Never too old!

Musicus

I e mailed Egon because I was so worried about his cough. He answered that he is on antibiotics and feeling better, so he obviously had more than a cold.

I also told him that if the ship had to pay a musician to play the music for the wedding, it would have cost them a whole lot more than some free laundry, and instead of a nice thank you note, they should have arranged to have his laundry picked up.

Hello All,

I just wanted to put a note in here about this fabulous post. I just recently discovered it last week and have read it all, word by word, laugh by laugh, tear by tear and inspiration by inspiration. Egon is nothing but a treasure and an inspiration to us all.

I feel I already know you as friends. I can relate to the loss of parents, the loss of a beautiful pet kitty and a cancer scare. You are a great support for each other.

I am a rabid cruiser also; I have been on >20 on different cruiselines, long and short. It is good to see others share my love of cruising at the same level I do! Enough about me. It is a pleasure to 'meet' you all.

clb :D

Welcome CLB! I agree with Pat. I would love to go on a cruise with all of you someday. Egon has been such an inspiration to all of us. I think of him everytime I get disgusted and almost give up on something I'm doing. It's all a matter of how you think, I believe. With so many people, they use age as an excuse to not even try, but not our Egon! I think he uses age as a reason to try even harder just to prove he can still keep up!

Welcome CLB! I agree with Pat. I would love to go on a cruise with all of you someday. Egon has been such an inspiration to all of us. I think of him everytime I get disgusted and almost give up on something I'm doing. It's all a matter of how you think, I believe. With so many people, they use age as an excuse to not even try, but not our Egon! I think he uses age as a reason to try even harder just to prove he can still keep up!

What a wonderful thing! Here, here!

Hello All,

I just wanted to put a note in here about this fabulous post. I just recently discovered it last week and have read it all, word by word, laugh by laugh, tear by tear and inspiration by inspiration. Egon is nothing but a treasure and an inspiration to us all.

I feel I already know you as friends. I can relate to the loss of parents, the loss of a beautiful pet kitty and a cancer scare. You are a great support for each other.

I am a rabid cruiser also; I have been on >20 on different cruiselines, long and short. It is good to see others share my love of cruising at the same level I do! Enough about me. It is a pleasure to 'meet' you all.

Hi, I have followed this since the beginning too but seldom post! But I just noticed that you are going to be on the Breakaway TA next yr..ME TOO! Now we have something in common to discuss!

And I am an animal lover too. I want all my pets cremated when they pass and to have their ashes put with mine into the ocean due to my love of the water. When I told my DD this, she asked if I wanted it done today or tomorrow! SMarta**!

Anyways, I really enjoy this thread and will keep up with Egon all thru his adventures! Hope he sets sail again when this one is over too. :D

Another warm welcome, CLB! :) Your post was so apropos. And Sam, I often think of him when I'm thinking "oh, I can't do that, etc. - and I'm 20# yr younger!! ;) What a role model.

I would love to cruise with all of you one day, maybe we should think about that for the future.

Sue

Hi, I have followed this since the beginning too but seldom post! But I just noticed that you are going to be on the Breakaway TA next yr..ME TOO! Now we have something in common to discuss!

And I am an animal lover too. I want all my pets cremated when they pass and to have their ashes put with mine into the ocean due to my love of the water. When I told my DD this, she asked if I wanted it done today or tomorrow! SMarta**!

Anyways, I really enjoy this thread and will keep up with Egon all thru his adventures! Hope he sets sail again when this one is over too. :D

Hi rav4lady!!

I thought I recognized you from the other board. I had my beautiful kitty, Axel, cremated when he went to heaven. His ashes are sitting on my desk in an Urn, with a picture (is that too creepy?). I looked forward to this continuing story that is Egon and his adventures. I am quite envious of him. I am doing the coundown until next April/May for the NCL Breakaway TA. Anyone else up for the trip? Love to have you along

Another warm welcome, CLB! :) Your post was so apropos. And Sam, I often think of him when I'm thinking "oh, I can't do that, etc. - and I'm 20# yr younger!! ;) What a role model.

