Never too old!

Musicus

Thank you for the update, a nice way to start the day.

I am 45 and age has never been an issue for me, except for the mile stone moments of being old enough to drive and being old enough to buy a beer legally, which was 18 for me. Although I must admit that I was buying well before 18. :)

I had a funny moment with my wife this week (who is two years older than me), I made the comment that after our birthdays this year it will only be a year for her and two for me for the big 50. She looked at me strange and said how old are you? I said I am 47. She said, no Mike I'm 47 you are only 45.

We had a good laugh over that one.

So now I have been telling several people at my new job that I was 47 and they are going to be surprised that I actually found the fountain of youth and went back two years.

I have met way too many cool people in my life that were at an age most figured that the highlight of their life was watching the price is right. But they all lived life with a true love for LIVING.

I truly believe you are what you think about. Think and be as positive as you can.

Dear Sue,

May the Holy Blessed One

overflow with compassion upon you,

to restore you,

to heal you,

to strengthen you.

May the Holy One send you, speedily,

a complete healing --

healing of the soul and healing of the body --

along with all the ill,

among all humankind

soon,

speedily,

without delay,

and let us all say: Amen!

# 28:May 5-20 2012

Dubrovnik: Last time I was here was in 1971 with our Ultra Van Motorhome on the way to Athens where we spent the Winter in the suburb of Glifada (and had the Corvair engine of the Motorhome rebuilt). We traveled together for 2 years, with a befriended couple in a Westphalia Camper towing a small trailer behind; he was a retired US Air Force Colonel and through him we not only had access to the PX at the US Base there, but I also got to play on various US Bases in Europe and Morocco, using the organ I carried in the Ultra Van. In Glifada we rented a modern apartment which however was infested with huge cockroaches. But I digress... (if you are interested to have a look at the legendary Ultra Van, go to my web site

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm and go to "Travel")

Back to Dubrovnik: It was a long bus ride from the ship to the center of the city, where there was not only bumper to bumper traffic on narrow streets which lots of tour buses avoiding sideswiping parked cars or each other and, suffice it to say, hordes of people from no less than 6 huge cruiseships and tour buses from other European countries. Not very enjoyable, despite the interesting sights. I eventually found a less frequented area with nice views. Of course I checked for WiFi here and there as well, but in vain and so I returned to the ship after two hours or so.

May 6: Venice, and I unfortunately didn't realize that it was raining and so the boat trip to near the Piazza San Marco turned out to be somewhat of a literal washout, aggravated by the fact that I had the Scooter and could not navigate several bridges with lots of steps both sides which had to be crossed in order to get there. So I got cold and somewhat damp, even though I kept on sheltering under awnings, but eventually wound up in a bar and warmed myself with a capuccino, biding my time until the return trip to the ship at 12.45pm. I'm using the time to write this and then translate it to German. Unfortunately I did not find WiFi access. Maybe I'll muster the courage to attempt this trip again on my next, hopefully sunny Venice visit, without my Scooter, even though it's quite an ordeal to go through, beginning already with the milling crowds on board Musica and then on the motorboat. Thousands of passengers from 6 Cruiseships, and all of them aim for Piazza San Marco!!Our ship had in the meantime been moved to another position at the Venice Cruise Terminal so that we also were transported by bus. Later in the afternoon the weather had changed and the sun had come out so I decided to check the Terminal Building and especially the kept luggage facility because I don't want to take it all to the hotel for the two nights 20-22 May, but since luggage storage for 3 pieces would cost me 24 Euros ($32), I'll check whether I can leave it at the hotel and take everything by taxi. Venice, as I knew in advance, is very expensive. And I see now that I'll have to fold and pack the scooter - there are too many stairs over bridges for it to be useful.

Four English ladies graced the dinner table at the restaurant; I had some difficulty getting the champagne/strawberry routine going - it had not been organized. But all was well in the end. Not so my attempt to get free laundry, something which apparently has to be Ok'd by the Hotel Manager whom I haven't met and who did not allow it when asked by the Manager for Guest Relations. I also have no longer gotten any "water package" (coupons for Mineral Water, the only water at the restaurants available here in Europe). Considering the fact that I have spent over $ 90,000 on MSC cruises, this is pretty shabby.

May 7, Bari: I scootered a long way into the old town with its labyrinth of narrow streets, alleys and closed courts and was hoping to find both a barber because I need a haircut, and WiFi. Alas, being Monday, barbershops are closed and the search for WiFi was fruitless as well. On top of it it was quite a drive, mostly with or against traffic on the street, because the sidewalks did not provide any handicap accesses at the many curbs one had to negotiate. Back at the Port Terminal Building, there was supposed to be WiFi at a cafe, which turned out to also be closed and so I came up empty.

May 8: Katakolon: Busy Main Street lined with tourist shops. Found an internet Cafe and spent a few hours, but as we only got ashore towards 1pm and have to be back by 5, I did not do nmuch sightseeing. Maybe next time.

