Never too old!

Musicus

I always wanted to mention the beautiful location of the restaurant here at the Regency Club. It has a terrace overlooking a small grove and the ocean. In the mornings, the Mexican Blackbirds are in the trees; they don't sing but make many different sounds. They know that there is food to be had and are pretty fresh, even to the extent of swooping over a table when nobody is around to pick up a morsel. On the grounds below, several large iguanas have their homes and defend their territory with much head bobbing. In the evenings, the birds are nowhere to be seen or heard. Far across the ocean one can see some llights of the mainland at Playa del Carmen to which Cozumel is connected by a frequent ferry service which takes 20 minutes for the crossing.

I always have breakfast there: there is orange juice, sliced fruit (papaya, melons, pineapple, watermelon; also grapes and bananas), various Yoplait yogurts. There are a few individually boxed and uninteresting cereals, as well as a crockpot with hot porridge. There are miniscule croissants, which I used to slice and get toasted because they are never crisp but limp like myself...

But talking with sweet Rosana, the overseer in the mornings, I now get a 6" baguette toasted which is much nicer, especially with the nice orange marmalade I now have. But there are also some cold cuts and cheese slices -none of which are very interesting. Apart from this, there are several plates with sweet pastries, which I spurn. Of course, there is a menu with all sorts of egg-based choices with bacon, sausages, various veggies and refried beans. Usually I only have one egg with a little bacon a week.

At night I also eat there, having a rye and tonic (no ginger ale available) before from the bar, unless I am with acquaintances and we go together to either Roberto's (Italian) or the Mosaic (Asian). I taught the bartender there to make Negroni (1/3 each. Campari, Gin, Sweet Vermouth) - my favourite cocktail. For those restaurants, reservations are required.

reservations@princesscruises.com

February 7, 2011

To the Reservation Manaager

Re: Bookings Nos 5LCK2T & 5LCWCL

Dear Sir:

When I booked the above cruises, I requested a handicap cabin, but was told that because I am not wheelchair-bound this would not be available to me.

In the light of the following, I would appreciate your reconsideration.

1) While I am not "wheelchair-bound", I have a scooter which I must use for any but very short distances which I force myself to walk, as my walking ability is severely restricted .

2) I am 95 years old and, while mentally acute and relatively healthy, I am often unsteady and miss railings in shower stalls.

3)My scooter requires a 24" door opening. I read that your cabins have only 22".

For your information: I have been cruising on MSC "Poesia" for an entire year ending in October 2011 and will be cruising on five MSC ships in handicap cabins as of Febuary 13 prior to and until the above cruises with Princess.

Thank you for your benevolent help in this matter.

Sincerely, Egon T Landsberg

February 7: Tom and Sylivia came at 7.30pm and took me into town where behind the Baracuda Hotel is the "No Name Bar" - it's outside around a small pool.There a nice guy named Brent, who sings and plays the electric guitar, and George who plays a mean clarinet or sax enterntain, backed up by computer generated rythm and accompaniment. And they are very good in what they are doing! Anyway, Tom and Shirley had apparently sung high praises aboiut me because Brent was very anxious to meet me and also to hear me play. He did have a keyboard of sorts with poor piano sound and no sustain pedal. They made me play and had it hooked up to amp and loudspeakers and while I certainly was not at all happy with my performance, the mostly American audience seemed to like what they heard and several came up to our table during the evening to tell me so.

February 9: I was greeted at the Vista del Mar restaurant this morning by Rosanna and all the waiters as well as many breakfast eaters, singing "Happy birthday to you". The place was festooned with balloons and a place for me to sit had been prepared with extra cushions to sit on because chairs are low and tables high so that I had said that I have to "eat like a dog" with the plate right in front of my mouth. The music out of the loudspeakers played "Happy Birthday' as well as the Mexican birthday song "Estas son las mañanitas". How touching, all this! And then, when I was going to leave, I was told not to, because there would be a surprise and they came with a beautiful little birthday cake, on which were two lit candles in the shape of 95. I regretted so much not having brought my camera, but others took some pictures and promised to send them to me. So far only one of them did. This was certainly the highlight of the day. At lunchtime at the La Isla restaurant there was a repeat chorus of all the waiters who had been counting the days to the 9th.

Of course there were dozens of congratulatory emails and a couple of phone calls which were not very satisfactory because the room phone is extremely poor in sound. And my son Steve sent a lovely homemade cybercard.