I would love to cruise with all of you one day, maybe we should think about that for the future.

Sue

Thanks Sue! I would consider that in the future. Everyone here is so nice and seems to have a good sense of humor and fun. What more is needed for a cruise? (Except for maybe a couple of cocktails and maybe some seafood)

Thank you for the welcome! I agree age is not an excuse; I must say that Egon is a really good example of this. His adventure is an real example and not just lip service - which I think I occaisionally use at times.

What continues to amaze me about Egon is that at age 95 he is still able to give piano conerts. I can only hope that we all cn be that sharp and spry at age 95....if we get to live that long. That gives me 30 years to go.

#34: June 9-28, 2012

I have sent the following handwritten note to the Manager of Guest Relations two days ago. Nothig happened since then.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I have been on MSC ships for the past one and a half years and 60 cruises at a cost of over US$ 90,000 for an interior cabin, without having ever asked for or been offered an upgrade.

I am still forced to beg and fight for such petty perks as a water package in Europe and free laundry, the latter having been refused on some ships altogether.

This is a situation of major concern to me. I've been given a MSC badge with my name and "VIP Guest" on it which I have been wearing but which is really quite meaningless and only serves MSC's interests.

Being a professional musician, I have contributed freely of my talent and played the piano in the atrium on sea-days with great success, as can be corroberated by feedback to MSC employees. Since some of the listeners also purchase drinks, MSC benefits not only by my free entertainment.

Please see that this gets to the right persons." (sgd)

We were in Longyearbyen, the capital of and largest settlement on Spitsbergen , the world's most northerly town and just 600 Miles from the Northpole. A shuttle bus took me into the center from the dock where I scootered around some and wondered how it would be to live here. It was cold but not freezing and of course there was snow on all the hills around. Although polar bears and auks are a common sight here, none were to be seen, no doubt scared away by the hundreds of people descending on what normally must be a very quiet place. In a small shopping mall I found free Wifi and could send my reports out as well as contact TD Waterhouse by Skype and do my business with them, amazingly so, since this was on a Sunday at 6am in Toronto where they are located!

After seemlingly having been stonewalled for some time, since the Purser never returned my calls and nothing happened after the above letter, I again asked this morning to see the Purser but wound up with Christiana, the Manager for Guest relations. She started by saying that she doesn't understand the letter. "we tried to accommodate you with the cabin and the water package.." when I interrupted her by pointing out that the fact that I didn't have to change cabin had nothing to do with this. I asked her whether she passed the letter on and she said she gave it to the Purser and Hotel Manager and repeated the old mantra, that the latter had emailed the requests to HO in Naples who agreed to the water package but not the laundry and that's that - it's out of their hands, because the extra expense has to be Ok'd by them. Unbelieveable! What extra expense? I am thoroughly pissed off, pardon my French. I am convinced that the supposedly required HO approval is only a ruse and that there just is no goodwill available. By the way, to have a shirt washed (returned on a wire hanger), costs 5.18 Euro, which is US$ 6.50!

June 11/12 Honningsvag/North Cape. I've been here twice before with Poesia and both times it was cloudy and the famouns midnight sun was obliterated. This time it was actually raining, but I ventured out, myself and scooter more or less covered with the plastic rain "coat" I have and went up to the library where before I had sat with WiFi and gotten to know the librarian, but as was to be expected, at nearly 8pm, it was closed. In cruising around, I passed a spot where I saw a couple of guys with laptops under a roof overhang and yes, there was WiFi. So I joined them, had my netbook on a closed garbage can and dealt with a few emails of which I get too many - people still are sending me "stuff" when they shouldn't. Of course it still was daylight but cold and damp and I didn't linger long, especially since I am still not over my cold.

