Piraeus port map and where does Princess dock?

lrcruising

Here's a google map with walking directions from the terminal where we docked (A) with Celebrity & Azamara to the metro (B). Map

p.s. here's a photo from Tripadvisor of the pedestrian bridge that crosses from the street (from the water side) to the metro station: Photo

There are some other photos below that one of the metro station, outside and in.

Susan, nice map and picture!

lrcruising, we did this walk about 2 weeks ago. I was really nervous about getting lost and almost decided to do the ship's tour, but in the end we went for it. I worried for no reason ! The directions that have been posted worked perfectly. We walked past the taxi gauntlet, took a left and followed the road next to the harbor, past the ships, past the ferries, and lo and behold, there was the escalator. The walk took us about 30 minutes. There were about 15 others walking as well, that we passed or they passed us. We cruisers certainly stand out!

We exited at Monistiraki. As soon as we got out of the station, we saw the Parthenon. What a thrill! We weren't sure how to get there so we just started walking up the street in that direction. Soon enough we came across others and soon enough we were at the ticket booth. The climb was much easier than I expected.

After the Parthenon we walked back to the station and decided we had enough time to see the Changing of the Guard, so we followed the main street and were there in about 15 minutes. Don't miss this ! Then we walked back to the station, stopping at the Plaka for a few. We're not shoppers. The train back was simple; just follow the signs in the station that say to Pireaus.

Saved a fortune and we were very proud of our accomplishment !

Have a great trip !

Susan, nice map and picture!

lrcruising, we did this walk about 2 weeks ago. I was really nervous about getting lost and almost decided to do the ship's tour, but in the end we went for it. I worried for no reason ! The directions that have been posted worked perfectly. We walked past the taxi gauntlet, took a left and followed the road next to the harbor, past the ships, past the ferries, and lo and behold, there was the escalator. The walk took us about 30 minutes. There were about 15 others walking as well, that we passed or they passed us. We cruisers certainly stand out!

We exited at Monistiraki. As soon as we got out of the station, we saw the Parthenon. What a thrill! We weren't sure how to get there so we just started walking up the street in that direction. Soon enough we came across others and soon enough we were at the ticket booth. The climb was much easier than I expected.

After the Parthenon we walked back to the station and decided we had enough time to see the Changing of the Guard, so we followed the main street and were there in about 15 minutes. Don't miss this ! Then we walked back to the station, stopping at the Plaka for a few. We're not shoppers. The train back was simple; just follow the signs in the station that say to Pireaus.

Saved a fortune and we were very proud of our accomplishment !

Have a great trip !

Sounds nice! Unfortunately when we were on the Ruby in May Princess canceled our stop in Athens because a demonstration was scheduled for that day. (Of course I understand why they decided to do that.) We did get an extra day in Venice but were disappointed to miss Athens. Our roll call group had several private tours arranged with one company & that company lost a few thousand Euros that day due to our cancellations. :(

Anyone have a good port map oof Piraeus and where the Ruby Princess "may" dock. We are trying to get from the pier to the Metro (green Line) station.

Piraeus is a very large port. On our trip last summer we docked at probably the farthest point from the terminal. There was a port shuttle that picked us up and brought us to the terminal building. The shuttle trip was only a couple of minutes but I bet it would have been a 10 minute walk...

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a google map with walking directions from the terminal where we docked (A) with Celebrity & Azamara to the metro (B). Map

What about a map from cruise terminal A to the express bus X96 terminal (for ATH airport)? How long does it take to walk? Is there a shuttle service? Thanks!

I've always thought that this is the best map of Piraeus. It's the map that's available on the port authority's web site. It's also a PDF so it's easy to download & save so you can print it out, and of course is re-sizeable (on-screen) to a considerable degree.

Traditionally, cruise ships have docked at or around point E11 by Cruise Terminal A (lower-middle part of the map). On a visit in 2007 on Galaxy, we docked there, and I saw Zenith (already with Pullmantur at that time) in the same area. On a recent visit (autumn 2009) I'm pretty sure I saw a Princess ship - can't remember which one, but it was definitely one of the Grand class - in that area.

However, larger cruise ships - e.g. Solstice, which we were on - now dock at Cruise Terminal B (lower left-hand side of the map. I would say that it's a more than a mile from there round to the metro station, which is near point E5.

What about a map from cruise terminal A to the express bus X96 terminal (for ATH airport)? How long does it take to walk? Is there a shuttle service? Thanks!

