so plan accordinginly for that. I decided to just pay the ship's transfer (we stayed two days more in Venice before our flight). For $39 p/p, when we disembarked, we took a water shuttle to St Marks Square and all our luggage was sent separately to our hotel (St Mark's Square location) later that afternoon.

Regarding Venice AP - my experience only but my opinion is that this AP is way overtaxed and way too small to handle the passenger loads it receives. I took a water taxi from our hotel ($100 euro), 3 hours before our flight. It drops you off at the dock at AP, you then have a 7 to 9 minute walk uphill with luggage. OPening the door and it was pure chaos, long lines everywhere. Most airline counters only have room for two clerks and they do it all, check passports, print boarding passes and have to check your luggage so almost everyone has to stand in line for something. SO plan for that at the AP. As someone who lives in burbs of Wasington DC I will never bad mouth Reagan or Dulles AP again - both known for their crowds but the wait at either has never been anything compared to the zoo experienced at Venice AP. That's saying a lot. This was such a pain but in no way did I allow it to affect the fantastic cruise I had just enjoyed. Just wanted you to beware.

Thanks for the warning! I am doing 2 days precruise in Venice, have one day there as part of my B2B, and then leave for the airport upon disembarking. My flight is at 2pm, so I should have plenty of time (I hope!).

Does anyone know if NCL has transport to the AP, and if so how much is it?

Might just be easier that way.

Also, I haven't heard from anyone about the VAP pass. Is it worthwhile? Should I prepurchase?

Can it be used for two days in a row, and then again 7 days later?

:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.veniceconnected.com/how-use-veniceconnected-services-venice is where you can pre-order a vap pass. Get one that is good for period of time that you are there the longest. Ask them if you can get several and they might be good from when you validate them. Worth it to pre-order.

time at airport: I sure would leave a lot earlier than the 3 hrs as you are supposed to check in 3 hrs before take off. When we were in Spain, they actually closed the line at the 3 hr mark. LOTS of upset tourists... mostly Americans. As for the zoo... when we entered S.A. airports, the lines began at the door - and people were there telling you which next line to get into... for someone claustrophobic, it was h**l :eek:.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking of getting a vap pass from veniceconnected for 24 hrs since our cruise is there overnight (3:30pm arrive, depart 5:00pm next day). Since you have to choose a day to buy the pass, I'm assuming that the 24 hr pass will be good from when it's activated (ie. 24 hrs = 5pm Thursday to 5pm Friday)? Or will I need to buy one for each day? Thanks!

We just stood in (long) line for the Bell Tower. People sometimes get impatient and pushy (to get ahead in line) but still good - you're in Venice!

Don't know why the time suggestions other than perhaps for shorter line up. That said - do not be up there at noon. We quickly got in the line down (much shorter) but counted down the minutes and escaped at 11:58.

On the hour the bells strike. At noon - repeatedly! The bells are *huge* and immediately above your head - bring ear plugs and enjoy.

The lagoon views are spectactular. Can be tricky to get pictures of someone inside and a view out the 'window' background as the light difference is strong. I'll try to dig out a shot and post though as it is really beautiful. Sadly there are screens covering the window openings for obvious reasons but you get used to it. You likely will not stay up the tower long but the views are very nice if the line is not too long.

I'm assuming you have to climb stairs in the bell tower? Is there an elevator? Sorry..silly questions, I guess, but I recently had surgery on my achilles tendon, so trying to judge what I can and can't do.

I'm assuming you have to climb stairs in the bell tower? Is there an elevator? Sorry..silly questions, I guess, but I recently had surgery on my achilles tendon, so trying to judge what I can and can't do.

I read that there is an elevator! Makes it easier for those of us who can't climb a lot!!

Vaporetto pass good for "24 hours" as it says. Recent returnee said they could not get several for different times, as it is validated when you pick it up at P. Roma. Since you have to be on board a wee bit before sailing, 24 hrs will work fine.

Thanks to the great info here, I've bought my vaporetto passes.

Can I use these to get from the airport to P.R.?

On a side note, I'm trying to access the vivaticket site to buy my other tickets, and it won't open.....:(

You're not kidding about it being confusing! I guess I'll buy passes for the aligura (sp?) at the airport to get to PR or just take a land taxi....

I don't see any links to buy passes for doge's palace or clock tower on veniceconnected. Am I missing it?

thanks!

Nope, you're on the wrong site - Secret Itin is here:

Clock Tower is here:

http://www.vivaticket.it/evento.php?id_evento=409767&idt=567&op=museiCivici

but you'll need a vivaticket account to purchase the tickets - sign up was actually quite easy and quick

I don't see any links to buy passes for doge's palace or clock tower on veniceconnected. Am I missing it?

thanks!

Nope, you're on the wrong site - Secret Itin is here:

Clock Tower is here:

http://www.vivaticket.it/evento.php?id_evento=409767&idt=567&op=museiCivici

but you'll need a vivaticket account to purchase the tickets - sign up was actually quite easy and quick

That's the website I've been trying to access all day and it's down....

You're not kidding about it being confusing! I guess I'll buy passes for the aligura (sp?) at the airport to get to PR or just take a land taxi....

thanks!

Alilaguna will not stop at PRoma, but there is one line from the airport that stops at the train station across the Grande Canal from PRoma, I think it is the orange line. It is said to be a hike up/down the steps on the bridge to P Roma with luggage.

It seems to me that if you want to get from the airport to PRoma the easy economical way then use the ATVO express coach - 3 Euro

Archived