The ship arrived at 7pm but left only at 2am to give the many people who went by bus to the North Cape in the vain search for the midnight sun time to get back. Well, at least they were able to make pictures of themselves, the Pavillion, the Globe and the large sculpture there and buy souvenirs and postcards.

June 12: Nothing earthshaking to report on this sea-day, unless you count the requests for an encore from listeners to my usual piano playing. Of course I was pleased.

--

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

7372455206_e0cb52ea32_o.jpg

Longyearbyen

7372455018_67e8bb334c_o.jpg

Longyearbyen (2)

7372454582_cf50ff35c8_o.jpg

Leaving the dock at Longyearbyen

7187225935_7d54238243_o.jpg

Honningsvag June 13 2012

7187225805_07d48cb70f_o.jpg

Honingsvag June 13 2012

Oh my goodness I cannot believe MSC treats Egon so badly. I wish there was something we could do for him. I feel just awful for him.

I quite agree. This is exceptionally poor customer service! $90,000, really? I probably costs them about 1/3 of that for what services, room and board Egon used. In my opinion this appears to be taking advantage of the elderly; is that only illeagl in the USA? I know there are 2 sides but I can't even imagine what they would say to counter this poor treatment of this VERY loyal customer. I will never cruise MSC and I'll spread the word.

clb :(

The problem is cruise lines don't know how to deal with long-term cruisers. This is obviously a growing market, but a minority. They are used to folks cruising for a week at a time, not a year or more and have no standards for how to treat these long-term guests.

I quite agree. This is exceptionally poor customer service! $90,000, really? I probably costs them about 1/3 of that for what services, room and board Egon used. In my opinion this appears to be taking advantage of the elderly; is that only illeagl in the USA? I know there are 2 sides but I can't even imagine what they would say to counter this poor treatment of this VERY loyal customer. I will never cruise MSC and I'll spread the word.

clb :(

CLB. I won't ever cruise them either. I never heard of them until Egon started his travels. I agree it is taking advantage of the elderly but I'm not sure what we can do, if anything. It is illegal in the US but it must not be in the countries MSC visits. I just have such a hard time believing that a cruise line could treat someone like this! :eek:

Sue

CLB. I won't ever cruise them either. I never heard of them until Egon started his travels. I agree it is taking advantage of the elderly but I'm not sure what we can do, if anything. It is illegal in the US but it must not be in the countries MSC visits. I just have such a hard time believing that a cruise line could treat someone like this! :eek:

Sue

I was on Poesia last year and the only thing I liked about it was my cabin and the food was pretty good, although they sat me at a table with all men my age and one darned close to Egon's age. It was when Egon hurt himself in the elevator and got off the ship in Cozumel for a month for recuperation.

Is MSC based in Europe? I know nothing of them except what we've heard from Egon and, in my opinion, that's not too good. Hooray for good ole U.S. capitolism! Any cruise line CEO based here would by now have figured the bottom line figures of having him aboard and would be treating him like a King! The extra money he makes them for the drinks ordered during his performances is a drop in the bucket compared to the free advertising he gets them. Good or bad, it's all advertising, right? You can count me in on those who would NEVER sign up for a cruise on this line. That picture he sent us of his prison-cell stateroom was enough for me - and the treatment they give him! When I cruise, I want all the creature comforts! I cruised on Carnival's Legend and there was a guy on the cruise who was doing what Egon is doing. I never got to talk to him about how they were treating him (because I assumed it was very well). I do know that he was being recognized over and over in nearly every venue I went to - even the dining room. They were treating him as though they were VERY proud to have him aboard. I wish Egon could get some of that. Champagne and strawberries are o.k. but no match for clean clothes and a drink of water. I personally think they should give him free on-board wi-fi for all the free publicity. Oh me, another capitolism idea . .

I just want to say thank-you to all who have been providing us with this very entertaining story. I'm so disappointed to have come to the last page though I'm hoping there will be many more.

