Venice--anything else I need to prepurchase?

rrobynec

I have already booked St. Mark's Basilico, the museum pass and Doge's Palace secret Itinerary tour.:D

Is there anything else that anyone recommends prebooking, like the vaporetto/transportation pass?

Also, my flight leaves at 2pm, which gives us plenty of time to get to the airport (I think). Should I prearrange for transport, or just plan well?

Thanks!

We have not been to Venice yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

We have the bell tower prebooked. It is across from the Bascilica. It is supposed to have great views of Venice.

Did you book the secret itinerary tour of Doge Palace?

We have the bell tower prebooked. It is across from the Bascilica. It is supposed to have great views of Venice.

I have already booked ... Doge's Palace secret Itinerary tour.:D

Good suggestion about the clock tower. I went on tripadvisor and checked out the reviews. Since there are very limited English tours, I decided it would be worthwhile to book ahead.

Thanks!:D

Good suggestion about the clock tower. I went on tripadvisor and checked out the reviews. Since there are very limited English tours, I decided it would be worthwhile to book ahead.

Thanks!:D

? What is the Secret Doge's tour? Website pls

Thanks

Carole

Doge's Palace(Palazzo Ducale) and the Secret Itinerary Tour is one of the top destinations in Venice. I believe you need to book ahead--there are different times for the English tour.

For more on the subject check out the links below:

http://www.italyguides.it/us/venice_italy/doge_s_palace/doge_s_palace.htm

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/venice/review-98619.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187870-d194251-Reviews-Doge_s_Palace_Palazzo_Ducale-Venice_Veneto.html

Hi folks, we just got back from Venice and the Venice Connect Vaporetto pass is well worth it. The S.Itinerary Tour is great, you go thru a separate line and once the tour is over you can visit the rest of the Palace on your own. There are 2 possibly 3 eng. tours a day, ours was at 11:45. Anything you book online will save you time and often money. What you have booked are the sites with the longest lines, any other places can be done once you are there. There are musical concert events in a few churches where tickets are available the day of. Sites such as Murano, Burano...is a vaporetto ride away. (our hotels offered a free taxi to Murano)

We have booked St Marks and the Secret tour. I have spoken with several people and the bell tower tour is not a must book ahead. I have read do it at 9 in the morning or 5 at nite for the best viewing. My sister did this tour in September last year and she walked right on, no lines. I guess it's up to you. If you want to make sure, book it. We will wait til we get there.

......................................... Sites such as Murano, Burano...is a vaporetto ride away. (our hotels offered a free taxi to Murano)

We took the "FREE" taxi to Murano for a visit to a glass factory. They held us hostage and kept trying to get us to buy expensive things. One in our party was a doctor and they stuck to him like glue. It took them over an hour to call us a water taxi back to the hotel.

My advice is to take a vaporetto to Murano and go to the village and buy your glass there. One of our bunch bought a clown at the factory and then saw the identical thing in the village for half the price.

We have booked St Marks and the Secret tour. I have spoken with several people and the bell tower tour is not a must book ahead. I have read do it at 9 in the morning or 5 at nite for the best viewing. My sister did this tour in September last year and she walked right on, no lines. I guess it's up to you. If you want to make sure, book it. We will wait til we get there.

We just stood in (long) line for the Bell Tower. People sometimes get impatient and pushy (to get ahead in line) but still good - you're in Venice!

Don't know why the time suggestions other than perhaps for shorter line up. That said - do not be up there at noon. We quickly got in the line down (much shorter) but counted down the minutes and escaped at 11:58.

On the hour the bells strike. At noon - repeatedly! The bells are *huge* and immediately above your head - bring ear plugs and enjoy.

The lagoon views are spectactular. Can be tricky to get pictures of someone inside and a view out the 'window' background as the light difference is strong. I'll try to dig out a shot and post though as it is really beautiful. Sadly there are screens covering the window openings for obvious reasons but you get used to it. You likely will not stay up the tower long but the views are very nice if the line is not too long.

Margord-

Go to 'vivatickets' then follow museum tickets....'secret itinerary' doges palace. Rather complicated...but if I can do it you can! Once there you redeem voucher for a ticket & colored sticker at the entrance. You should get there early to walk around inside. You then wait for your assigned guide who will identify you by your sticker. If you bought a vap. pass you qualify for a reduced price.

Ethel5-

Regarding the free taxi. It is worth it for the trip there, great boat ride & tour. We just walked right thru the factory unintimidated. A tourist must get used to this type of HARD-SELL. We then hopped on a vaporetto to Burano & then to the Lido & back to StMark.

Margord-

Go to 'vivatickets' then follow museum tickets....'secret itinerary' doges palace. Rather complicated...but if I can do it you can! Once there you redeem voucher for a ticket & colored sticker at the entrance. You should get there early to walk around inside. You then wait for your assigned guide who will identify you by your sticker. If you bought a vap. pass you qualify for a reduced price.

Thanks so much for the information. Please tell me what a vap. pass is and how you get it and how much it is.

Marilee

Ethel5-

Regarding the free taxi. It is worth it for the trip there, great boat ride & tour. We just walked right thru the factory unintimidated. A tourist must get used to this type of HARD-SELL. We then hopped on a vaporetto to Burano & then to the Lido & back to StMark.

I wasn't intimidated-just very annoyed! Next time I will take a regular vaporetto and do Murano on my own.

canuck: if I have purchased a vap pass, do I have to wait until I get to Doges to get the discount for the secret tour? Can I reserve the ticket online and then get the discount?;)

Wonder what the line situation will be in early Nov. with 2 additional ships with us?:eek:

Thanks.

Daryleann- When you are on the website for DogesSe.Itin. they will ask example: student, veniceconnected pass holder,etc... you click on the price linked to the Ven.Conn.

you will see the different ticket prices. The discount is when you by online. I can't say what the lines are like in Nov. but

buying online saves time & money, plus this tour is given

a few times a day & groups of 15-20 persons max. in the high season. It is always best to by online to insure a tour.

here is the website :http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/

your vap. pass is at veniceconnected.com

I have clicked on everything I can see - get the reduced rate for seniors (yippee!) but do not get anything that asks if holding a pass. When I click on the veniceconnected, it only gives me the museum pass (I guess it is better to go on the secret itin. than to another museum, as I can't just buy a ticket to the Doges Palace.)

And it looks like I have to be in the area different days to see the clock tower in English. Can I do it without the tour???

Will try it again tomorrow... maybe I am smarter in the daylite...:cool:

Margord-

canuck.qc

I'm just curious as to what ID you used when purchasing online at vivatickets? Did you use passport or driver's licence or what?

Did they ask you to show that ID when you presented your prepurchased ticket at Doge's Palace?

Margord-

Ethel5-

Maybe I am being a little dumb but what is the website for vivatickets?

canuck.qc gives it in post #17. It takes a bit of fooling around but I have finally gotten to the correct site. Here is where I got to, then you pick the date you want. (know Italian? If not, it is set at June... go one at a time to get where you want;))

http://www.vivaticket.it/evento.php?id_evento=409912&idt=566&op=museiCivici

If you are over 65 Italy allows anyone - any nationality the reduced rate, altho some sites do not state that.

Good luck.

It doesn't change the months in the calendar (or the types of ticket), just the important info. One usually has to deduce some of the info, but there are several who do have some Italian knowledge, if you are having troubles, so just ask.(should make it a new thread to get attention)

Or you could try this page http://www.smartphrase.com/Italian/italian.shtml

a presto

We have not been to Venice yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

How did you book the bell tower,all i can find is about dodge s palace secret tour.

Archived