1800flyeurope?

vacation fool

Just posted this on the sticky as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this company? Is it considered a "consolidator" in that if i encounter a problem that i would not be able to deal directly with the airline?

This is my first transatlantic flight and want to make the right decisions. Want to go MIA-CDG, then a few days later CDG-VCE. Return would be from BCN-MIA. Dates are late april-mid may. The flights are about $1,200 thru Air France. I have tried playing around with other cities to try to do a roundtrip and then do connecting flights but it is way more.

On the return trip from Barcelona which connects in Paris-am i to understand that i only have to go thru customs in Barcelona and not in Paris?

Thanks for all your input. :confused:

Just posted this on the sticky as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this company? Is it considered a "consolidator" in that if i encounter a problem that i would not be able to deal directly with the airline?

This is my first transatlantic flight and want to make the right decisions. Want to go MIA-CDG, then a few days later CDG-VCE. Return would be from BCN-MIA. Dates are late april-mid may. The flights are about $1,200 thru Air France. I have tried playing around with other cities to try to do a roundtrip and then do connecting flights but it is way more.

On the return trip from Barcelona which connects in Paris-am i to understand that i only have to go thru customs in Barcelona and not in Paris?

Thanks for all your input. :confused:

It is my understanding that this is a consolidator.

What are your exact dates of travel? Using the dates of your cruise (it's the Carnival Magic one, right?) as a basis, I checked an open-jaw on ITA Matrix MIA-CDG on April 26th, then BCN-MIA on either May 10th or 11th. I'm getting a rate of $689.60 on AA. The Paris-Venice flight can be purchased separately, although you will have to consider the more restrictive inter-European baggage allowances.

It is my understanding that this is a consolidator.

What are your exact dates of travel? Using the dates of your cruise (it's the Carnival Magic one, right?) as a basis, I checked an open-jaw on ITA Matrix MIA-CDG on April 26th, then BCN-MIA on either May 10th or 11th. I'm getting a rate of $689.60 on AA. The Paris-Venice flight can be purchased separately, although you will have to consider the more restrictive inter-European baggage allowances.

Thankyou so much. I did not put that combo in, i tried r/t mia-cdg and then tried connectors. My real dates are 4/24 and 5/12 so you were close. And how did you know it was Magic? Are you going on that cruise? ;)

Now for a connecting flight from cdg-vce, i looked at easy jet but the luggage thing scared me. had trouble converting kilos to lbs. We will try having only one checked bag each and one carryon each. What do u suggest? Someone mentioned a highspeed train to venice with something that started with a "T' like TGV?

Really appreciate your help.

Now for a connecting flight from cdg-vce, i looked at easy jet but the luggage thing scared me. had trouble converting kilos to lbs. We will try having only one checked bag each and one carryon each.
As I've put in my reply to your other post, if it's the Paris-Venice flight that is pushing up the price, then you will be saving a lot of money even if you pay a little more in baggage fees. So you may be better off just paying them. And easyJet is not the only airline that flies between Paris and Venice. Don't limit yourself to CDG; there's more than one airport in Paris. But Venice only has one airport; the other airport sometimes described as "Venice" is not in Venice and is a long way away.

1 kg = 2.2 lb. So to get from kg to lb, double the number and add 10%. To get from lb to kg, take off 10% and then halve the number.

Thankyou so much. I did not put that combo in, i tried r/t mia-cdg and then tried connectors. My real dates are 4/24 and 5/12 so you were close. And how did you know it was Magic? Are you going on that cruise? ;)

I wish *sigh*. Actually, if you click on someone's username, you get the option of seeing all of their posts. You had a bunch in that cruise's roll call. :D BTW, just tried your actual dates, and getting the same price on AA (actually AA-BA going, IB-AA coming back).

Now for a connecting flight from cdg-vce, i looked at easy jet but the luggage thing scared me. had trouble converting kilos to lbs. We will try having only one checked bag each and one carryon each. What do u suggest?

I know what you mean about the luggage - I'm a light packer, but you really have to be sure of your stuff and understand all of the extra fees before you commit. Its roughly 2-and-a-bit pounds to a kilo, but google 'metric conversion' and you should find a bunch of online conversion sites.

Someone mentioned a highspeed train to venice with something that started with a "T' like TGV?

Really appreciate your help.

TGV = Train à Grande Vitesse, or high-speed train, in France. Would definitely explore this option, although I have to say the France train site always makes me a little confused (and I'm french!). I find seat61.com a good site for info on train travel.