Later my good friend Cheryl came to visit and we spent a nice afternoon together -no hanky-panky but a lot of bantering! She is from New Brunswick, Canada and was my table mate on "Poesia" in December 2010. When she was here in Cozumel at a different hotel last year, she came to visit me as well.

Adriana Tobias wanted to videocall me with Skype at 4pm but got stuck in traffic; her kids also want to talk to me. But this didn't happen any more yesterday and was postponed.

AT 95

I don't see so good

I don't pee so good

I don't hear so good

I don't walk so good

My knees are shot

and my back is sore

Now you know what I've got

but wait, there is more!

Sometimes I'm wheezing

or coughing or sneezing;

and I need, just to please me

somebody to squeeze me!

For there's still desire

for love and affection

and you know what I mean:

to recapture what's been.

On the other hand I am blessed with so much

with musical talent, good humour and such,

with wonderful friends and travels and fun

and not to forget my beloved son!

I've also good health and a mind alive -

Now you know how it is at ninety-five!

Egon, February 9, 2012 , Cozumel, Mexico.

Amazing! I want to be just like Egon when I grow up! but I think I should have to take many years of piano lessons and there aren't enough of those left! Loved his poem too!

Sure hope Princess comes through for his handicapped cabin, can't imagine why they wouldn't. I know people book those cabins even when they don't really need them just because they like the extra space, but he needs the larger doorway.

Although, Egon must have been happy with MSC since he is going with them again this year, I must say I have been kinda turned against them by their treatment of him and from what I have read on here, I am not the only one. So not sure he is a good advertisement for them...although, if they gave him the treatment I think he should get, then I would be more inclined to give them a try.

...although, if they gave him the treatment I think he should get, then I would be more inclined to give them a try.

I did give them a try and will never do it again! I agree with you though. But...if he continually uses their product he should know what he should get in return by now. I guess he feels comfortable. I would think he would want to go somewhere different by now. A world cruise would be my choice if had the $$ as he seems to have.

On that note...Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Pat

The good byes at Sabor were surprisingly emotional, so many of the employees having known and befriended me. These were three very nice and enjoyable months. Checkout was easy, except that they had a couple of phone call charges on my room number, which I didn't make and that caused a bit of a flap. The taxi took me to town and the Punta Langosta, where the "Poesia" was moored and unloaded me outside the gate leading to the pier. The only little complication of my being let in was the matter of moving the luggage; I told them to call the ship to send a porter because I was embarking, but the security guy at the gate claimed he couldn't get anybody and ordered one of the tricicles which are available for hire to move people a rather long way from the ship to the exits. I sent him back, left my luggage at the gate and went in, where I was lucky to find right away one of the MSC officers who knew me and he made arrangements. I sat down and waited for the porter and literally dozens of employees from the ship going ashore and passing me hailed and greeted me - waiters, cocktail waitresses, room stewards- all remembered me and I was quite touched about that. Eventually, the porter came, accompanied by the ship's Immigration officer who then took things in hand, walked with me to the ship's gangplank and in, but just outside, there was wonderful Mandy, the Concierge, with a huge welcome embrace - so very nice to see her as well as many many others that greeted ne and welcomed me back. It was a real homecoming and pretty wonderful, especially since everything went pretty smoothly with the embarkation.

On the ship it was a continued welcome from a great many officers and employees - I am indeed part of the "family". Mandy immediately saw to it that I would receive the Black Card obligatory champagne and strawberries, but I had to hunt up the maitre d' because they had me in the second sitting for dinner instead of the first as requested; for this trip I have to sit with one other person at a table for three. Nevertheless, te hard to understand Englishman and I enjoyed some champagne and some French Canadians at an adjacent table emptied the bottle;

I took most of the strawberries down to the girls at reception and, as had become Tradition, I brought three of them to Angelica who was overjoyed to see me as I was to see her. She says that she will be quitting when we get to Genoa. She lives in Sorrento. To bed at 9pm. My nice and spacious handicap room is in the front of the ship and the way to the rear where the restaurants are is long - about 1/4 KM so I am using the scooter much more on the ship as before.

At the dining room table in the evening a found an evenvelope addressed to me with a small artificial rose attached - it was a lovely card from the French Canadian group at the next table , wishing my a happy Valentine's Day and thanking me for having shared the champagne with them the night before - what a nice gesture. Went again to see and listen to Angelica for a while but was glad to go to bed early.

