Never too old!

Musicus

I'm sailing on the Carnival Dream to the western Caribbean in September.

Hi Doug,

You mention that you are going on Carnival in September. Can I ask you this; how is it as a solo traveler? Are there too many kids? I am just beginning my solo 'career' in cruising so I am looking at all of the possibilities. My thanks for your help. :D

clbury - I've sailed on Carnival half a dozen times and always cruise in May or September. That avoids the months where you'll run into a lot of kids. I've always had a good time as a solo on Carnival but I can say the same for all the cruise lines I've sailed with. Most of the friendships I've made on cruises are with people that I've met on shore excursions.

I see you've cruised on NCL. That's my other favorite cruise line.

It was my pleasure and privilege to meet Egon on the Poesia Trans Atlantic this year. He is a Joy to speak to and a pleasure to hear him play the Piano. I am very sorry to hear that his travels plans have had to be changed due to illness. Please pass on my very best wishes for a speedy recovery and we look forward to seeing him back on the high seas again in the not too distant future. God bless you Egon.

Irene

clbury - I've sailed on Carnival half a dozen times and always cruise in May or September. That avoids the months where you'll run into a lot of kids. I've always had a good time as a solo on Carnival but I can say the same for all the cruise lines I've sailed with. Most of the friendships I've made on cruises are with people that I've met on shore excursions.

I see you've cruised on NCL. That's my other favorite cruise line.

Thanks for your 'expert' opinion :). I have cruised many other times too on Princess, RCCL, HAL and only once on Carnival many years ago (the Kathilee song was popular then) . NCL was new this year and we loved it. The Breakaway TA is my first solo cruise so I am psyched.

The latest report from Egon to Yellowbird to you. Enjoy!

SUSPENDED ANIMATION

#1: July 10-13 2012

July 11, Southampton. I spent an hour yesterday writing this first report and then pressed the wrong button and lost it all. Stupido! No way to recapture and now I have to start all over again. I should put up a big sign with 'SAVE!' on it.

In the evening of the 9th, there was a last cocktail party for "repeaters, honeymooners and VIPs" and while champagne is served generally, by being befriended with the bar manager who, like so many others, knew me from Poesia, I was able to finaigle a martini. I then played for maybe 20 minutes in the piano bar, before going around, saying goodbye to many people who had become close friends, and some of these leavetakings were very emotional and even teary, particularly with Mandy. With her I had arranged to be picked up at 10.15 on the 10th at my cabin, with a wheel chair and someone with a trolley to bring the four pieces of luggage down from the ship. Early in the morning I went to settle my account on which there were no charges for service, laundry or internet thanks to Mandy and the hotel manager Angelo. The guys picking me up at the cabin came early, while I was still struggling with the scooter collapse and they helped me with stowing it and its several unwieldy parts in the tight special carrying bag. I was pretty exhausted by that time, because I had been up early with finishing packing etc. and was glad to be able to sit in the wheelchair for the long trip off the ship, over slanting ramps towards the Terminal Building, down an elevator, then through the cavernous baggage hall to the outside, where it rained quite heavily. The luggage and myself were deposited at a sehltered spot to await the pickup arranged for 10am local time (ship's time being one hour later) by Olivia and Max Landsberg, "children" of my cousin-in-law Sylvia - both had come up from London for the event. They were punctual and I felt sorry for them hefting and stowing the heavy luggage in thie relatively small (but BMW!) car. On the way to the B&B Bannister House to unload, I got quite a nice view of the city because both of my saviours not being from here, their knowledge of the city was limited. I was warmly received by Ingrid, the manager and allowed to settle in my room and relax for almost an hour and a half before Max came to get me at noon and took me to Sylvia's beautiful home at 118 Southfield Lane. Another wonderful welcome and a delicious lunch of Shepherds pie, peas and salad. Later an hour's siesta and after the rain had stopped for a while and the sun came out and warmed things up, we sat outside and I could admire Sylvia's beautiful garden in full bloom. Later I worked on this report which then I lost to my great sorrow and embarrassment. However, the Negroni I was allowed to make for myself and Sylvia was an effective consolation, and so was the Supper with some of my favorite cheeses. Max brought me 'home' for about 9pm and I gratefully went to bed and only had to get up twice during the night of otherwise solid sleep. It is comfortable, spotless, the rooms comfortable and with everything you would find in a hotel costing at least twice as much (except they do not provide facecloth - I am told the people bring their own, but I got one by asking). They serve a generous and complete English breakfast but I opted for half of the offerings.