I fly from MIA. Have not used Ifly Europe yet but got excellent quote recently. Love Easy Jet. Book early for best fares.At their prices you can afford luggage addons. They do CDG-Venice too. Just keep shopping for those consolidator rates. Booking Buddy. com has most of them. I prefer Luftansa, Swiss and Air France. Avoid Iberia, United, BritAir.(my experience).

Using the dates of your cruise (it's the Carnival Magic one, right?) as a basis, I checked an open-jaw on ITA Matrix MIA-CDG on April 26th, then BCN-MIA on either May 10th or 11th. I'm getting a rate of $689.60 on AA. The Paris-Venice flight can be purchased separately, although you will have to consider the more restrictive inter-European baggage allowances.

I cannot find this flight on american airlines webpage but it does show on ita. Do i have to go to a travel agent to book it? Thanks

As I've put in my reply to your other post, if it's the Paris-Venice flight that is pushing up the price, then you will be saving a lot of money even if you pay a little more in baggage fees. So you may be better off just paying them. And easyJet is not the only airline that flies between Paris and Venice. Don't limit yourself to CDG; there's more than one airport in Paris. But Venice only has one airport; the other airport sometimes described as "Venice" is not in Venice and is a long way away.

1 kg = 2.2 lb. So to get from kg to lb, double the number and add 10%. To get from lb to kg, take off 10% and then halve the number.

Thankyou. I posted to you on the sticky. What other airlines do u suggest to look at for that connecting flight from Paris to Venice? I am telling you, cruise critic cannot beat any travel agent. I just called AAA and they were no help at all other than to tell me it would be a $25 fee per ticket on the phone and i could do it myself online :rolleyes:

What other airlines do u suggest to look at for that connecting flight from Paris to Venice?
Two good resources for this: ITA Software (for traditional airlines) and SkyScanner (for low-fare airlines).

At the moment, Air France and Alitalia also fly this route (as far as I can see on a quick and dirty search), although the only airline that has posted schedules for the end of April 2011 is Air France.

Having now had a look, it looks like Air France does not do cheap one-way tickets, so you would have to buy a round-trip ticket and throw away the second half. Current price for end-April 2011 is €199 round-trip (including one checked bag at up to 23 kg), so easyJet may well be a cheaper choice for a one-way trip even if you have to pay something for every bit of checked baggage.

I cannot find this flight on american airlines webpage but it does show on ita. Do i have to go to a travel agent to book it? Thanks

I think the issue is, while the going is a codeshare, the return generated by ITA is an IB flight together with an AA flight, rather than a codeshare. When looking at the flight detail on ITA, right under the price is a place to click to show booking detail. This will display the booking codes used. In theory, you should be able to take this info to your travel agent and have them book you your flight (never actually done this, but can't see why it wouldn't work).

Having now had a look, it looks like Air France does not do cheap one-way tickets, so you would have to buy a round-trip ticket and throw away the second half. Current price for end-April 2011 is €199 round-trip (including one checked bag at up to 23 kg), so easyJet may well be a cheaper choice for a one-way trip even if you have to pay something for every bit of checked baggage.

Maybe i am figuring wrong but when i looked at easyjet their peak prices were 100 euro pp. Then with their fees and then fees for luggage i am wondering how much less it would really be than that 199 euro r/t ticket cdg-vce on air france? Does Easy Jet also charge for your carry ons as well? Easy jet only books 6 months out but i am guessing april is a peak time for them. If i followed your conversion correctly then 23 kg equals about 50 lbs?

Wishing i had a travel agent right now but i don't. You guys are the closest that i have lol Thanks again.

I think the issue is, while the going is a codeshare, the return generated by ITA is an IB flight together with an AA flight, rather than a codeshare. When looking at the flight detail on ITA, right under the price is a place to click to show booking detail. This will display the booking codes used. In theory, you should be able to take this info to your travel agent and have them book you your flight (never actually done this, but can't see why it wouldn't work).

I did print it out and i see what you are talking about. AAA was not interested at all in helping me once they found out i had already booked my hotels and cruise. Like i said to Globaliser, you two are the closest to a travel agent that i have right now and it is very much appreciated. I kind of feel like booking this fare from ita but being a type A am having a hard time wondering about that connecting flight and if i am jumping the gun before i know the price of that connecting flight? The fare is great and i think the layovers in heathrow (one 2 1/2 hrs and one 3 hours) are manageable? Am in a quandry about it. :(

And just to throw another airline into the mix

MIA/FLL to JFK-whatever airline is the cheapest

Then Aer Lingus through Dublin to Paris, spend whatever time you want in Paris, then back through Dublin to Venice. The Dublin airport is VERY easy for transfers.