Since some time I go swimming in the afternoon, because in the mornings the water is just too cold. This has its disatvantages because there are others in the pool which at times makes lap swimming almost impossible. And to top it off, there are sometimes kids who with loud screams and complete disregard almost jump onto one's head ... in short, rarely can do as many as 10 laps.

May 9: Santorini, one of the many Greek islands with towns perched high on top. This one is a particularly popular cruiseship destination and the quite formidable looking town of Thira can, from where our tender dropped us, only be reached by a cable car or by donkey, although from the ship I even saw a couple of autos so I imagine there must be another landing access and road going up. Anyway, I went with the scooter aong the narrow landstrip between mountain and sea after getting off the motorboat; there were, as usual, hordes of people, not only from Musica but also the New Amsterdam, both moored outside and there was a huge lineup waiting to get onto the cable car. Of course down there were only shops and a couple of restaurants. I then saw that there was an elevator for handicapped people to take you up to the cable car station and using it also saved me from standing in line some 40 minutes. I left the scooter there and once on top was glad that I did because I could not have used it on cobblestone up and down streets as well as many stairs. However, to go into the actual town was too far for me to walk and so I just went around the area close by, of course again lined with lots of shops and restaurants but had a few pretty views as well. Considering that the cable car consists of 6 cabins in a row, each with 6 people and that there must have been over 1000 passengers at 4 Euros each way for the 3 or 4 minute ride, this must be a lucrative business, at least during those 6 or more months when cruise ships visit.

This afternoon at 4 I was going to play the piano as we are at sea until 7pm. However, a big sign in front of the piano stating that the instrument was exclusively reserved for MSC musicians, stopped me, since already the last time when I played between Bari and Venice I had been approached with the same message by a woman but played on anyway for three quarter of an hour to the obvious and usual enjoyment of whoever happened to be there to listen. It seems to me that the powers that be on this ship are not as 'user friendly" as they were on both Poesia and Melody. The little and inexpensive perks of water packages and free laundry (how much can one person need to have washed in a week?) have been discontinued and not wanting me to play -even though I am definitely a better musician than some of Musica's piano/keyboard players and my playing would benefit MSC also by the fact that some listeners buy drinks and I am contributing to the enjoyment of passengers for free. But so be it. And now a little vctory after I had a heart to heart talk this afternoon with the Concierge: it resulted in my receiving two week's supply of coupons for the mineral water.

--

http//home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

7170904496_4e94a712a4_o.jpg

Dubrovnik (7) 

7170905896_aed95582dd_o.jpg

Dubrovnik (4)

7170905602_74c74a82a4_o.jpg

Dubrovnik (2)

7170905230_cfc879cf19_o.jpg

A rainy day in Venice

7170906792_4824103463_o.jpg

Venice Doges Palace - a woven mural

7170904728_7956feff05_o.jpg

Creating Glass Figurines in Venice (2)

Two more days and I wish it was all over with so I know. Internet pics are not very consoling. I guess this is where faith kicks in. Thanks for your support all.

Have been thinking of you all day today. Hope all is well. Keeping fingers and everything crossed for you.

I think they are ridiculous with as much as he's spent and as long as he's traveled! :(

Just popped on to say Hi and I'm thinking of you to Pat (Yellowbird) and am praying hard that today went well. I'm hoping you are celebrating tonight, if not we'll pray you through whatever comes up. :):):)

Sue

I haven't posted in a while but am constantly checking in on Egon. Pat, add my prayers to the list, certainly hope you got some good news. Your CC friends are here for you! It's scary stuff, we're here to support you and to listen.

hug-465.gif

Edited by 3dogsrule

Just to let you all know that I had the biopsy yesterday and the oral surgeon said he thinks it should be okay, but wanted to do it for precautioin since I'm a smoker. Today, have a sore throat, but not as bad as yesterday. I found the lesion by accident, but I regulary check my mouth, especially my tongue, as I had an occurrence once before in a different location. Thanks all for your support!:)

Pat...I am hoping for you that the lab report will send back the all clear message, and I am sorry for all the anxiety you have to go through while waiting.

What is "Friend of Henry"??

On Royal Caribbean ships the vacuums they used were the round cansiter type in blue with a happy face painted on them. They were named Henry, so a lot of the frequent RC cruises started the "Friend of Henry Club." The past few years RC has changed their vacuums and Henry has been replaced, but we still miss him.

I get e mails from Egon, and after reading his last post I wrote him and urged him to switch to either RC, Celebrity, Holland America, or Princess if he decides to spend next year on board ships. Those lines recognize frequent cruises and treat them like royalty. If Egon had spent $90,000.00 on those lines he would be treated like a King when on board with the free laundry, wifi and drinks every night. I can't get over how MSC treats him so cheaply.:eek:

Edited by CAC104