February 15, at Sea: After swimming and breakfast, had a meeting with Mandy who is most helpful in looking into various arrangements I had before, such as free laundry and opting out of the automatic gratuity system among other things. Tonight I'll be dining at the Obelisc restaurant with Marcello, the Guest Relations Manager and two other Black Card holding couples.

February 16: For the first time I played the piano again in the Atrium yesterday - there were few people because lots was going on and many people were still ashore since we left only at 6pm. The Dinner at the Obelisco was Ok except that it was excruciatingly slow with a wait for the main course after the soup actually at least half an hour, with the rare lamb chops ordered of course being totally overdone. Dinner started at 7pm and finished after 10pm - seems they just couldnt handle quite a few diners. One couple who knew me from last year, plus a single Englishman who kind of dominated the conversation as long as Marcello was with us - he had to leave early. And now |I am at an internet Cafe at Montego Bay. Met more people this morning who came to talk to me because they remembered me from last year. The ship leaves early todayOne more sea-day and then Fort Lauderdale.

I am wondering if people have grown tired of this site. If so, I will discontinue the updates.

Yes, please continue. :) I don't post much but I check everyday for "Egons Adventures" and I thank you, Pat, for taking time to keep us up-to-date.

Sue

I am wondering if people have grown tired of this site. If so, I will discontinue the updates.

I suppose we've become spoiled, being able to set back and have each new episode of the 'Perils of Egon' delivered to our computer screens. I'm sure though that there are many hundreds of us who enjoy each update that you so graciously take the time to post. Please keep them coming and please let Egon know that his reports are appreciated.

I guess that was a stupid question, wasn't it? For a person to begin this journey back on June 29, 2010, having had over 77,200 posts, I guess there is a "little" bit of interest yet...lol. Onward and upward folks! I do it out of respect for a man I've never met, but feel as if I know him well, as do most in here.

Edited by yellowbird23

Keep it going, Pat. I don't post very often but I read Egon's adventures at least once a week.

By the way, my experience with MSC on many cruises has always been very positive. They have some beautiful ships, good food, reasonable prices and some great itineraries. Any problems I've had have always been met with a "if we can do it, we will" attitude which 95% of the time fixed the problem. Personally, I think Egon has been treated very well on his cruises and I wish him continued enjoyment.

Keep it going, Pat. I don't post very often but I read Egon's adventures at least once a week.

By the way, my experience with MSC on many cruises has always been very positive. They have some beautiful ships, good food, reasonable prices and some great itineraries. Any problems I've had have always been met with a "if we can do it, we will" attitude which 95% of the time fixed the problem. Personally, I think Egon has been treated very well on his cruises and I wish him continued enjoyment.

I was on Costa Concordia back in March of 2009 to the W. Med. What a beautiful ship. So sad. We went from Civatavecchia to Monaco, Greece, Turkey and Egypt. One of the best, if not the best, cruises I have taken.

I hope you will continue to post "Egon's Adventures". I know I don't leave posts very often, but do come on every week to catch up on all of the updates. With my husband retiring and losing my father within 2 days of each other, my activities have been very focused on other things - being able to lose myself in this thread line has been very helpful.

Like I said - please continue. I look forward to my weekly visit.

Happy Sailing to all.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

September, 2012 - Alaska – Amsterdam - 14 day cruise (CANCELLED DUE TO WORK ) Might be able to reschedule :D:D:D

March - 2013 Panama Canal - - 28 day

September – 2013 – 14 day – Alaska

August – 2014 – Eastern Med – 28 days or one that will be cruising Black Sea

I swim again 20 laps in the mornings. So far haven't found any Scrabble partner - all I can do is be in a place where there are lots of people and prominently display the big Scrabble box in hopes that someone will stop by it - it worked on several occasions last year. Tonight, I was hailed by Brian Wilkinson, who was my tablemate last year from March 6-23. Nice to see him again. Sat again with Angelica who is adamant in her decision to leave the ship for good in Genoa. I suggested to her that she come with me to Switzerland for the 2 days there, but I doubt very much that this will happen.