When you leave after your cruise-BCN to DUB, Dub to JFK, whatever to MIA/FLL

AND the beauty of all this-you KEEP your US luggage allowance all the way through from the USA to all points in Europe, so long as you trip from JFK to Venice is less than 2 weeks. You can stopover in Europe as long as you like up to 2 weeks. AND when you return to the USA, you clear immigration in Ireland, NOT JFK. So no long waiting in line, just grab your luggage, walk it through Customs and proceed to your flight to Florida.

I priced out a kinda, sorta trip because I didn't know the exact dates or stopovers-MIA to JFK on one of many, many carriers, then the Aer Lingus routing to and through Europe and back to JFK, then return to Florida on one of many carriers from JFK to MIA/FLL.

Less than $1000 for a 4+ day stop in Paris with NO luggage worries. Some of these trips have to be booked separately (you can book JFK to Dublin, BCN to JFK, then Dublin to Paris and Paris to Venice separately on the Aer Lingus website.) The intra Europe trips are as cheap as $20 Euros + tax booked now. You just call Aer Lingus (they have a USA number) and have them link all the separate pieces together to insure you get your luggage allowance AND protection on your flights.

And just to throw another airline into the mix

MIA/FLL to JFK-whatever airline is the cheapest

Then Aer Lingus through Dublin to Paris, spend whatever time you want in Paris, then back through Dublin to Venice. The Dublin airport is VERY easy for transfers.

When you leave after your cruise-BCN to DUB, Dub to JFK, whatever to MIA/FLL

AND the beauty of all this-you KEEP your US luggage allowance all the way through from the USA to all points in Europe, so long as you trip from JFK to Venice is less than 2 weeks. You can stopover in Europe as long as you like up to 2 weeks. AND when you return to the USA, you clear immigration in Ireland, NOT JFK. So no long waiting in line, just grab your luggage, walk it through Customs and proceed to your flight to Florida.

I priced out a kinda, sorta trip because I didn't know the exact dates or stopovers-MIA to JFK on one of many, many carriers, then the Aer Lingus routing to and through Europe and back to JFK, then return to Florida on one of many carriers from JFK to MIA/FLL.

Less than $1000 for a 4+ day stop in Paris with NO luggage worries. Some of these trips have to be booked separately (you can book JFK to Dublin, BCN to JFK, then Dublin to Paris and Paris to Venice separately on the Aer Lingus website.) The intra Europe trips are as cheap as $20 Euros + tax booked now. You just call Aer Lingus (they have a USA number) and have them link all the separate pieces together to insure you get your luggage allowance AND protection on your flights.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to do all of that! Unfortunately i will be longer than 2 weeks-more like 2weeks and 4 days. My dates are departing MIA 4/24 to get to Paris 4/25 for 3 days, then 4/28 to VCE. Return from BCN 5/12.

I did research the TGV and it takes 13 hours from Paris to Venice and was not cheap at all.

When you change planes in a non U.S. airport do you have to clear customs again and then when you arrive back in the U.S.? I am not clear on that.

Thanks again.:)

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for taking the time to do all of that! Unfortunately i will be longer than 2 weeks-more like 2weeks and 4 days. My dates are departing MIA 4/24 to get to Paris 4/25 for 3 days, then 4/28 to VCE. Return from BCN 5/12.
I believe that greatam's 2 week timeframe meant 2 weeks interval between leaving JFK and arriving VCE. Which your dates assuredly fit into.

The luggage allowance bonus is huge, plus you get several opportunities to do quality control inspections on the Guinness being dispensed at DUB.

Maybe i am figuring wrong but when i looked at easyjet their peak prices were 100 euro pp. Then with their fees and then fees for luggage i am wondering how much less it would really be than that 199 euro r/t ticket cdg-vce on air france? Does Easy Jet also charge for your carry ons as well? Easy jet only books 6 months out but i am guessing april is a peak time for them. If i followed your conversion correctly then 23 kg equals about 50 lbs?
easyJet is currently booking up to and including 25 March, so it shouldn't be too long to wait before you can see prices for April 2011. Looking into the far end of the current booking window, there are €30 one-way fares on most days, and this may well hold good for end-April 2011 when the booking window opens. It costs €38 to check in one bag up to 23 kg (which is the Air France included allowance), so you are still a long way ahead on the €199 round-trip fare.

As for greatam's idea of using Aer Lingus, that is a good idea if the price is right (taking into account the saving on baggage fees). But when assessing that, you have to work out what is important to you.

If you use AA for the trans-Atlantic flights, you could fly:-

MIA-CDG non-stop;

Paris-VCE non-stop;

BCN-MIA one-stop (prob via Madrid).

