Tipping on private shore excursions

travelgirl4ever

We are taking three private excursions with another couple from 3 ports in Italy. We are budget travelers and carefully save for our travels. So, my question is - What is a fair tip for our guide? Our average tour cost 550 Euros. We have no idea what to tip. Thanks for any help.

I have just been reading Rick Steves and he says "I would never consider tipping for a tour I had already paid for." That said, we would never consider NOT tipping... raised that way, I guess, altho I have been on tours that some people just walked away...

If it's a small private tour (not a ship's tour or a big bus tour)) in Italy or France, I'd tip about 10% if it was a good tour and good driver. If the driver/guide was outstanding and went out of his/her way to make the tour especially enjoyable and tailored for you, 15%, though on the high side, would not be unreasonable, especially if the guide is licensed. It depends on the level of service you receive and the amount of effort your driver/guide worked on making the trip special for you.

Tipping unllike the US or Far East which is either expected or really part of the tour guides pay as others noted Europe is a bit different.

We choose to tip based on our experience and gratitude for service. For our Italy ports we had a wonderful time with RIL and at we did roughly 10% of the tour cost. My mom and brother inlaw did top that off a bit on their respective drivers for similar reasons. We had serveral tour share participants who did not but that was their choice/business.

We are taking three private excursions with another couple from 3 ports in Italy. We are budget travelers and carefully save for our travels. So, my question is - What is a fair tip for our guide? Our average tour cost 550 Euros. We have no idea what to tip. Thanks for any help.

I don't care what Rick Steve's says.....altho I watch all his shows and he has some good stuff on them..... we tip.

When on a ship tour - we usually tip 5-10 euros for the 2 of us. Seems the bus driver and the guide(s) split it.

When on a private tour - we also tip a minimum 10% with more for an outstanding experience (which we have had quite a few!)

When on a private tour "share" such as yours......we all chipped in (some more - some less)

We always round up the bill at restaurants and sometimes add a bit more - again for an outstanding experience. We round up in taxis too.

From my European perspective a tip of € 55 (what 10 % would be in this case) is too high.

Tipping is not necessary in Europe.

Nevertheless a small tip for a private tour guide is a nice sign of appreciation as long as the guide is not the owner himself who already gets the agreed price.

Maybe € 20 but it is not hard science.

When I asked our private tour company regarding tipping standards, this was their response, "Tipping part is really up to you, for a good service is anything from 10-20%." I do agree that 20% would be quite high especially since the tours are averaging 550 Euros as well. We have 3 tours planned during our cruise. We plan on around 15% if the service is great.

Archived