What to wear for Alaska dinners?

I'm prepared for days and formal nights in Alaska but am still wrestling with what to wear for regular dinners. We will be inland for a week pre-cruise so packing is a real issue. How casual can we get for dinner? Also, do I pack warm weather dinner clothes or cold weather outfits? I'm used to packing for warm weather cruise dinners but am struggling with cold weather. Any suggestions?? :eek: Thanks!

You can dress for dinner in Alaska the same way you would dress for any other cruise. The temperatures inside the ship are the same no matter where in the world you are cruising.

I'd avoid tropical clothing (of course, I generally avoid much tropical clothing anyway).

A great pair of slacks and 3 tops will be plenty, maybe throw in one jersey knit dress. When I really have to reduce the space/weight I pack from the shoes up, making sure I don't have to take shoes that only go with one outfit.

The ships laundry/dry cleaning service is great to use to reduce the amount of clothing taken for a vacation.

How casual can we get for dinner?

How casual are you wanting to go??? Wet swimsuits or pajamas, or are you just talking jeans? Since you're sailing Princess, jeans will be fine on casual evenings. But jeans are heavy to pack, and June is one of the warmer months in Alaska. I would tend to use Happyks' plan of a pair of slack or skirt with different tops for the casual evenings. You may even be fine (depending on the pants/skirt) with a coupel of dressier tops for formal evenings. And just an observation, in the traditional dining, more people are usually more formally dressed on the formal evenings. The Anytime Dining dining rooms were a little more casual.

We went to Alaska in mid-September and it was very cool that year. I took 2 pr of jeans for daytime wear (my jeans are very comfy, whereas others may not think theirs are). Still adhered to the evenings' dress codes.

How casual are you wanting to go??? Wet swimsuits or pajamas, or are you just talking jeans? Since you're sailing Princess, jeans will be fine on casual evenings. But jeans are heavy to pack, and June is one of the warmer months in Alaska. I would tend to use Happyks' plan of a pair of slack or skirt with different tops for the casual evenings. You may even be fine (depending on the pants/skirt) with a coupel of dressier tops for formal evenings. And just an observation, in the traditional dining, more people are usually more formally dressed on the formal evenings. The Anytime Dining dining rooms were a little more casual.

We went to Alaska in mid-September and it was very cool that year. I took 2 pr of jeans for daytime wear (my jeans are very comfy, whereas others may not think theirs are). Still adhered to the evenings' dress codes.

I would never wear anything like you describe in your first sentence above! I'm just trying to decided if a fashionable pair of jeans with a cute top is too casual or if I need to pack more dress pants, etc. For formal nights I have a pair of black cocktail pants and 2 different dressy tops. Yes, jeans are heavy but they are a staple of my wardrobe in cooler weather. I just don't want to have to pack wool dress pants, or cordory pants with heavy sweaters if I can help it. Most of my summer wardrobe consists of bright colored capri pants, shorts and skirts. (ie. Lilly Pulitzer)

So, it looks like I'm going to search my closet for some simple black cotton pants with a couple of tops plus a pair of white denim capris. I'll make it work. Just trying to get the most out of as few pieces as possible. thus the jean question.

Thanks!

I don't travel with jeans - too heavy (and especially in AK - if they get wet, even heavier and take forever to dry) I brought cotton & microfiber pants to AK. For casual nights, I had some nice pants & tops and dresses. I love to wear dresses - wear them all the time, work, weekends, etc. Our cruise was after Labor Day and still extremely warm - except for one port, our temps were in the upper 60s to low 80s the entire 13 days we were in Alaska. Definitely did not need wool - and I wouldn't have brought it anyway. It's not the Arctic :p And it's not winter.....Easier to layer than bring something only good for extremes...

I don't travel with jeans - too heavy (and especially in AK - if they get wet, even heavier and take forever to dry) I brought cotton & microfiber pants to AK. For casual nights, I had some nice pants & tops and dresses. I love to wear dresses - wear them all the time, work, weekends, etc. Our cruise was after Labor Day and still extremely warm - except for one port, our temps were in the upper 60s to low 80s the entire 13 days we were in Alaska. Definitely did not need wool - and I wouldn't have brought it anyway. It's not the Arctic :p And it's not winter.....Easier to layer than bring something only good for extremes...

I do have 2 pair of nylon/water-repellant convertible pants and one pair of cotton hiking type pants to bring. I just love my jeans and will be bringing at least 2 pair. I'm not wild about dresses for travel. I prefer pants/shorts. Right now the temps look coolish up there. Will keep an eye on the weather before we leave though. :)

I would never wear anything like you describe in your first sentence above!

The wet swimsuit and pajamas were overboard in my book, but there are some that think they should be able to wear these things to the MDR. When someone asks how casual can they go, they are usually looking for the lowest acceptable answer instead of what's actually appropriate on their line. Jeans are fine on Princess for casual evenings. Like I said, I took 2 pair myself - but I was on Celebrity and didn't wear them in the MDR. Jeans aren't as acceptable on X as they are on Princess.