The 17th was another sea day and I had quite a large and enthusiastic audience when I played the piano in the afternoon. When we were in Ft. Lauterdale on the 18th, I got them to take me down to the outside in a wheelchair and was mighty glad for it - alone, the distance from my cabin to the exit was formidable, but from there to the Terminal Building again as much and then, what a blessing! the long, long lines of disembarking people waiting to go through US Immigration & Customs were avoided by a special lane for handicaps and we just sailed through. For a while, I sat on a bench outside because it was not 10 o'clock yet when my good friend Dennis was to pick me up; when the time came, I walked to the parking lot area just at the same time he passed by - right on time! What a nice guy he is, so thoughtful and ever helpful and generous. We first went to the Bank of America where I had to order Euros and Swiss Francs to be picked up on the 25th when I'll be with Elaine, then went to the drug store, liquor store and camera store where it was established that the SD card I had was defective and only worked occasionally. And then we went to the Jewish Deli where I had made a date with my old and good friend Barbara, who already was there. The place, small and very noisy and crowded, obviously a favorite for many people. I had a chicken soup, which disappointed me, and half a smoked pastrami sandwhich, which was wunderbar! But the amount of food both Barbara and Dennis put away absolutely blew my mind. Of course, Dennis picked up the tab, bless him - as I said, he is overly generous. On the way back to the ship, we stopped at a dollar store where I got quite a few essentials, including a small jar of Pond's face cream, which I thought was under a $1 sign and only later, when checking the bill, found out that I was charged $ 4.25 for it - unfortunately, at the very busy checkout counter, what was entered was not visible on a display and I didn't check the bill then because it was simply thrown into the bag with the items bought. I have kept the jar and the bill and maybe Elaine will pass by there and I will try and return it, but doubt they'll let me do that. But who would go to a Dollar Store to buy a $ 4.25 face cream?

On the ship I have the impression that most passengers are over 60. And, lo and behold, next to me at the dining room table sits a man who is 97 years old, still mentally alert. Then there are 3 ladies and another man. Of course, there was the usual champagne/strawberries ceremony, which always paves the way to an animated conversation and pleasant evening. And Angelica also got her usual quota of strawberries.

We had two sea days; I swam in the mornings, had a nice game of Scrabble with Shirley, one of my tablemates, played the piano in the afetrnoon and was invited for a Martini by Cathy, another tablemate. And now, we are in bustling Charlotte Amelie,(US Virgin Islands) where for $3 I have a day's worth of very good WiFi and was able to take care of not less than 25 emails. But this is on the terrace open to the very busy main road with noisy trucks and full of Indonesian ship's personnel talking loudly and seemingly forever to loved ones via Skype.

February 22 in San Juan, Puerto Rico - it's the capital, big and busy and particularily in the vicinity of the port where there are 3 cruiseships lined up, having disgorged hordes of people descending on the town. It's a lovely warm and sunny day, which had me in the pool already at 6.45am and I did my 20 laps without anybody else - a private swimming pool! Ashore, I cruised around and looked at many roadside stands offering traditional handicrafts and souvenirs and finally wound up at Starbuck's, where I sat for several hours with free WiFi. I finally found and downloaded the Owner's Manual for the AT900 Roland Theater Organ (all of 300 pages!) which my friend Dale Bell has and which I am looking forward to play, since he invited me to stay in his beautiful mansion from the 25th to 28th when I have to leave the ship because it has been chartered for these days. I know that I'll be able to only scratch the surface of the instrument's capabilities and challenges in such a short while, but it's a real treat for me to have the opportunity to play it. Orientation of all controls and features needs first to be studied and the manual will be the first stepping stone to getting to know what to press to achieve what. Wish me luck.

February 24: I have been advised that I cannot leave my things in the cabin during the time I have to leave the ship, but they'll be able to srore my luggage. Nevertheless, it sure is a bloody nuisance and quite a bit of work packing and unpacking again. Yesterday afternoon I had great positive response to my playing and even from the new cruise director Maddy, whom I got to know at the "Captain's cocktail party" after dinner where I also was able to get a martini instead of the champagne offered. Kind of crazy to have a cocktail after dinner instead of before! And now we are in Nassau, Bahamas, where there is free internet access right in the terminal building. There are huge hordes of people from several cruiseships - not exactly peaceful or to my liking!

Why would you think people have grown tired? Just because we don't post doesn't mean we don't follow.

I hunted Egon down on my March 2011 cruise after following this thread and hope to do so again in March of 2013.

So please continue.........