It's 1 mile (if you are docked at E11), so about a 20 minutes walk (the bus stop is in the vicinity of E8 on Tom's map above.) Here's the revised google map with walking directions to where you would catch X96.

Not sure about a shuttle, but on Tom's map, it shows that the shuttle only runs between E1 and E5. However, others here have mentioned city bus #843, but you need to buy a ticket in advance (at a nearby store or kiosk I think).

Re the cruise terminal that is furthest away (E12) vs. E11 in Tom's map ... add about another 7-8 minutes for walking (after taking the shuttle out of the port)- it's 1.4 miles to the Metro Station and 1.2 to the X96 bus stop.

Tom - yes, that is a good map. It doesn't give an indication of distances, but otherwise a clear picture of the port. The metro is at the Pedestrian Bridge, just below E5.

It's 1 mile (if you are docked at E11), so about a 20 minutes walk (the bus stop is in the vicinity of E8 on Tom's map above.) Here's the revised google map with walking directions to where you would catch X96.

Thanks a lot for this! And Tom's map is excellent as well.

So for the walk from E11 to E8, is it easy with wheeled suitcases (just 1 per person)? I think I read somewhere the walk is on an elevated walkway; are there stairs to negotiate, and are elevators and/or escalators available at both ends?

You're welcome.:)

The only elevated part that I'm aware of is the pedestrian bridge that crosses from the port side to the Metro station. It has escalator stairs.

The sidewalks are normal ones ... that area is busy with both vehicle and pedestrian traffic, but walking along the sidewalk shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure I would say it's easy with a suitcase, but it is a fairly level walk... it will depend on your ability. I could do it if necessary, but I might be grumbling a bit along the way. I'm used to it though .. DH and I tend to go the DIY route when possible, even if it doesn't always always make a lot of sense.:)

Not sure if you've seen this info/routemap which might be of help.

The Piraeus Tripadvisor Forum has a number of threads on X96 - if you do a search of X96 in the box beside "Search In > Piraeus Forums", the threads will come up. (It's the search box part way down the page, and not the one at the top.)

P.S. Noticed on the TA forum that the bus stop for X96 is in Karaiskakis Square, between E7 & E8 on Tom's map.

I've always thought that this is the best map of Piraeus. It's the map that's available on the port authority's web site. It's also a PDF so it's easy to download & save so you can print it out, and of course is re-sizeable (on-screen) to a considerable degree.

Traditionally, cruise ships have docked at or around point E11 by Cruise Terminal A (lower-middle part of the map). On a visit in 2007 on Galaxy, we docked there, and I saw Zenith (already with Pullmantur at that time) in the same area. On a recent visit (autumn 2009) I'm pretty sure I saw a Princess ship - can't remember which one, but it was definitely one of the Grand class - in that area.

However, larger cruise ships - e.g. Solstice, which we were on - now dock at Cruise Terminal B (lower left-hand side of the map. I would say that it's a more than a mile from there round to the metro station, which is near point E5.

Last August HAL Noordam docked by terminal B and it was quite a walk to the subway. Take a shuttle to main terminal if your ship will dock there.

Thanks, Susan and Cruza.

My cruise will likely dock at Terminal B, so it may be better for me to take a taxi to the bus or metro stop at Karaiskaki Square (unless my cruise line provides a shuttle service there).

Susan, your google map is all in Greek. Do you speak Greek? :)

Cruza, what do you mean by taking a shuttle (from terminal B?) to the main terminal? What is considered the "main terminal"? Is it on "Tzelepis Coast" between gates E7 & E8? If so, that is right by the Karaiskakis Square, where I want to go. But I don't see a free bus transport route on the map for this. The bus route only links gates E1 to E5. Nothing is shown on the map linking gates E8 to E12.

If I take a taxi from gate E12 to E8, how much should it cost? Is bargaining usually required?

Susan, your google map is all in Greek. Do you speak Greek? :)

No.:) The directions on the map are in English (turn left, head south, etc.) but the street names are in both Greek and English alphabet... that's why you see two street names in the direction section divided by a "/". Street and road signs there will be the same (Greek and translated versions). When we were there they had separate English and Greek metro maps in the metro stations.

Re Cruza's suggestion to take the shuttle to the main terminal, I think she meant from Cruise Terminal B to Cruise Terminal A. I've never read here of a cruise line providing a shuttle to the bus or metro station.