But if you fly Aer Lingus for those, you'd have to do something like:-

MIA-JFK-DUB-CDG;

CDG-DUB-VCE;

BCN-DUB-JFK-MIA.

In particular, the difference between flying Paris-VCE non-stop and CDG-DUB-VCE on Aer Lingus is that the former is a reasonably quick hop that'll take less than half a day; the latter will basically wipe out almost a whole day in travelling. Do you want to forego half a day's sightseeing just to take advantage of a particular perk on baggage fees that might only be worth $50-$100 per person to you?

Only you can decide whether any money saving in the latter routing is worthwhile, when you take into account the extra time, hassle and risk in making extra connections; and you might well end up considering that it's worth paying the extra money to have the simpler set of flights. It's a personal decision, but personally I would gladly be paying several hundred pounds or dollars more to take the simpler set of flights.

You can go to a travel agent or do it yourself. As Twickenham posted, you have to get the details page on ITA and find the fare codes. Then you have to CAREFULLY match the flight numbers, times and fare codes to replicate what you see on ITA on AA.com. Takes some work but the results are generally worth it.

Just another follow up on using AerLingus. Venice is a seasonal destination-usually one flight a day, almost every day. Right now, the schedule only goes to the end of March, with 2 flights a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. But extrapolating that schedule (flight time), it will take about 6 hours to get from CDG to Venice through Dublin. Leave CDG about 2:30, arrive Venice about 8PM. Total price is about $100 with 50 pounds (1 suitcase) of luggage free. You will have to decide whether the extra time is worth any luggage savings.

You can go to a travel agent or do it yourself. As Twickenham posted, you have to get the details page on ITA and find the fare codes. Then you have to CAREFULLY match the flight numbers, times and fare codes to replicate what you see on ITA on AA.com. Takes some work but the results are generally worth it.

Just another follow up on using AerLingus. Venice is a seasonal destination-usually one flight a day, almost every day. Right now, the schedule only goes to the end of March, with 2 flights a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. But extrapolating that schedule (flight time), it will take about 6 hours to get from CDG to Venice through Dublin. Leave CDG about 2:30, arrive Venice about 8PM. Total price is about $100 with 50 pounds (1 suitcase) of luggage free. You will have to decide whether the extra time is worth any luggage savings.

I have followed everyones advice and printed out the ITA details of that flight that twickenham found for me for $689

I went to AAA today with the paper. When i told the travel agent what i wanted she told me she could not get me that rate. She had an annoyed look on her face and i said if she did not want to help me i would go elsewhere. I told her to look at the codes on the sheet. She pushed the paper back at me and told me to read her the fight numbers. She came up with over $2,000! I told her it is because she is putting the flights in as each separate one ways and she told me thats how she has to do it and then it will give her the best rate. She kept repeating that she can only access the flights in "her system". Needless to say i walked out. I am so frustrated. Short of spending a day going door to door and not knowing if other agencies are any better what do i do? :mad:

You got the wonderful demonstration of what you don't want in a travel agent.

There are many, many good/great agents out there. Unfortunately, they are vastly outnumbered by order takers and salesmen who only know how to process customers by rote.

What you need is a travel agent that KNOWS airline travel. Or who will at least attempt to do more than just their rote process. Given the end of commissions by airlines, most travel agencies put air arrangements at the bottom of their lists - both as a priority and as a necessary skill.

Further, you find agents and agencies that specialize in one area (say cruises, for a coincidental example). They may have a lot of knowledge about ships, but little about how to get to them.

One other option....call AA and see what they can do for you. Any phone charge should not be more than what a TA would charge you.

One other option....call AA and see what they can do for you. Any phone charge should not be more than what a TA would charge you.

I took your advise and called aa. They also couldnot find the flights/farecodes that were on ita for $689. The good news is after calling back a 2nd time and getting a really good agent-she was able to ticket me MIA-CDG nonstop, then BCN-MIA connecting in JFK for $794. It is not on their website cause as she explained it is a "mileage fare based on the number of miles we are going total" and only the agents can only pull those discounted rates up on their computers? In essence, she says our stop in Paris is considered "free"? Anyhow, she was able to give us our seats and everything so i booked it.

Now i just need the connector from CDG-VCE which i will most likely do air france as i found one that is $116 r/t and will toss the return portion of the ticket. I think in the longrun that it may be cheaper than easy jet with all of their fees.

The airline only charged a $20 fee which was less than AAA and i was happy to pay it. I will be on AA for all 3 legs and no stopover going to Paris. The $100 more for the flight than what ita had is worth it. Wonder why no one can find those flights?

