Never too old!

Musicus

Thank you Doug, for posting the pics....I've been away...first for 7 weeks on a wonderful vacation. Then after being home for less than 2 weeks, I went to look after my father post-surgery.....so I'm just now getting back on track.

I love your kitties....your Bright Eyes looks identical to my Samson !! I love kitties...oops, did I say that already!!

I guess Egon received a new passport....I must go catch up on things!!

Hi Pat!!

Thanks again,

Joyce :D

Thank you Doug, for posting the pics....I've been away...first for 7 weeks on a wonderful vacation. Then after being home for less than 2 weeks, I went to look after my father post-surgery.....so I'm just now getting back on track.

I love your kitties....your Bright Eyes looks identical to my Samson !! I love kitties...oops, did I say that already!!

I guess Egon received a new passport....I must go catch up on things!!

Hi Pat!!

Thanks again,

Welcome back Joyce! Hope you had a wonderful extended vacation. I was getting concerned as to where you were, but at my age sometimes the brain is warped and I forget things.:confused:

Welcome back Joyce! Hope you had a wonderful extended vacation. I was getting concerned as to where you were, but at my age sometimes the brain is warped and I forget things.:confused:

Thank you for the welcome back!! When I left, Egon had his camera stolen along with other items..ie passport...so I knew that there were no pictures to post.....I haven't yet read the updates.....so much to do, so little time....LOL

Joyce - Glad to see you back. You do have some catching up to do.

I like the name Samson for a kitty, but don't get me started on my kitties or I'll be posting pictures of them instead of Egon's pic's :p

You could post both.....not showing any favourtism....LOL.... ;)

Thank you for the welcome back!! When I left, Egon had his camera stolen along with other items..ie passport...so I knew that there were no pictures to post.....I haven't yet read the updates.....so much to do, so little time....LOL

You could post both.....not showing any favourtism....LOL.... ;)

He is off and running again Joyce! Lots of reading to do apparently. He also had another accident, but it is healing for him this time.

Joyce, I didn't realize you could take the train all the way to Port Huron, I love that town. I used to live in London, Ontario and that is how I would cross to do my grocery shopping to smuggle back into Canada!!

The train sounds like fun. Your fall travels look exciting.

Have fun

K

K...for sure you can take the train to Port Huron from Chicago..in fact, that train used to go into Sarnia....but Border Security put a stop to that a few years ago.

We always go over to PH (as my Mom and I called it) to do some great shopping. My Dad buys his gasoline over there and his chocolate milk...the full fat kind...the best kind...:p

The train was very enjoyable and cost alot less than VIA Rail too.

Your grand kids are adorable!!!

I envy you! Sure sounds like a great trip. A former cruiser friend of mine who died last year always took the train to and from New Orleans and loved it. As for Canada, never been there in my life. Have a great trip my friend!:)

Pat...you must come to Canada some day...it is beautiful...as beautiful as the US....and worth the trip!!

I did have a wonderful trip...thank you!

You're very welcome...to all those who thanked me for posting the pictures...it was no problem at all!! Now I thank Doug for posting them!! If you want a break...I can do them again.

Pat, thank you for posting all the 'documentary'.....I'm glad to read that Egon's elbow is healing nicely.

So sorry to hear of your faithful companion's passing. It is so very hard. Do know that he is at peace and out of pain. His beloved memory will live in your heart forever

It looks like Egon is in a very nice place...certainly nicer than here...LOL But we have no snow yet here in Ottawa!! I'm hoping for a green Christmas...the first one since 2006...but that's not that long ago...hahaha

A good day to all tomorrow!!

You're very welcome...to all those who thanked me for posting the pictures...it was no problem at all!! Now I thank Doug for posting them!! If you want a break...I can do them again.

Sure, now that you're back, I'll let you resume your regular picture posting duties. :)

K...for sure you can take the train to Port Huron from Chicago..in fact, that train used to go into Sarnia....but Border Security put a stop to that a few years ago.

