I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Nice job Larry! A really nice mon shot. I wanted to ask you about that great acorn shot you posted recently. You stated it was taken with your new macro lens. Was that lens the Canon 100mm ?

Bruce, Indeed the 100mm. The L version nonetheless. I couldn't resist, I mean they didn't have the non-L in stock. :D

I have a lot to learn, but it is loads of fun.

original.jpg

Larry

A few more from my trip last week - I previously posted the Wilderness Lodge resort at night - but of course always spend a lot of time photographing throughout the Disney parks as well - so here are some more shots from inside the parks:

Sony A550, Sony 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 lens used in all of the following shots (except one, which is noted below).

Mann's Chinese Theater, in Disney's Hollywood studios (ISO200, F9, 8 seconds):

original.jpg

Elephants on the Kilimanjaro Safari ride in Animal Kingdom (ISO200, F8, 1/320):

original.jpg

Epcot Center's Spaceship Earth (ISO200, F9, 4 seconds):

original.jpg

Epcot China Pavilion's Temple of Heaven (ISO200, F6.3, 8 seconds):

original.jpg

The Land Pavilion's fish farm on the Living with the Land ride, Epcot Center (ISO200, F3.5, 1/250):

original.jpg

Continued...5 more to wrap up the series!

Haunted Mansion ride, as viewed through the window of the Columbia Harbour House restaurant in Magic Kingdom (ISO200, F10, 1/400):

original.jpg

Switched lenses for this one to my Sigma 30mm F1.4...scene from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Magic Kingdom (ISO3,200, F1.6, 1/15 - dark ride and movement handheld = high ISO!):

original.jpg

Magic Kingdom's train station at the entrance, dressed for Halloween (ISO200, F3.5, 1/25):

original.jpg

Grand Floridian Resort, taken from the Polynesian resort boat dock (ISO200, F7.1, 6 seconds):

original.jpg

Polynesian Resort grounds at night (ISO200, F7.1, 15 seconds):

original.jpg

Comments, critique, or questions welcome.

Hey, John...With night shots, I typically shoot in one of two modes - either M (Manual) mode or A (Aperture priority) mode. When using A mode, it's pretty easy - just set the aperture where I want it based on depth of field needed for the shot, or how much I want to expose the shadows, and let the camera select the shutter speed...though if I disagree with the camera's choice, I'll usually dial in some EV compensation to adjust to what I think feels right. For M mode, I select both parameters - usually choosing a smaller shutter and longer exposure when dealing with high contrast scenes (bright lights against very dark backgrounds) which usually allows the shadows to expose well without blowing out the lights too severely...and bigger apertures with less shutter speed when shooting a very bright night scene with lots of good illumination that just doesn't need as long an exposure. Mainly it just comes down to practice and familiarity - I've been shooting night shots for over a decade now, and started off by simply experimenting with various shutter and aperture combinations until I started to get a feel for what would work best with a given scene to deliver the look I wanted. Hope that helps!

Here's a picture of a baby fox taking a nap in the creek bed in our back yard. He's been hanging around the neighborhood with his mother and one of his litter mates. He has fleas really bad and his little ears are really chewed up from something.

2660194000063342928S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by JWJs

Hey, John...With night shots, I typically shoot in one of two modes - either M (Manual) mode or A (Aperture priority) mode. When using A mode, it's pretty easy - just set the aperture where I want it based on depth of field needed for the shot, or how much I want to expose the shadows, and let the camera select the shutter speed...though if I disagree with the camera's choice, I'll usually dial in some EV compensation to adjust to what I think feels right. For M mode, I select both parameters - usually choosing a smaller shutter and longer exposure when dealing with high contrast scenes (bright lights against very dark backgrounds) which usually allows the shadows to expose well without blowing out the lights too severely...and bigger apertures with less shutter speed when shooting a very bright night scene with lots of good illumination that just doesn't need as long an exposure. Mainly it just comes down to practice and familiarity - I've been shooting night shots for over a decade now, and started off by simply experimenting with various shutter and aperture combinations until I started to get a feel for what would work best with a given scene to deliver the look I wanted. Hope that helps!

Great shots and thanks for the tips!

Here's a picture of a baby fox taking a nap in the creek bed in our back yard. He's been hanging around the neighborhood with his mother and one of his litter mates. He has fleas really bad and his little ears are really chewed up from something.

2660194000063342928S600x600Q85.jpg

Great picture. I can see what you mean on the ears, poor guy.

RE: Night shots.

Just curious how you selected the amount of seconds in the shutter speed in relation to your F stops.

TIA.

Johneeo - I'd highly recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson ($25 at a book store, $15 online). It seemed like every photography site that I went to recommended this book, so I picked it up a few months ago. I'd be willing to be that after reading it, you won't be using auto anymore on your camera. You'll instead be doing things like what zackiedawg described. The book makes it pretty easy to understand when to choose which mode and why. I've recommended this book so many times that Bryan Peterson should be giving me a kickback. :D

Switched lenses for this one to my Sigma 30mm F1.4...scene from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Magic Kingdom (ISO3,200, F1.6, 1/15 - dark ride and movement handheld = high ISO!):

original.jpg

zackiedawg - Very impressive for 3200. Did you do any post clean up or is your camera that noise free at high ISO?

I also like the Mann's Theater shot with the ghosted images at 8 seconds!