The wet swimsuit and pajamas were overboard in my book, but there are some that think they should be able to wear these things to the MDR. When someone asks how casual can they go, they are usually looking for the lowest acceptable answer instead of what's actually appropriate on their line. Jeans are fine on Princess for casual evenings. Like I said, I took 2 pair myself - but I was on Celebrity and didn't wear them in the MDR. Jeans aren't as acceptable on X as they are on Princess.

Thanks for the clarification! I myself am constantly amazed at what some folks think is appropriate wear to a dining room!

How casual are you wanting to go??? Wet swimsuits or pajamas, or are you just talking jeans?

Just wait ... eventually someone will show up in pasties and a g-string :p and think nothing of it.

We're off for our trip in just a short time and I'm very excited about the formal nights since there are not too many opportunities (weddings and the like are about it) to get all gussied up and have the chance to have some great photos taken.

Even though all three events have past -- we will be celebrating :D both of our birthdays (one was the BIG 50 :eek:) and our wedding anniversary on this trip which we've been looking forward to for quite some time.

I've seen so many different comments about what to wear -- especially to Alaska. Who's to say what is right or what is wrong. However, if there are policies about dress, I think folks should try to follow them as closely as possible -- just my 2 cents.

Just wait ... eventually someone will show up in pasties and a g-string :p and think nothing of it.

:D:p THAT made me laugh! :D:p

OP - I'm taking jeans because that is what I'm comfy in and don't want to buy anything else just for this trip. That said, I'm also bringing two pairs of capris just in case of warmer weather. Bringing a sweatshirt, a sweater and a waterproof Carhart jacket, so I can layer if needed.

I have several nice tops that can be worn on shore OR accessorized to look dressed up and worn with a black skirt for "smart casual" dinners. Also a shawl because I get chilly in a/c.

:D:p THAT made me laugh! :D:p

OP - I'm taking jeans because that is what I'm comfy in and don't want to buy anything else just for this trip. That said, I'm also bringing two pairs of capris just in case of warmer weather. Bringing a sweatshirt, a sweater and a waterproof Carhart jacket, so I can layer if needed.

I have several nice tops that can be worn on shore OR accessorized to look dressed up and worn with a black skirt for "smart casual" dinners. Also a shawl because I get chilly in a/c.

IMO, I don't think you'll need a sweater or sweatshirt - think thin layers (pick only one if you must). They pack easier, and since you're going in July, the coldest day you'll have is the glacier day. And I hope your jacket is lightweight! Most Carharts I'm familiar with would be wayyyyy too much for July. A jacket like a windbreaker that's waterproof would serve you well. Knit gloves and maybe a knit hat for that glacier day, but probably won't need them the other days.

We're off for our trip in just a short time and I'm very excited about the formal nights since there are not too many opportunities (weddings and the like are about it) to get all gussied up and have the chance to have some great photos taken.

Even though all three events have past -- we will be celebrating :D both of our birthdays (one was the BIG 50 :eek:) and our wedding anniversary on this trip which we've been looking forward to for quite some time.

I've seen so many different comments about what to wear -- especially to Alaska. Who's to say what is right or what is wrong. However, if there are policies about dress, I think folks should try to follow them as closely as possible -- just my 2 cents.

Wait! Are you saying they are NOT exceptable :eek:?! Oh crap I have to go repack! But wait...I am going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in AUGUST so thats ok right? And I paid for my cruise so it's mine! And if they don't throw me OUT of the MDR then that means it ok RIGHT?? :D LOL :D but I do think I have read all the excuses there are as to why people can wear what ever they want.

I'm a big fan of travel knits (from Chicos, Coldwater Creek, QVC, HSN) - they fold up to almost nothing, never wrinkle and mix and match nicely. I'll even pair some wide-leg black pants with a sparkly top for formal night. Even in the Caribbean, I need long sleeves in the dining room.

I'm prepared for days and formal nights in Alaska but am still wrestling with what to wear for regular dinners. We will be inland for a week pre-cruise so packing is a real issue. How casual can we get for dinner? Also, do I pack warm weather dinner clothes or cold weather outfits? I'm used to packing for warm weather cruise dinners but am struggling with cold weather. Any suggestions?? :eek: Thanks!

Check your temps this week, plus rainfall predictions on a site like weather.com, that will probably give you the best answer to your day wear questions. They go as far foward as 10 day predictions, although we know those things can change.

It looks like you'll have some rain in AK that week, but the temps aren't all that low, high 50's to mid 60's. Different ports can have different weather patterns (like Sitka, they get far less rain than Ketchikan). I know I packed a pair of capri length pants when we cruised Alaska, plus shorts for Vancouver and I was glad I did. There were some people absolutely roasting in flannel shirts, long jeans, turtlenecks and winter coats.

Archived