We always go over to PH (as my Mom and I called it) to do some great shopping. My Dad buys his gasoline over there and his chocolate milk...the full fat kind...the best kind...:p

The train was very enjoyable and cost alot less than VIA Rail too.

Your grand kids are adorable!!!

Pat...you must come to Canada some day...it is beautiful...as beautiful as the US....and worth the trip!!

I did have a wonderful trip...thank you!

Do any ships cruise there? lol

Pat, thank you for posting all the 'documentary'.....I'm glad to read that Egon's elbow is healing nicely.[/color][/font]

So sorry to hear of your faithful companion's passing. It is so very hard. Do know that he is at peace and out of pain. His beloved memory will live in your heart forever

I miss him so much, but I have to admit that it is much quieter with the 3 that remain...all over the age of 9. I can still feel him lying in my lap that day and very calm. I feel like I let him down, but then again I knew he was suffering so much. Unfortunately, my small 4 lb. yorkie is in the beginning stage of the same ailment (collapsed trachea). I want to start her on steroids soon after New Year. Finally going to TN to see our 3 g-sons down in Knoxville and taking the 3 dogs along and staying in a beautiful cabin. I haven't seen them in 1-1/2 years. Missing out on so much.

Edited by yellowbird23

I now understand why Egon spends so much time on the computer. I am now an e mail buddy, and he is the most prolific poster. He has all kinds of jokes and videos to send. I probably am receiving more mail from him than any other person, so I know his many friends must be sending him loads of stuff to look at and read. It is great that an older person can have so much fun!

I just found this thread this morning about 4:00 and have been reading it ever since. Just got caught up.

Egon is really a character and probably should write a book.

I have stayed in the hotel he is staying in in Cozumel. Very nice and friendly people but a good distance from town. It was the last land vacation my husband and I took before he passed. Very good memories for me. I was shocked when I read the name (which I thought I recognized) and then saw the pictures.

Yellowbird, partyofone and ladysail2 thanks for keeping up posting with this thread.

Do any ships cruise there? lol

They sure do! On the East Coast...you have ships going to places in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec....and on the West Coast...ships go to Victoria and Vancouver....and I hear that some may now be stopping in Prince George, BC.....how's that??!! No excuses, now!!! :p

Egon just sent me this....enjoy it for yourselves too folks!

http://www.flixxy.com/denver-airport-holiday-flash-mob.htm

Oh wow....to be that young, that good looking, and dance so well.....c'mon Santa..just give me one out of three.....LOL... :p:p

Thanks for posting that, Pat. Aren't flash mobs great!!

They sure do! On the East Coast...you have ships going to places in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec....and on the West Coast...ships go to Victoria and Vancouver....and I hear that some may now be stopping in Prince George, BC.....how's that??!!

Pretty funny, actually. (Look up Prince George on the map)

I suspect you meant Prince Rupert. :D

That's interesting. I didn't know they had a cruiseport there now.

Thank you for the information and for the smile, Joyce. (It is easy to mix up a couple of princes)

Burm - That was one of the ports of call on my 2004 Alaska cruise on the NCL Spirit.

Is it a pretty area? I once spent a winter about 100 miles inland from there, but never made it to Prince Rupert because of the winter weather and roads.

To all my wonderful friends I've met in the last year in here, I am hoping that you all have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day tomorrow however you spend it. Hopefully, none of you will be alone. If you are, e-mail me and I will keep you company for a while. Hope you don't have to go "solo" on this particular day.

Patty in PA:):):)

To all my wonderful friends I've met in the last year in here, I am hoping that you all have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day tomorrow however you spend it. Hopefully, none of you will be alone. If you are, e-mail me and I will keep you company for a while. Hope you don't have to go "solo" on this particular day.

Patty in PA:):):)

Merry Christmas to you also!!!!!

Pics to follow

Essentially, this is a pretty lonely existence and I feel it. At night, I go around 6.30 to the very nice restaurant here, but sit in the lounge adjacent to it and have my drink - so far I have not seen anybody there. Finally I go down to a table. People around me are young couples, newly or still in love, and not to be disturbed; a group of five young women obivously not interested in an old man, and an elderly couple ocuupied with chewing their cud - cretainly not an inspiring ambiance form my point of view. So I finish my drink and have my meal, try to change with the waiter a $20 Bill for 9-ones and one 10 so that I can leave a tip but am not able to until maybe next night, and so I drag myself home to write this before I forget the feeling.