July 11/12: April weather, complete with thunderstorms, quite a lot of rain and cool temperatures, interspersed by sunny and sudden warmth. I spent mornings at the computer and have good WiFi here at Bannister House. Towards noon Max came and brought me to Sylvia's house, we had lunch (actually the main meal of the day), I little siesta, an extented walk through the beautiful gardens until it started raining again. In the afternoon, through the fact that Max has a very cheap phone card program, I was finally able to speak to Princess USA to cancel the cruises booked with them (they wouldn't accept cancellations by email for security reasons) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that will get a refund of nearly $ 5,000 when I thought that because of the imminence of these cruises, I would have to forfeit all I had paid. On the 12th I also received the medical reports of my consultation with Mr. Cumming. Things are shaping up nicely.

Sylvia is such a graceful hostess and Max and Olivia so helpful, and I am grateful for this, my "twice removed" family. Tomorrow at 7.30 am Olivia will come by taxi to get me and the luggage and accompany me on the pretty long drive to the London Heathrow airport, where Ken, the third of Sylvia's siblings, will meet us and assist in the check-in proceedures. I shudder to think of the hefty excess baggage charges I'll face. Flight departure is shortly after noon and I'll have a 4 hour layover in Toronto which I am not looking forward to but to see Steve again is greatly rewarding.

You'll hear from me whenever I am settled and can report on developments. Meantime, keep smiling. I do.

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

7556800956_be92a875b3_o.jpg

Sylvia's Garden

7556800504_12aef83a11_o.jpg

Sylvia's Garden (2)

7556800012_3cee8d2c2b_o.jpg

Sylvia's Garden (3)

7556799492_814118dc7a_o.jpg

Sylvia's Garden (4)

7556801454_154a2828a2_o.jpg

Sylvia's Garden (5)

What a lovely garden Sylvia has! Egon is so fortunate to have such good people to help him and we know how you end up with good people to help you...you are a good person too!

I wish Egon the best wishes in the world for a speedy recovery and a quick return to cruising. I really enjoy reading all about his exploits and hope to be just like him (only a female version) when I grow up!:)

I am sure that we all are wishing Egon a good flight home and that he will be well taken care of by his son once he arrives.

It was a lovely English garden that he got to spend some time in, and I am sure that they don't have heat waves the way some of us just went through.

I'm thinking of Egon today. Hope his flight is smooth and he is looked after well. Will look forward to hearing from him when he is settled back home. :)

It's bad enough for us younger "old foggies" on those long flights, let alone getting up and moving around on the flight at age 95. Can't wait to hear from him again, which I hope is soon. Will keep you posted.:)

When I think of Egon at the age of 95:eek:. I feel like a youngster at my age of 60. I will be praying also for him. I can't imagine coping with all the details and stresses he has had to endure while on the cruise ships. You would think that the cruise industry would be honored to have someone aboard with his talents and honor his age also and do everything in their power to make his life comfortable since he has paid in advance for his cruises. I just feel like smacking somebody for the shabby way they have treated him. I wish that a book could be produced about his life and the adventures he has had on the cruise ships. Wouldn't that be worth reading;).

Just got an e-mail from Egon and the time was 5:57, I guess EST. So. He is apparently in Canada. I sent an e-mail asking him where he was and am awaiting a reply.

I am looking forward with anticipation to this new development:D.

Egon is sitting in a wheelchair at Toronto Pearson since almost 2 hrs ago and still has to wait another hour for his flight to North Bay. He said he is "bushed". I imagine he is.

It's information like this that get me extremely upset and wish that I could take physical action:(. I hope that all gets better for him in the future.

Edited by Stella777

Maybe while Eagon is recovering he could write or dictate that book. Like this thread it would be an insperation to all of us. I will be looking for Him on My future cruises. .Thank you for brightning our days. Look forward to future threads .:rolleyes:

I am hoping that someone will be willing to put this all together and write a book. Anyone among you who has the capabilities to do this? I wish that I had the talents to do this because I would get right on it. I am putting out a urgent call to someone who would do this after all the man is 95 and can not go on forever. Who is out here willing to take up the call.

If you go to his website, you will see that his adventurous life didn't just start now with cruising. He has photos of all the trailers and mobile homes he owned and he seems to have been quite the wanderer in his younger days. I imagine he must have had quite an exciting life.