I am also from BC and I can't imagine driving myself across the country solo the way he did. That's pretty impressive.

I cruise a lot and hope one day I'll run into him...maybe on the Ruby Princess in the fall.

Someone, a few pages back, mentioned Sherpas and I had this immediate thought that someone could organize a "cruise along with Egon" possee.

Somebody each week could be on the same ship with him to help him out. What an adventure that would be. LOL I will certainly be watching this space for further updates.

Yellowbird, I'm sorry about your pups. Heartbreaking I know. I've lost 3 cats in the last 2 years. My last kitty is 14 years old and still thinks she's a kitten. She's slowing down a bit and sleeping a lot more, but I don't think she's going anywhere for a while.

Edited by santanna

I just want to say thank-you to all who have been providing us with this very entertaining story. I'm so disappointed to have come to the last page though I'm hoping there will be many more.

I am also from BC and I can't imagine driving myself across the country solo the way he did. That's pretty impressive.

I cruise a lot and hope one day I'll run into him...maybe on the Ruby Princess in the fall.

Someone, a few pages back, mentioned Sherpas and I had this immediate thought that someone could organize a "cruise along with Egon" possee.

Somebody each week could be on the same ship with him to help him out. What an adventure that would be. LOL I will certainly be watching this space for further updates.

Yellowbird, I'm sorry about your pups. Heartbreaking I know. I've lost 3 cats in the last 2 years. My last kitty is 14 years old and still thinks she's a kitten. She's slowing down a bit and sleeping a lot more, but I don't think she's going anywhere for a while.

I like your idea Santana, but only on another ship other than MSC anything. As for my dogs, thank you. Only those who have experienced a loss of part of "the family" such as they are would know the pain. I have to take my 6 lb. yorkie next week to be inspected as she is not doing very well either.

To all...have a good weekend. If it's a great one, that's even better.

I had a couple drinks with Egon two evenings ago and he's doing great. Not happy about not having free laundry anymore but he likes his cabin and just about everything else. Most North Americans would be like "fish out of water" (as he says) when cruising European/Italian MSC but I think it's a fine cruise line and I've enjoyed all my cruises with them.

I had a couple drinks with Egon two evenings ago and he's doing great. Not happy about not having free laundry anymore but he likes his cabin and just about everything else. Most North Americans would be like "fish out of water" (as he says) when cruising European/Italian MSC but I think it's a fine cruise line and I've enjoyed all my cruises with them.

That's great to hear. Tell him we all said hello if you see him again.

Only those who have experienced a loss of part of "the family" such as they are would know the pain. I have to take my 6 lb. yorkie next week to be inspected as she is not doing very well either.

To all...have a good weekend. If it's a great one, that's even better.

I will tell you something about that. My co-worker recently had to put his dog down as it had some disease where it crapped all over the floor and had other ailments that were costly. We both work next to a vet clinic that will do what you need to be done and he took the dog there. He came back to work red-eyed and teary and said he hoped that no one else had to go through what he just went through. But that is just the way it is if you have a pet. It's never going to be easy because they are like a part of the family. I'll tell you something else, their love is unconditional, they are always glad to see you when you come home,every day, all the time:D, maybe that will comfort someones heart. Just think of the awesome memories you had with your pet and that ought to make you feel at least a little better.

# 35 June 13-28 2012

Unfortunately it was a lousy day in the gorgeous Geiranger Fjord and it rained sporadically. I went out nevertheless and drove around, finally settling down in for coffee and WiFi in a small restaurant. It was just one year ago that I was here last, in wonderfully sunny weather - a real highlight of my journeys.

June 14: A Sea-Day with Piano and a Martini offered by some listeners. Before, I had talked two of the couples at my table into eating with me at the special L'Oasi restaurant, where they could enjoy the phantastic panorama view as we glide out of the long and beautiful fjord.