No.:) The directions on the map are in English (turn left, head south, etc.) but the street names are in both Greek and English alphabet... that's why you see two street names in the direction section divided by a "/". Street and road signs there will be the same (Greek and translated versions). When we were there they had separate English and Greek metro maps in the metro stations.

You're absolutely right - now I see that the directions on Google map are in English/Greek. Thanks for marking the X96 bus stop, as it doesn't seem to show up on other maps. I hope it's easy to find and obvious as I approach it.

The map does clearly mark the "M" for the Piraeus metro stop that's a bit farther up than the X96 bus stop. I understand the metro (line 1, then transfer at Monastiraki to line 3 underground to airport) is an alternative to the X96 express bus. Do you have any advice about which one is better?

Do you have any advice about which one is better?

I think it's a toss-up. We've been on both the metro (without luggage) and the airport bus (from Syntagma Square to the airport). The metro will be faster but more hassle with luggage and transferring lines. The bus from Piraeus takes longer but is more convenient since you store your luggage, get on and don't have to deal with luggage again until you get to the airport. Cost comparison: bus €3.20, metro €6. On the bus, you'll get to see some of the area (X96 follows the coast for a ways, but not sure how scenic it is.) One thing I'm not sure of with the metro is how far the walk is from the metro station at the airport into the airport itself, however, the bus drops you off right at the departures area.

I think if I was making the choice, I would take the bus if I had the extra time (sounds like it's about 30 minutes longer than the metro.)

I don't think you'll have trouble finding the stop for X96 - stay on the sidewalk on the harbour side, i.e. with the water to your left and road to your right & I think it will be fairly easy to identify when you've reached E8. At that point you'll be able to see the pedestrian bridge ahead of you, that crosses over to the metro station. If you go as far as the pedestrian bridge, you've missed the stop for X96 at gate E8, but there is another one at the metro station.

• 1 month later...

A quick update, as I just finished the cruise.

We docked at cruise terminal A, and it was indeed an easy 20-minute walk to the X96 bus stop. (The taxi drivers are not keen to go a short distance, so we decided to just walk, as the weather was fine.)

There was a small ticket stand next to the bus stop to buy the ticket, or you can buy it on the bus. The bus was easy, relatively scenic, and took not much more than an hour (no traffic last Saturday morning).

By the way, the metro was not working at Piraeus due to construction last Saturday. One would have to take a shuttle bus to another metro station. I don't know how short-lived that construction would be.

sfvoyage ... thanks for the update, and glad to hear that the bus to the airport worked out well for you. Hope you had a great cruise!:)

For those concerned about disruptions to the metro/Green line, the Tripadvisor forum is a good place to check for updates. Here's a link to a thread pertaining to the current disruption. It appears that the Green line between Piraeus and the Thissio stop is scheduled to be up and running by now, but there are disruptions still on the line beyond that.

• 7 months later...

Hi am very new to this, hope someone can help. Will arrive in Pireaus aboard Celebrity Equinox on July 11 2011. Party of 4 includes Mum aged 84. WE would like to go to see the Acropolis but my Mum will obviously not be able to go up it. Can anyone advise best way to get to centre of Athens - probably taxi I suspect any indication of cost would be useful. Would need to find taverna/cafe for Mum to sit in whilst we visit Acropolis. Seems might be difficult to get taxi back? I am also considering a private tour through 'privategreecetours.com' so again any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Hi-

There is an elevator, handicapped use only, that goes to the top of the Acropolis. I don't know much about it but maybe someone on the board has used it and can offer some information about it. Your Mum might be able to use this.

<<<Karen>>>

Hi am very new to this, hope someone can help. Will arrive in Pireaus aboard Celebrity Equinox on July 11 2011. Party of 4 includes Mum aged 84. WE would like to go to see the Acropolis but my Mum will obviously not be able to go up it. Can anyone advise best way to get to centre of Athens - probably taxi I suspect any indication of cost would be useful. Would need to find taverna/cafe for Mum to sit in whilst we visit Acropolis. Seems might be difficult to get taxi back? I am also considering a private tour through 'privategreecetours.com' so again any comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Susie,

Your mum could use the elevator at The Acropolis if she has difficulty in walking your Tour Company should be able to help there.

Otherwise let your mum sit at the DIONYSOS restaurant right next to the bus parking lot at the Acropolis wonderful view of the Parthenon and pretty good coffee too :)

Susie...we are on the same cruise!! We have a very friendly rollcall and at the moment people are trying to arrange shared tours. COME AND CHAT..:D

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1225901

Archived