I'm Sorry, but another question on the Alcohol package - Buying on board

Canuckdoc

So...Here's my question.

My understanding is that you can buy a Drink package while on board -

If you decide to buy a package a few days into your cruise, are you charged the daily price for the duration remaining, or the full cruise length?

If they charge you for the whole cruise length, do they wipe out the bar bill that you've amassed until purchasing the package?

I'm thinking that I'd go a la carte, but after a day or so into the cruise, I may realize that the package is a better deal.

You pay the full amount whenever you buy the package. I do not know but no one has said that they "wipeout" your previous bar bill and I doubt that they do. However, perhaps no one has yet asked Celebrity the question?

Sue

Our friends are just back from Eclipse and they were offered the package 3 days in with a price which was $165 less than is had been on Day One - they said the only time you could not get it was the last 2 days - each day it was $55 less than the day before which makes sense

Not sure if that was a one off as they said the bars were generally quite quiet

Uktog - thank you for that information. I was wondering if that would be the case eventually. I believe the initial word from X was that you'd still have to pay full price for the package even if you purchased it a couple of days in, but I assumed they'd quickly find out that was a bad plan. I hope to hear more reports of this as time goes on.

Our friends are just back from Eclipse and they were offered the package 3 days in with a price which was $165 less than is had been on Day One - they said the only time you could not get it was the last 2 days - each day it was $55 less than the day before which makes sense

Not sure if that was a one off as they said the bars were generally quite quiet

Will be interesting to see if this becomes the norm. Still, have just purchased a package for my husband this morning!

Sue

Not sure about buying while still in Florida, but I believe that anything you buy while still at the dock in New Jersey is subject to New Jersey state tax. I seem to remember getting some drinks before sailaway last year and seeing that extra tax on the bill, so wait to buy any package until you are underway.

Not sure about buying while still in Florida, but I believe that anything you buy while still at the dock in New Jersey is subject to New Jersey state tax. I seem to remember getting some drinks before sailaway last year and seeing that extra tax on the bill, so wait to buy any package until you are underway.

along those lines I want to say if you buy the package online before your cruise you don't pay any gratuity on it?

along those lines I want to say if you buy the package online before your cruise you don't pay any gratuity on it?

No, you pay the gratuity regardless of when you book. To me there is a huge difference between paying taxes for which you get no benefit, and gratuity for which you get an enormous benefit!

Archived