Best time to board?

lilacbirman

We cruise out of Seattle on Sunday, July 18 at pier 91. Boarding begins at noon and I wondered if it is generally less crowded and easier to board later, like around 2:00 or should we just get there by noon and hope for the best?

Often a lot of people get there early, so getting to the terminal around 2PM should be fine. Just be aware that parts of I5 are under construction so traffic can be an issue. Remember, it's a long swim.;)

No you should be good on bypassing any road construction. I like to get to the ship early. My brother just left Friday from Pier 91 and they got to the pier at about 1 pm and had no problem getting on the ship, smooth embarkation.

We cruise out of Seattle on Sunday, July 18 at pier 91. Boarding begins at noon and I wondered if it is generally less crowded and easier to board later, like around 2:00 or should we just get there by noon and hope for the best?

I just sailed on May 31st out of Pier 91. I got to the terminal at 10:45 and breezed through security and check-in. Boarding started at 11:30. I was in group # 4 and boarded at 11:45. The Mariner luncheon (for 3 and 4 star mariners was from noon to 1:30 in the MDR). It was a lovely luncheon. Cabins were ready around 1:45.

I have read that IF the ship has an embarkation lunch in the MDR that it is for all mariners 1+? Would you happen to know if you saw anyone turned away because perhaps they were not official mariners yet?

I would prefer to avoid the Lido, but would hate to submit to a "walk of shame" ;)

I have read that IF the ship has an embarkation lunch in the MDR that it is for all mariners 1+? Would you happen to know if you saw anyone turned away because perhaps they were not official mariners yet?

I would prefer to avoid the Lido, but would hate to submit to a "walk of shame" ;)

Three and four star mariners get an "invitation" upon check-in. You have to hand it in at the MDR. I wanted to keep mine but they wouldn't let me.

According to HAL's webpage, all Mariners are welcomed to the embarkation lunch. Here is the link to the information on HAL's webpage:

(0ne) Star Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

TS2006_VS_07_C0038-champagn.jpg

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action?tabName=Mariner+Society+Cruises

Sue: I'm also sailing on the 14 day Amsterdam sailing. Given that HAL's webpage is often incorrect, can you please share where you read that the invitation was only given to 3 and 4 star mariners? I would like to avoid the Lido also. Perhaps I'll print off the mariner benefits from the web page.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Archived