Taormina to Messina

pratzert

Anyone ever gone from Taormina, Sicily, to Messina ?

The Sept. 17th sailing of the Insignia that we are on makes a stop in Taormina.

My wife's grandparents were from Messina and she wanted to do a pilgrmage of sorts to see the place were they lived.

I have read on the board that occasionally, the ship ends up docking in Messina instead of Taormina due to winds or weather.

What is the best transport method to get from one town to another ?

Thanks for the tips !

My wife's grandparents were from Messina and she wanted to do a pilgrmage of sorts to see the place were they lived.

I have read on the board that occasionally, the ship ends up docking in Messina instead of Taormina due to winds or weather.

Thanks for the tips !

Although there might be a bus geared to locals, I'd say that the only way to do it would be by cab. It will be at least a 40 minute ride in each direction (more if there is traffic, which there will be).

It sounds like you have not been to Sicily before, and if that is the case, PLEASE try to talk your wife out of going to Messina. It is a seedy, dank, industrial port city with little to recommend it. There has also been a lot of urban renewal since the war, so who knows if you will even be able to locate the street where the Grandparents lived.

Taormina, on the other hand is exquisite.

Although there might be a bus geared to locals, I'd say that the only way to do it would be by cab. It will be at least a 40 minute ride in each direction (more if there is traffic, which there will be).

It sounds like you have not been to Sicily before, and if that is the case, PLEASE try to talk your wife out of going to Messina. It is a seedy, dank, industrial port city with little to recommend it. There has also been a lot of urban renewal since the war, so who knows if you will even be able to locate the street where the Grandparents lived.

Taormina, on the other hand is exquisite.

StanandJim,

WOW... I didn't realize it was such an undesirable area today.

I'll try to sway her, but it has been one of the things she has talked about constantly.

I'll try to do some more research and learn exactly where her g-parents lived in Messina and see if I can get any pics of it prior to the cruise.

Thanks again for the tip.

Take a look, been here 3 times i dont really think is such terrible place

Yeah, that's what I want to say about my vacation

"I didn't really think that it was so terrible"

LOL

Pratzert-

It isn't as much that Messina is so awful, it's that Taormina is so glorious.

taormina-gekijyou.jpg

It isn't as much that Messina is so awful, it's that Taormina is so glorious.

With you on this one!! Taormina is one of our favorite places - Messina isn't even close! Though there is something to be said for trying to track down a family connection, so I understand the OP's desire to go there...

We were diverted on our cruise so took a cab. There were four of us so it wasn't too painful. I remember it well as my wife was scared stiff the whole trip as he drove a lot faster than we are used to!

Thanks for the tips !

Have you tried Google maps and google Earth. You could do a virtual pilgrimage before you go and if circumstances permit you will be well clued up to visit when there.

Have you tried Google maps and google Earth. You could do a virtual pilgrimage before you go and if circumstances permit you will be well clued up to visit when there.

Good idea.... I'm trying to get the actual street address so I can do the Google Earth.

It's very quick easy to take the train from one city to the other. We did it both directions last fall. You can book online in advance through <RailEurop.com> or at the station once you get there. Messina is quite gritty and industrial and not much in the way of sight seeing. We spent a week in Toarmina and could have stayed a month. It's one of the best destinations on the planet with killer views!

Archived