I thankyou you all for all of your guidance which has brought this to fruition. :cool:

Getting ready to purchase the roundtrip ticket for CDG-VCE on air france for $116.70 pp. When i get to the end where i have to put in my info there is a note in small print next to the price that says "this fare is based on being used in full" or something to that effect meaning both portions of the ticket.

As i have never done this before, has anyone ever heard of an airline trying to come after them after the fact for not using the return portion and trying to assess them the difference of what a one way would have been? I know people employ this practice all the time so am i worried for nothing? :rolleyes:

When i get to the end where i have to put in my info there is a note in small print next to the price that says "this fare is based on being used in full" or something to that effect meaning both portions of the ticket.

As i have never done this before, has anyone ever heard of an airline trying to come after them after the fact for not using the return portion and trying to assess them the difference of what a one way would have been? I know people employ this practice all the time so am i worried for nothing?

Unless you do it regularly, it is most unlikely that you will get any comeback from the airline. After all, people's plans do sometimes legitimately change.

My DH and I used 1800flyeurope for our tickets for our river cruise starting in Paris.We booked about 7 mos in advance. The prices were about 400.00 pp under what we could get anywhere else. The service was excellent.Our timing turned out to be not good as our departure was April 15th which was the day the Volcano erupted.After spending 3 days at the Cincinnati airport we flew back home. I contacted Delta for a refund but was told that I had to go thru 1800flyeurope for our refund. It took a little bit longer but received a full refund last week. I was happy with 1800flyeurope and would use them again.

I have been making my own air arrangements to Europe for the last 7 years,every year.I use may different companies including Orbitz,Travelocity,Kayak,1800flyeurope,Expedia and also check each airlines web sites.1800fly europe is a true consolidator,they buy in bulk, so the best price tickets will be sold a long time in advance.

Another company to check out within Europe is Ryan Air.Also try putting your Europe Itinerary in Orbitz search. I was looking close to the same thing except from London and found British Airway one way had a good price.

We are also booked on The Magic but for June 12 out of Barcelona.We plan on a few extar days in Barcelona precruise and 1 day post cruise. I will start looking for airfares in August.

My DH and I used 1800flyeurope for our tickets for our river cruise starting in Paris.We booked about 7 mos in advance. The prices were about 400.00 pp under what we could get anywhere else. The service was excellent.Our timing turned out to be not good as our departure was April 15th which was the day the Volcano erupted.After spending 3 days at the Cincinnati airport we flew back home. I contacted Delta for a refund but was told that I had to go thru 1800flyeurope for our refund. It took a little bit longer but received a full refund last week. I was happy with 1800flyeurope and would use them again.

I have been making my own air arrangements to Europe for the last 7 years,every year.I use may different companies including Orbitz,Travelocity,Kayak,1800flyeurope,Expedia and also check each airlines web sites.1800fly europe is a true consolidator,they buy in bulk, so the best price tickets will be sold a long time in advance.

Another company to check out within Europe is Ryan Air.Also try putting your Europe Itinerary in Orbitz search. I was looking close to the same thing except from London and found British Airway one way had a good price.

We are also booked on The Magic but for June 12 out of Barcelona.We plan on a few extar days in Barcelona precruise and 1 day post cruise. I will start looking for airfares in August.

Thank you for your tips. I am wondering what your experience or thoughts are on my last ? about my a roundtrip ticket and only using the first portion? Do you agree with Globaliser that i should not worry about tossing the second portion? Have you ever done that?

You are VERY lucky you got your money back. If there had NOT been a complete cessation of Delta flights, you most likely WOULD NOT have gotten your money back. And such a shame-you waited at the airport for three days BECAUSE you could NOT use your consolidator (1-800FlyEurope) tickets to get someplace else in Europe-there WERE other airports open all through the ash crisis. But YOUR ticket was non re-routable, non endorsable, so you were essentially STUCK waiting for DELTA to fly to Paris and missed your cruise.

I certainly hope you are kidding about Ryan Air. With all the extra fees, the off the wall airports Ryan Air often flies in and out of and the crappy, crappy service, especially regarding cancellations and delays, there are FAR better airlines than Ryan Air.

There are many, many ways to put a trip itinerary together. Truly experienced fliers use tools other than the large travel agencies website. We tend to look for VALUE, not cheapest price. As I post so often, there is a LOT more to an airline ticket than the lowest price.

Thank you for your tips. I am wondering what your experience or thoughts are on my last ? about my a roundtrip ticket and only using the first portion? Do you agree with Globaliser that i should not worry about tossing the second portion? Have you ever done that?

You should be fine. DO NOT use your FF number when you book the ticket. You are referring to the very short Paris to Venice flight, correct?

Archived