June 15: I wrote the following letter to the Hotel Manager of Magnifica:

Hotel Manager, MSC Magnifica June 16, 2012

Caro Sr. Volpicelli,

during my now 18 months with MSC, I got to know and befriend several Hotel Managers of various ships (Kristine Uppala, Gianfranco Sampiero, Angelo) but haven't had the pleasure of being introduced to you, although I have no doubt you know about me.

My vain pleas for free laundry aside, I am writing to you today about the L'Oasi restaurant and what I offer is constructive criticism entirely directed towards the enhancement of MSC's image.

Last evening I ate there with two other couples and the food was excellent. However, the advertised "romantic ambiance" was non-existent mainly due to the fact that there was a constant coming and going of passengers to and from the open deck in front of the restaurant, with cold drafts descending on us every time the sliding doors were opened. The panoramic view which is part of the extra charge in the restaurant was constantly obscured or disturbed by people standing at the rail outside or walking about. Furthermore, there were several instances where people came with their plates of food from the cafeteria and settled down to eat in the L'Oasi (of course they the were asked to leave).

The obvious answer is to cordon the restaurant area off and also make the outside deck unavailable to passengers not eating there. (There are after all other decks open to the back).

The price of 24 Euro would mean maybe 30 Euro income to MSC, since the guest does not eat in his usual restaurant. For the guest, the cost of eating at L'Oasi is not negligible and the shock to be presented with an extra charge for the pasta he ordered because it represented a fourth dish whereas the price is for only 3 courses is only topped by the fact that he also has to pay for mineral water - even if he only wants one glass. These things, considering the price, are petty and smack of milking the cow, if you pardon the expression. In any restaurant of the caliber L'Oasi strives to be, not only 4 courses would be covered, and not only water but complimentary coffee or tea would be included. Make the price 25 Euro, all included, to really achieve the status you are aiming for.

There's one more thing: One person at our table ordered cheese for dessert. He received the same kind of 3 different cheese slices as he would get in the downstairs restaurant, only twice as much. Nothing special, no soft cheeses and what is especially missing, crackers, which were not available. They should come with any order of cheese - it's traditional. In other words, the cheese plate should be reviewed and revamped to comply with standards (in any first class restaurant an assortment of cheeses is kept on a platter under a glass lid and is served at room temperature, not ice cold out of the fridge).

Please accept the above in the spirit it is given.

Sincerely,

Egon Landsberg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, Copenhagen: My friends Lisbet and Mogens Westh could unfortunately not come to the ship today as they had intended to and there will only be one other time that I am here on June 23 and I hope to see them then.

I was extremely fortunate in running into one of the Copenhagen's Good-Will-Men (My description) who took me in front of the Port office, gave me a chair and a cup of coffee and free WiFi in an open building between "Magnifica" on one side and a "Costa" ship on the other. There were several of these kind souls, so solicitous, generous and helpful. I sat there and even was able to plug into electricity. So I spent a few hours in the morning and the same after lunch. I had an email from my friend Jerry whom I was to meet tomorrow at Starbucks in Kiel: his mother in Canada had suddenly died and he is leaving tomorrow. And so it goes.

My antibiotics-course is finished and I feel better. There are lots of people on board with colds and it's easy to catch it from them.

--

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

7388150300_e06cfb4a58_o.jpg

Geiranger June 21 2011

7388149816_a9cb9f1a41_o.jpg

Geiranger (2)

7388148742_be5378a4ee_o.jpg

The piano waits for me

7388149246_5a9c92bc96_o.jpg

06.04 Welcome to Copenhagen

7388150420_316203cee0_o.jpg

The little mermaid of Copenhagen

I am so glad to hear that Egon is doing well and having a good time. Your (and Egon's) insite to the differences between Americans and Europeans may be something. I think we (Americans) have different requirements on how we like to travel. I am also gald you have had a good time on a MSC cruise.

:D