(A few days later) There are many more older couples here now and it seems the place is finally filling up for the holidays. Last night there was "Mexican Night" in front of the La Isla restaurant, but as usual it was very hard to divine what was in the rechauds once you pulled back the cover. Nevertheless, everything is always good eating but unfortunately by the time one gets to sit down, the food is no longer hot. However, I had two drinks and sat down at one of the tables where there was already a couple, he from Poland, she from Lithuania, both living in the US. Later we were joined by another American couple and at least there was some conversation. Then they had again the Mexican Folk Dancers on the small stage which they call a "Mini Theater" and they really are very good. Somebody had told me that there would be Mariachis and that's what I was looking forward to, but it didn't happen. Too bad.

The fact is that, despite being known, greeted and talked to by a lot of employees here, despite occasionally getting to know some people and rarely befriend them only to see them leave again, I feel quite alone, if not lonely. But I guess that's the way it is eventually.

OK, enough of that whining. In the mornings I always walk down to La Isla for breakfast |(just juice, some fruit, toast - occasionally an egg and rarely come bacon or sausage, coffee with milk because they don't have coffeecream). The Mexican blackbirds are hovering around hoping for handouts - the occasional courageous one even will take a piece from your outstretched hand. Others wait for the right moment to land on a table where people just left and steal something from one of their plates. Apart from this they emit occasional unmelodic shrieks. Once in a while a lone pelican flies along the shores and pounces violently into the water for the fish he saw, which he then somewhat awkwardly has to expedite down into his throat from the big sack under the beak - he does it by pointing it straight up and shaking it. But the view from where I usually sit is over the ocean. Further out one of the large catamarans is parked over one of the many reefs and disgorges a horde of divers and snorkelers; there are many boats passing by, some for deepsea fishing, some for hauling parasails, some to take people to other reefs and then there is also the small looking glassbottom boat. Of course there are also yachts just cruising around and jetscooters flitting about. But I have not seen any water skiers.

When I got to my restaurant here at the Regency club, there was a big wedding celebration party in full swing and the people were dancing to the music of a 5-man Mariachi Band - the first live music I've heard at Sabor. I sat, had my drink and enjoyed watching the revelers. When they eventually proceeded to eat in one of the enclosed rooms, I, too went, sat at a table for two. What a romantic setting, on this balcony at the water's edge, with the gentle waves lapping ashore, the balmy air and subdued music (canned) in the background. But alas, the seat opposite me was empty.

As I left, people at another table stopped and greeted me - they are from Canada and knew that I was too because they had seen me on the scooter with the Canadian flag. We will have dinner together tonight at Roberto's.

December 24: Like in Europe, Christmas Eve in Mexico is more important than Christmas Day and is celebrated with special meals, La Posada, Piñatas, singing and dancing. Everyone of the staff I encounter, especially the ones who greet me as Señor Egon, wishes "Feliz Navidad". There will be Turkey tonight at all the restaurants, with all the trimmings, and there are activities planned. Despite all this, the feeling lacks that "Christmas' feeling of course.

There suddenly are a lot of newcomers and this noon, sitting on the balcony of La Isla for Lunch, I observed them - all age groups, all shapes and sizes (a few to love, many to get out of the way of) mostly scantily dressed and occasionally just barely covering focal points; white skin waiting for a sunburn.

A few evenings ago I got to know a nice couple from Canada, here with their 13 year old son and we spent dinners together and befriended each other. All born in Canada, but Jackie of German ancestry and speaks German fluently, Olivier from Martigny, Switzerland. They live way up North in Fort McMurray, Alberta, where he is connected to the oil field enterprises. Very nice people indeed, she very pretty and Jake, the son, a boy to be proud of.

Merry Christmas, dear friends.