Room Card - how do you carry it?

Berk987

"... if I don't have pockets."

Why would anyone buy clothing without pockets unless she wanted to carry around a bag? While I have a very few formal outfits without pockets, I can not imagine everyday wear that had not place for a room card, tissues, lip gloss, etc.

Where do you shop? I wear dresses almost all the time, and very few of them have pockets.

From experience I want to share two things w/ y'all:

1. If you put a key card/credit card in your bra, put the magnetic strip side away from your skin so the body oils don't mess up the coding.

2. Be careful when putting your cell phone in the same pocket w/ a coded key card. I repeatedly had trouble w/ my key card not opening my cabin door. After many trips to reception to get it re-keyed, they asked me if I was carrying a cell phone. I was carrying a tri-band satellite phone; & was advised that the cell phone signal can wipe out the electronic coding on the card.

From experience I want to share two things w/ y'all:

1. If you put a key card/credit card in your bra, put the magnetic strip side away from your skin so the body oils don't mess up the coding.

Check. And if you get a spa pass, have them put the blue sticker on the same side of the card as the magnetic strip. It tends to get stuck to the body, and you have to keep getting a new sticker. ;)

" if I don't have pockets."

I have never understood the lack of pockets thing. Why would anyone purchase jackets, pants, skirts without pockets?

OK - lumps. So, what?

Because I am old, I already have lumps before I put things in my pockets. Those who are young might as well face it. They will get older and they will have lumps.

Personally, I like to use a lanyard and have a hole punched in the card. Someone at the front desk or gift store will usually have a hole punch.

The lanyard that I bought has an adjustable bead that can slide up towards the neck. Since it's pretty windy out on deck, I don't want to chance having my lanyard and card go flying overboard. When you're up on deck, you can slide the bead up a bit to ensure that your lanyard won't go flying over your head.

We use a card minder that attaches to your belt or waistband. My husband had one for work and I searched the office supply big box store for another one. It is on a line that will extend from your waist (like the cord on a vacuum). Clip it on your pants, and it sits silently under you shirt until you come to your cabin. Reach for it, pull the card straight out from your waist, unlock the door, release it and poof - it retracts to your waist all by itself where it silently waits till next time. Worked great for checking on and off the boat too. When we were at the bar, we just pulled the whole thing off the waistband and gave it to the server. It was very convenient, hands free and personally my neck was too busy with binoculars, cameras and glasses on a string to try to accomodate one more gadget. I had brought 2 piece outfits for formal nite so it worked even then.

When you get your card punched, just make sure they punch the right end and that it is kept far enough away from the magnetic strip so it can be swiped without having to remove the tab.

This is the one item I consider necessary when cruising. My best tip. I love it.

It's my preference to carry a Vera Bradley Zip ID case. It's colorful and has a zipper pocket that can hold lip balm and a cc if needed plus the ship ID card can be seen in through the clear plastic color.

Personally, I don't do lanyards or any other thing hanging from my neck. This just works for me!

Clearly you are not a connoisseur of bra carrying potential. ;)

i wish i could carry stuff around like that.... but the way i am built, my bra has enough work to do! :D

having said that, i have taken to putting my card in one of those see-through ID holders that have a clip that attach to inside a pocket, a belt, or whatever you want to clip it to.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a HAL cruise and wanted to warn everyone here... I used 2 different Boojee Beads lanyards and they were beautiful... I had a lot of nice comments about them. But I kept running into a problem: my card demagnetized 6 times!!!!! It took me a few days to realize that the clasp on the Boojee Beads is magnetic. Once I was aware of them, I was careful to ensure that the clasp got nowhere near the card whenever I took the lanyard off and then I didn't encounter the problem again.

Lanyard

Plastic pocket in the clip on the end

Then when we go ashore we can put our Dr. License and one credit in there as well.

Depending on where I'm ashore I just drop all the stuff inside my shirt.

Works perfectly for me/us.;)

Archived